PDA

View Full Version : Will soaking chain destroy O-rings??

Limboavionic
12-20-2006, 11:40 AM
I have been neglecting keeping my chain clean and it's due for replacement or a solvent soak. If I do soak it in solvent, will the O-rings be affected? I used an entire can of WD-40 and brushed away most most of the rust but can't get into the tight spots. Is it worth it just to buy a new one and keep up with the required maintenance? Thanks.

GPracer2500
12-20-2006, 12:27 PM
I'd replace it. You don't want any solvent getting behind the o-rings.

Limboavionic
12-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Yeah that's kinda what i figured. The last thing I need is to take a 4 hour road trip to the dunes just to snap off a chain the first time up the hill. I'll get a new one and just keep this as an emergency backup.

Sjorge450R
12-20-2006, 05:15 PM
look at the DID ATV X ring chains. Ive had good expericences with them on my 300 and I plan on getting one half way through the race season for my R.

blueyeace1
12-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Try using kerosun it works great and has a oil base which is good for it after its clean.

Limboavionic
12-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by blueyeace1
Try using kerosun it works great and has a oil base which is good for it after its clean.

That sounds good. I'll try that. Thanks.:devil:

byrdman37876
12-20-2006, 07:49 PM
how rusty is your chain and does the sprockets look really wore down? if so i would get a chain and sprocket set at the same time.much easier to get the whole combo and let it all wear down together rather than just getting a new chain. new chain is ok for a quick fix but the old sprockets might wear it out quicker.

just my opion.

GPracer2500
12-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by byrdman37876
....but the old [worn] sprockets might wear it out quicker...

Absolutely. Old sprockets on a new chain or a new sprockets on an old chain will wear out the new item in no time.

firefighterjosh
12-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Buy the chain and sprocket kit. I think the cheapest I found one was $100 or a little more.

Also instead of using crappy WD 40 I have been using PJ1 Chain Wax. This stuff seems to work very well.:)

sandmanblue
12-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Does the current chain bend and move freely? If so, the rust might be just on the outside of the chain and unless it's really bad, there might not be a problem with it.

I have read that you should NEVER use WD-40 or kerosene on an o-ring chain. The lubricant is so light, that it seeps past the o-rings and into the links, where it dissolves the grease and ruins the lubricity. For a regular chain, kerosene, mineral spirits or gasoline is a great way to clean the chain - but DON'T use those on an o-ring chain.

Chain lubes are kind of waste in my opinion too. If the o-rings are in good shape, there's no reason to lube the chain - other than to coat it with a thin layer to protect it from rust and to lubricate the outside of the o-rings a little bit.

Believe it or not, regular old motor oil lubes these chains very well and you can wipe the excess off with a rag. It does fling off a bit, but it's easy to clean and cheap. Sand and grit doesnt' stick to it either.

Been using oil on o-ring chains for a LONG time.

Limboavionic
12-21-2006, 10:20 AM
how rusty is your chain and does the sprockets look really wore down? if so i would get a chain and sprocket set at the same time.much easier to get the whole combo and let it all wear down together rather than just getting a new chain. new chain is ok for a quick fix but the old sprockets might wear it out quicker.

just my opion.

The chain bends and moves freely, it's mainly just ugly. It might be ok. The front and rear sprockets are fairly new and do not look worn at all.

Limboavionic
12-21-2006, 10:36 AM

just my opion.

The chain bends and moves freely, it's mainly just ugly. It might be ok. The front and rear sprockets are fairly new and do not look worn at all.

firefighterjosh
12-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Limboavionic

With your O ring chain try using Chain WAX. Comes in a can you spray on. Stuff really lasts and is not sticking at all. I belive PJ1 makes it. Most dealers have it

byrdman37876
12-21-2006, 11:55 AM
i'm with sandman on this. i use stp in the blue bottle on mine. that is the slickest stuff i think they make. motor oil is by far the best on a chain. anybody that cut's a lot of tree's for wood will know that oil is the best on high speed chains.:D

kbass24emtp
12-21-2006, 01:09 PM
I have been using this stuff. I found it at Lowes. http://www.performancelubricant.dupont.com/dp_products_multi.html It dryes fast and does not fling off. It is also safe for o-ring chains. Here is a link for it at Lowes http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=213197-39963-D00110101&lpage=none

byrdman37876
12-21-2006, 01:18 PM
hey kbass how is that hrc kit??? is it worth the money? just wanting to know thought about getting it also for my 07.

Limboavionic
12-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by kbass24emtp
I have been using this stuff. I found it at Lowes. http://www.performancelubricant.dupont.com/dp_products_multi.html It dryes fast and does not fling off. It is also safe for o-ring chains. Here is a link for it at Lowes http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=213197-39963-D00110101&lpage=none

Perfect...thanks for all of the info guys. :devil:

kbass24emtp
12-21-2006, 08:06 PM
It made a huge differance in power with full exhaust. Worth every penny.

fatkid400
12-22-2006, 03:58 PM
I agree with the person recommending the X ring.Had 1 on my cr 250 for 2 years befor selling the bike and only adjusted it 1 time.And thats with my 250 pound butt trail riding in sand,mud Everything. Really a good chain.I'll put 1 on my 450 when my stocker takes an crap(Its about there now).

GIXXER1KR
12-22-2006, 04:24 PM
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/amh.aspx

Best stuff ive used!!!!!!!!

N300exJ
12-24-2006, 06:09 AM
We run DID X ring chains on all of our quads here. They are the best hands down. Highest tensil strength for peformance machines. they will stretch once and never again.

I always use bel ray chainwax.

Sjorge450R
12-24-2006, 07:39 AM
i use Maxima Chain Guard. I used one can for almost an entire race season and I use spray my chain a lot! I started using it whenI called C&D and asked whats everyone buying and they sent this. Its only like 4.99 a can too.