PDA

View Full Version : Ice Racing :)))))))))

animal1
12-19-2006, 03:38 PM
well its that time of year and now the i have a quad of my own to take on the ice i have a question about my setup...to start im plannin on gettin so cheng shins for rubber. alot of guys i kno run these and say they wouldnt run anything else. i havent decided on studs yet as there are alot to choose from. any suggestions? finally i want to find a good deal on some 8" wheels for my rear. anyone know where to get a good price on 8s? im goin to lower it with the crj perfomrance kit. i kno lowering kits arent the greatest. but this will be all flat track riding and i will be removing them once the ice is gone. any other suggestions are appreciated...i almost like the ice better then the summer. haha

animal1
12-19-2006, 03:43 PM
pics of peoples setups would be cool.

lee31
12-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Your best bet is to go to magic racing they have lots of ice racing goodies. Your are also gonna want a sway bar they help alot if you dont have wider a arms and axle i would buy some dura blue wheel spacers. I use kold kutter studs i use 1/2 I only threw about 10 last year my buddy bought the 1 inch and put nuts on the back thats totally up to you. Magic has a ice racing page you defentily want a lowering kit sway bar and you also want your quad wider hope i could help

animal1
12-19-2006, 05:47 PM
yes that does help alot. i dont think i will be getting a sway bar this year. i dont plan on doing many events but we are on a lake almost everyday. im prolly going to hold off on the sway bar but i do kno it helps alot. theres two guys i kno that run em and it makes them quite a bit faster thru the turns and keepin more stable. i already have the spacers on there. and the kold kutters seem to be the popular stud as well. thanks. anyone else?

Got nads?
12-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Here are a couple pics from last year, not the best but you kind of get the idea. We race in Alberta, Canada's ice endurance racing. It consists of 6 six hour races and 1 twenty four hour race. Last year we ran studded kenda mx klaws and they had amazing traction and handeling characteristics, however they were not real reliable for our application. We are trying something different this year.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i132/1red450/Lance007.jpg

IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i132/1red450/Lance008.jpg[/IMG]:D

Got nads?
12-19-2006, 08:06 PM
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i132/1red450/Lance008-1.jpg

animal1
12-20-2006, 01:07 PM
what kind of setup will you try this year?

exrider44
12-20-2006, 04:31 PM
I have to admit I am jealous! We havent had cold enough weather for anything to freeze.

ICER88
12-20-2006, 05:12 PM
if your going to go out and buy tires and studs. the best tire to get is an ice tire .
(chin shin)rear . the front i use fast trackers. the studs i use are gold cutters. looks like a sheet metel screw with a v cut into the top. if your serious about it (racing) these are the only way to go. DO NOT use sheet metelscrews. i have 1300 studs total
450 in each rear and 200 in each front.
if want i'll put a few pics up if you want

Structure240sx
12-20-2006, 08:13 PM
kinda on topic question

what kind of gloves are you guys using in cold weather that keeps ur hands warm, dry, and enough flexibilty to shift and brake

scubasteve450r
12-20-2006, 08:31 PM
i run rubber class instead of studded but i am still in the same weather. i just wear the least i can for the temperature. last year i wore anything from a typical riding glove to chopper mitts. i fell it is most important to be able to fell my hands , i will deal with the bulkyness.

scubasteve450r
12-20-2006, 08:33 PM
any body in other parts of the country run rubber ice class? wonder if your setup is about the same?

400excracer
12-21-2006, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by animal1
yes that does help alot. i dont think i will be getting a sway bar this year. i dont plan on doing many events but we are on a lake almost everyday. im prolly going to hold off on the sway bar but i do kno it helps alot. theres two guys i kno that run em and it makes them quite a bit faster thru the turns and keepin more stable. i already have the spacers on there. and the kold kutters seem to be the popular stud as well. thanks. anyone else? Next to studs, a sway bar is the most important thing you can have on your quad for ice racing. i would get a sway bar before a lowering kit any day. I use 1" Kold Kutters with nylock nuts on the inside. This is a little more time consuming but worth it. Chen Shin's on the rear is a good choice. Try three rib tractor tires up front, they work the best. I know that sounds funny, but it is true. Get as much ice time as you can and have fun!

Houser450
12-21-2006, 05:10 PM
As for setup
chen shin ice tire 18by9by8 for the rear with 1 stud per knob
some people use nuts inside but the rear tires dont hold up to the horsepower machines put out these days so if you have nuts thats just bigger whole to fix when they pull through
as for the front Razr Mx 20by6by10 2studs per lug outside lugs and i believe 6 in the middle lugs. mine are on there fourth year and just starting to leak slowly. Fast trekkers dont hook as good and the kenda klaws dont hold up as good.

as for lowering dont go to low but lowering helps. CRJ's front lowering kit leaves your shocks stiff as the ice your riding on. and you dont gain anything because you lose traction with stiff shocks. and if you hit a bank hard enough they will bend your shock shaft, not engineered very good.
Adjustable lowering struts work very good.

as for width you dont want to go to wide either keep it around 48 to 50 if possible or else you lose traction, and makes it harder to get around the competitors on a narrow lined track whick is pretty much every ice track at some point in the day.

Hope i could help any other questions let me know
Lee

Got nads?
12-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by animal1
what kind of setup will you try this year?

We just finished studding up 2 full sets of mx razors, we are not real big fans of cheng shin tires as the knob are so close that they have tended to pack up in snowy conditions. Just our opinion though, pretty much nobody runs these tire up here anymore, although they work really well on an extremely clean ice surface. We use inch and a quarter long cold cutter ice screws that are nutted on the backside with speed nuts.

animal1
12-21-2006, 08:55 PM
im gettin the cheng shins with the kold kutters for sure. where is everyone getting their 8" rear wheels from? im not looking to spend a whole lot. where can i find adjustible lowering struts? who makes a good front end lowering kit that is not too stiff?

animal1
12-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by ICER88
if your going to go out and buy tires and studs. the best tire to get is an ice tire .
(chin shin)rear . the front i use fast trackers. the studs i use are gold cutters. looks like a sheet metel screw with a v cut into the top. if your serious about it (racing) these are the only way to go. DO NOT use sheet metelscrews. i have 1300 studs total
450 in each rear and 200 in each front.
if want i'll put a few pics up if you want

post up some more pics!! i will be making a video of us screwin around as soon as we get more ice...doesnt seem like too many people have videos from the ice so not many people kno how great it is!