PDA

View Full Version : Dealer/Warnty Problems

kos462
12-19-2006, 03:33 PM
purchased a brand new 2006er about a year ago and the locked up. took it to the dealer because i purchased the extended warranty coverage.

so the dealer calls me and confirms that the quad is locked up and tells me that it wont be covered under warranty because the cylinder is a normal wear item and these quads need to be rebuilt every 20 hrs (witch tells ya he don' no his a@s from a hole in the ground) so me and my dad argued with him about this and the dealer told us he isin't doing anything until the honda rep looks at it

This is complete bull s#it and very aggravating that u pay the extra money to have a longer warranty and all u get is excuses and run arounds

what is your options on this and what should i do

GPracer2500
12-19-2006, 03:46 PM
What exactly did the dealer say caused the lock-up?

American Honda customer service: 1-866-784-1870

honda4life72
12-19-2006, 03:49 PM
rebuilt every 20 hours? mine had 20 hours the first 3 days lol..... thats a buncha bull

kos462
12-19-2006, 03:54 PM
they didn't tear it apart i think they went off the fact that when u go to crank it over with a fully charged battery the starter barely turns it over and if it does its really slow. but when it locked up it was dragging the rear tires and it would barely rev. im a very experenced when it a engine is locked up because i own a cannondale and that locked up about once a month

GPracer2500
12-19-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't understand how the dealer can refuse warranty service without finding out what the actual problem is. :confused:

Good luck.

mymastifftucker
12-21-2006, 02:14 PM
I just bought my 07 about 4 months ago and bought the warranty also. The warranty was explained to me like this.....as long as I dont take the engine apart to do any internal mods ie:cam or any other internal work, and do the scheduled maintenace, its under warranty for a full 5 years. How does the dealer know how many hours are on it? theres no meter. If thats the hangup, tell him its got 19.5 hours! Its ridiculous to say a 450 has to be rebuilt every 20 hours, the owners manual only tells you to change the oil every 10. So every other oil chnge, just do the piston and rings also!!I'd be on the phone with honda warranty, the number is in the paperwork you got with the warranty.

kos462
12-21-2006, 03:02 PM
got a phone call today from the dealer and the honda rep looked at it and found that the crank bearing locked up and will be covered 100% by honda.

its just the shame of it that the dealer has to give everybody a hard time and make things frustrating all it does is make honda and thereselves out to look bad.

did anybody else have problems with there 06 crank berings locked up i thought for 06 they fix this problem so it wouldnt happen like the 05's

y3llow400ex
12-21-2006, 10:23 PM
do u have the hrc kit? i thought honda only reccomended changing the piston andn rings every 20 hours if it had the hrc kit which is still a crock of *****

ckasper18
12-22-2006, 07:48 AM
First off the 450er/r is a high performance machine and yes they recommend 20 hours this is a high performance quad .Your dealer could have been nicer about the matter but he was right by calling the service rep it has to go through there approval first and they do a great job and look out for your best interest.

There is a phone number in the back of the owners manual to call when having these problems and your dealer sounds like they did a great job and they did do the right thing.Our service rep is a pleasure to work with.*****ing gets you no where because nobody listens Put your self in there shoes.

AGAIN YOU OWN A HIGH PERFORMANCE QUAD

iamjasyn
12-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by ckasper18
First off the 450er/r is a high performance machine and yes they recommend 20 hours this is a high performance quad .Your dealer could have been nicer about the matter but he was right by calling the service rep it has to go through there approval first and they do a great job and look out for your best interest.

There is a phone number in the back of the owners manual to call when having these problems and your dealer sounds like they did a great job and they did do the right thing.Our service rep is a pleasure to work with.*****ing gets you no where because nobody listens Put your self in there shoes.

It saddens me that atv riding has come to problems like this. I'm a 2stroke guy (obviously), and I just pulled apart an old 88R and the original crank is just now coming onto the wear limit. 20 hours sounds excessive - that's maybe the "race" figure. It's not so much the hours either, it's the rpms. The higher the rpms the faster and more intense the wear - especially to the top end. My CR250 has numbers for race and for rec conditions in the manual.

mymastifftucker
12-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by ckasper18

If its that high performance than they shouldnt offer a warranty on it at all, like the crf 450. The dealer should do all he can to please the customer, especially if you bought the extended warranty to start with. There are other choices out there for 450's and if the next guy goes and buys a Yamaha because the Honda dealer is a jerk, than what did he accomplish? The dealer was not right IMO.

ckasper18
12-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Yes the dealer should of treated you better as i stated before he had a bad attitude thats not Hondas fault but good luck with what ever model you choose..................

And no there should not be extended warrenty on 450r performance quads just my .02 cents worth

JW450R1
12-24-2006, 04:28 AM
i've heard many of horror stories about extended warrentys.
sometimes i think it another way for honda to get more money out of the deal.i also agree,then honda shouldn't even offer a extended warrenty on there"RACE MACHINES".internal motor parts should still be covered even if u install a honda hrc cam kit they honda offers to sell.thats my opinion.