PDA

View Full Version : mobil 1 oil

400ex07
12-19-2006, 02:57 PM
I have a 2007 400 ex. I am changing the oil so I bought Mobil 1 racing 4T fully synthetic 10w40. Does anyone know if this is bad for it? Thanks

81 clark racing
12-19-2006, 04:43 PM
hey your phone died man. but ya screw that i wouldnt chance it just get the oil honda reccomands (sp)

honda300EXtreme
12-19-2006, 05:00 PM
ive been told several times to not run car oil because it has additives that are not good for a quad engine id go with honda oil and id stick with the semi-synthetic to prevent any sort of tranny failure

skott1576
12-19-2006, 05:42 PM
its not a car oil its a on/off road 4 cycle oil thats made for wet clutch engines

honda300EXtreme
12-20-2006, 02:14 PM
oh... sorry, yea you should be alright but tranny slippage/ failure could still happen

AZ_TRX400EX
12-20-2006, 07:25 PM
I run full synthetic Mobil 1 ATV racing oil 10/40 for wet cluches and it works great. ;)

Eviltanker
12-21-2006, 08:08 AM
You could look into Klotz

450ERRRRRR!
12-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Great oil!! I've always used Mobil1 MX4T in all my quads and they love it. I saw for the first time the oil you got and I'm sure it top notch stuff. Check out mobile 1's website for all your questions.
I have run it in both the transmission and engine side in my 450r and it also loves it.

2004exrider
12-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by skott1576
its not a car oil its a on/off road 4 cycle oil thats made for wet clutch engines

You'll be fine since its wet clutch safe. The additives you have to watch out for are "moly." That stuff will get in your clutch and make it slip like crazy!

Jimmy

hondaracer57
12-22-2006, 03:14 PM
i wouldnt use syntetic in it if u dont have a lot of hours on it thogh i heard it aint good till u get some miles on the quad...

gitrdone
12-23-2006, 07:19 PM
use thumper racing oil it is the best you can get in my mind

blasterandy
12-23-2006, 08:07 PM
how about castol motorcycle 4t 10w-40. What do you guys think

donny-g
12-31-2006, 03:55 PM
I am just curious, why wouldn’t just use what Honda recommends?
You are going to just spend more money, and do you think you will
get anything in return for it. The TRX400EX is a proven engine to
start with. I can’t for the life of me imagine how another oil (synthetic
or otherwise will give you added years of life or performance. Just the
basic maintenance alone and on schedule will do wonders for any engine.

Simply, there is just no one oil that is magic, and will save your engine from
wear. If synthetic oil really made that big of a difference, then it would
be on the World News Tonight, and everyone would to out and use
synthetic in all internal combustion engines to add years of life.

Just my opinion though.

2004exrider is correct! Don’t use Moly additives.

Some of my quads have lots of miles, lots of hills and tracks. I have
never used synthetic (except for Polaris and Mercedes), and I have the
tightest engines around. If it made a difference, then how better could some
of my older quads be? Tight compression, starts first time, every time, and lots
of power. All run on Honda GN4 10w-40w.

johnsls
01-01-2007, 07:45 AM
I have to agree with Donny-G. If you change your oil often enough it doesn't matter. I think there are a lot of guys paying $10 a quart and I doubt there engines will last any longer.

I went the route of synthetic and realized it was too much wasted money.

WhtPrd09
01-01-2007, 10:48 AM
I run hp4 synthetic. i noticed that it is alot easier to get it into gears and not hitting a fake neutral. i change my oil once a month and its strong as it was new. just a lil upgrades tho. but i was told after i put it in that it can get way to libricating and spin a bearing. but i run the hell out of my bike and ive never had a problem. but the oil is up to u.

oldskoolex400
01-01-2007, 11:30 AM
see why people are scared of synthetic is because when synthetic came out all of it had friction modifiers which are hard on the clutch fibers, now they have synthetics without friction modifiers but people still remember them having modifiers in them so people are still scared, me i usually run whatever brand of bike i have the factory recommended on a honda i believe gn4 10w-40
on the yfz i run yamalube 20w-40

2004exrider
01-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by WhtPrd09
...but i was told after i put it in that it can get way to libricating and spin a bearing. but i run the hell out of my bike and ive never had a problem. but the oil is up to u.

There's no such thing as too much lubrication (no pun intended), an oil giving good protection to an engine should never damage it in any sort of way. Using a synthetic during break in is a completely different story.

Jimmy

donny-g
01-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Hi 2004exrider:

What is the issue with using syn during break-in? Just curious about that.

Donny-G

2004exrider
01-01-2007, 03:47 PM
In theory it will offer to much lubrication and not let the rings seat properly to the cylinder during the initial break in. To some its controversial, but motoman does a pretty good job describing it.
In theory it will offer to much lubrication and not let the rings seat properly to the cylinder during the initial break in. To some its controversial, but motoman does a pretty good job describing it. <http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm>

Jimmy

jrafter
01-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by 2004exrider
In theory it will offer to much lubrication and not let the rings seat properly to the cylinder during the initial break in. To some its controversial, but motoman does a pretty good job describing it.
In theory it will offer to much lubrication and not let the rings seat properly to the cylinder during the initial break in. To some its controversial, but motoman does a pretty good job describing it. <http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm>

Jimmy

i would think honda breaks in there moters at the factory and its not that big of a deal anymore.

also from what i have read on ofter forums rings arnt made out of the same metals they where years ago so break in doesnt take as log as it did.

im not expert ....just what i read

donny-g
01-02-2007, 07:46 AM
This whole break-in issue is interesting. I hope more riders respond with their experiences. I am going through break-in now on a new 400EX, but I have chose to go with all HONDA factory recommendations. I may be a chicken ****. But too much money to change and too awesome of an ATV.

Thanks all