PDA

View Full Version : 400ex cluch slipping

hondaracer57
12-19-2006, 02:34 PM
i have a 2000 400ex it is bored 1 size over with 11:1 compression piston and a stage one cam...i put new magnum clutches in it but after i broke it in and flattracked it twice they were toast...so i put the stocks back in and they lasted for a little but they were old...but now heres the really problem i put new barnett clutches in it and they didnt work form the start so i put a new pressure plate in and boss plate with new barnett clutches and still are slippin... it mostly slips in high rpms and on hills...i ajusted the cable a million times tore it apart like 5 times and doin the same thing oild dont smell like burnt clutches either... o and i soaked the clutches in oil before installin...

so can anyone help me?

lpmaster
12-19-2006, 04:58 PM
ya, mine was doing the same thing, if you still have the stock basket you need to make sure the last fiber goes into the small slots on top of the teeth that make the slots for all the other plates anf fibers. once i went back AND did this it worked 100%

mine too was noticable only under load like going uphills

p.s. i got the pm :)

hondaracer57
12-19-2006, 05:03 PM
u mean the last fiber i put on make sure i offset it on to the smaller slots on the basket...cause im pretty sure i did that

lpmaster
12-19-2006, 05:09 PM
if you did that make sure your springs and bolts are tight and not stripped and that there is no excessive wear on the basket, after that its all adjustment or your makin too much power and its just wheel spin you feel

also did you soak the fibers in oil before install?

clymer reasons for clutch slippage:

incorrect adjustment
weak or damaged clutch springs
loose clutch springs
worn friction plates
warped steel plates
worn.damaged lifter arm

check cable routing and look for a kinked cable as well

hondaracer57
12-19-2006, 05:14 PM
yeah i soaked the fibers and no its slippin cause i will do it on the road in high rpms in 5th gear so it aint burnin tire lol but yeah im puzzled ppl told me to just put new stock clutches in it but that 120 more bucks plus every thing is new so it aint striped and i checked the basket its in pretty good shape

lpmaster
12-19-2006, 05:16 PM
edited last post only other thing i can think of is adjustment then unfortunately i dont think its inside the clutch cover ;)

hondaracer57
12-19-2006, 05:31 PM
u got any ideas what it could be other than clutches?

sandshots
12-20-2006, 05:00 PM
what is the symptom of a slipping clutch?
your gears dont feel fully engaged?
does it feel like your holding the clutch in half ways when your not?

ive never experienced clutch sliping so im trying to figure it out, i think one of my buddies bike might be.

hondaracer57
12-20-2006, 05:24 PM
well i have no idea what mines doin...but i have had other clutches slip on me and whe u let the clutch out the quad wont move till u rev the quad up higher...

fastest400ex
12-30-2006, 09:02 AM
FIRST QUESTION I WILL ASK IS ARE YOU RUNNING SYNTHETIC..IF SO STOP... TAKE THAT CRAP OUT..IF YOU WANT THAT BEAST HOOK UP PUT THE 250R CLUTCHES IN THERE(YOU CAN RUN A EXTRA CLUTCH IN THERE)..OR GET THE HINSON KIT AND MAKE SURE YOUR BASKET DOESNT HAVE GROOVES IN IT

hondaracer57
12-30-2006, 09:24 AM
no im not runnin synthetic i use 10w-40 plan honda oil...u can use 250r clutches? i just bought new OEM clutches but havent put them in yet... i dont understand what could be wrong i got a new boss plate new pressure plateand it still sliped but the clutches i put in it were new but where used in the old bossandpressure for bout an hr so i dont know if that could of messed them up or not...if the new OEM clutches dont fix it i dont know what will...

deathman53
12-30-2006, 07:28 PM
did you replace your metal plates and springs also?, those can make the cluth slip. I had a instance in my 200x where the oil caused the cluth to slip, bel-ray thumper oil, I can use any brand, non and fully synthetic with no slippage, but the above oil. I use klotz techiplate 15/50 in my bikes with no slipping. If you don't already know, honda oem fibers and metals are the best you can get, the barnet fibers create grooves in the basket, from them being harder than the basket itself, Ebc's wear out very fast.

hondaracer57
01-01-2007, 06:51 PM
lol yins guys are gonna laugh at me.. i tor my clutches out today and i found out the reason they were slippin...i put every thing together right except for the last two fibers instead of me putting the last fiber in the offset slot on the basket i put the second too last fiber in it and put the lastfiber in the other slot lol dont ask me how i did it but thanx for all the help.....