PDA

View Full Version : Paddle questions

kiesta00
12-19-2006, 11:50 AM
What size paddles would you recommend for a 288 stroker for mainly dragging/duning? I was thinking about 21x11x8 10 paddle extreme haulers but someone said that 10 paddles might be too much...what's your thoughts? thx

GPracer2500
12-19-2006, 12:24 PM
10 is too much, IMO. And personally, I wouldn't get Extremes unless long term durability is a priority. If you stay in clean sand I wouldn't bother with Extremes. If you make runs through rocky sand (i.e. the stuff around Boardmanville and along the tracks at Glamis) or need to make gentle, short trips on pavement like at Coral Pink, then Extremes might be worth the weight penalty. Or, just tread lightly when in rough/rocky/dirty sand [shrug].

I've yet to do the paddle tire test my bud and I have planned but I'd speculate that a 10 paddle might get you out of the hole a shade faster and then cost you speed the rest of the run. Probably won't turn as well either--just too much traction. They'll just hook up and push you straight forward rather than letting the back end kick out. I wouldn't go any more than 8 paddles and would consider 7 or possibly even 6.

I think 8 inchers are the right choice. 10 inchers do tend to look a little nicer--but I believe that is their only advantage. My next set will be 8s for sure.

Most any paddle is likely to work and perform satisfactorily, but if one or two bike lengths when dragging up the hill is important and you've narrowed your choice down to Haulers than I'd probably go with 22x11x8 7 or 8 paddle ultra-light (tripple buff) Hualers. I might consider the bead to bead buff if puncture resistence is a concern.

Sand Tires Unlimited comp cut Brats in 21x12x8 6 paddle variety are considered by some to be the very best perfroming paddle available. They cost an arm and a leg though.

It's not hard to save 10 pounds of weight by picking the right paddle tire/wheel combination. 15 or even 20 pounds of savings is possible in some cases. That's a lot of weight to loose off the wheels/tires.

just $0.02

12-19-2006, 12:28 PM
For draging you want streight paddles.

ams zippers are used for alot of draging.

honda380
12-19-2006, 01:36 PM
i have some paddles if you decided on what you need. they are 20-11-9 skat trak hauler 10 paddle. they hook up awesome and you cant beat them in a straight line, but you have to put more into it when you want to turn. Corey

kiesta00
12-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Ok so I've narrowed it down to the 22x11x8 8 paddles...whats the big difference between regular haulers, bead to bead buff, and "ultra light" haulers? Someone told me you can't repair a puctured ultra light tire...is that true? I've been wanting to know the facts about these tires, seems like everyone's got a different opinion about bead to bead vs ultra light.

I might have to change my gearing if I go with a 22 inch paddle, my gearing is 13/37 right now.

Keith

GPracer2500
12-20-2006, 09:06 AM
AFAIK, the different buff levels are just how much of the tire carcass has been buffed away. The bead to bead buff goes all the way from one bead to the other. The tripple buff (aka ultra-light) is the same as the B-to-B but even more material is removed. The point of the different buffs is to reduce weight (at the expense of durability).

For the longest time I didn't even know there were different buff levels for Skat-Tracks. Seems like many/most retailers just sell the regular buff and don't give you any options for the lighter weight tires....

SMI Motorsports (http://www.smimotorsports.com/) seems to list most of the Skat-Track tire options. But even they don't list every single size/paddle #/buff type that Skat-Track makes.

250r4life
12-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by kiesta00
Ok so I've narrowed it down to the 22x11x8 8 paddles...whats the big difference between regular haulers, bead to bead buff, and "ultra light" haulers? Someone told me you can't repair a puctured ultra light tire...is that true? I've been wanting to know the facts about these tires, seems like everyone's got a different opinion about bead to bead vs ultra light.

I might have to change my gearing if I go with a 22 inch paddle, my gearing is 13/37 right now.

Keith

yes, you will most definately need to change your gearing if you go with the 22 inch paddle...

and especially if you race up the hill and not just on flat sand...

im assuming the reason you would suggest the 22s is to try and get a larger tire and get more space between each paddle? correct? or to gear it higher for the flat stuff? i am just curious why you reccomended this GP.

CHEVYZ
12-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Just from my experiences....

In the sand we are running around here, it seems that we are able to run some pretty big paddles. I can run 21" 10 paddle Extremes on my HRC 450r without a problem. The 2-strokes seem to be running slightly less tall tires with more paddle. I have some buddies selling Haulers and Rippers. I may be able to find you a set if you are interested.

kiesta00
12-20-2006, 06:19 PM
I talked to a guy from sand toyz unlimited and he told me extremes would kill my topend a lot b/c the paddles are too stiff...he's got a 250r and recommended 21" 8 paddle haulers bead to bead buffed or superlights. I'll order some soon after I get my engine back together and running. I'll prolly go bead to bead for puncture resistance and increased durablity. Can't wait :devil:

Keith

GPracer2500
12-20-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
....im assuming the reason you would suggest the 22s is to try and get a larger tire and get more space between each paddle? correct? or to gear it higher for the flat stuff? i am just curious why you reccomended this GP.

Sand tires can be hard to figure out...there's so many variables. I wish I knew all the ins and outs of each configuration.

I'm not sure what it is about 21" or 22" tires that seem to make them the highest performing. And by "seem to make them the highest performing" I mean that is the size 1) I hear most often recommended by people I trust know what they are talking about 2) that's what I see running on many of the fastest bikes with experienced duners and 3) Skat-Trak's lightest tires are most commonly available in 22" sizes (but I think they will make you any configuration you want--one retailer quoted me 8-12 weeks for a non stocked size [shrug]). I figure that must be because few go to the extra expense and trouble to get a BB buff or a tripple buff and get anything but a 22" (or 21"?) size. I'm just speculating on that though.

So take all that for what it's worth---->just me trying to piece together limited information in deciding what my next paddle choice will be. If I'm off-base about something I want to be corrected....

I screwed up on my last tire purchase and I don't want to do that again.

250r4life
12-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500

So take all that for what it's worth---->just me trying to piece together limited information in deciding what my next paddle choice will be. If I'm off-base about something I want to be corrected....

I screwed up on my last tire purchase and I don't want to do that again.

no im not trying to correct you nor say that you are wrong- i was just asking... i myself have limited experience with running larger tires.

i know a guy in our group has a 686 that kenz did up real nice, and that thing screams... well, he went and got some 21 or 22 in haulers, and hated them... then again, i dont think he altered his gearing to compensate for it... anyway, he went back to the 20 inch...

and yah, most of those guys who absolutely scream have bigger tires... however, they have a lot more engine than most people, inlcuding this 250r he is talking about...

kiesta00
12-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Well almost all of the duner/drag 250rs I see have the 22" with 10 paddles, so they must like them. 3 major companies I have called all recommended the 21" over the 20 and 22 for the 250, and one of the guys has a 370r and has tried many different combinations throughout the years and said 21" 8 paddle would be the best combo for my engine setup like it is.