PDA

View Full Version : For those of you with 2-strokes...

Guy400
09-18-2002, 04:59 PM
As many of you know my LT is mechanically 100% stock. It runs very well but obviously not the way it did when it was brand new. I decided to go out the other day and buy a set of Boyeseen reeds for it and just got them installed today. Wow, I can't believe the difference these things made!! I really can't tell all that much up on top but the throttle response and low/mid power sure improved! I did inspect the factory reeds before I removed them and both the top and bottom of the cage run 4 petals. The bottom reeds still laid flat and seemed to have good resistance still but the center 2 petals of the upper reed had a .020" gap in them and seemed pretty soft compared to the others. Boyeseen stated that their reeds will cause a somewhat rich condition but I found raising my needle one notch, running the air/fuel screw at 2-1/2 turns out and removing the airbox lid was perfect. Thing runs awesome again! Just curious if some of you pre-mixers had the same results with a reed change?

09-18-2002, 05:10 PM
Thats good, i never thought reeds did much on a 2 stroker, i had them in my blaster and i did notice to much, but hey you got what uwanted out of them and thats good!.

Bean
09-18-2002, 06:01 PM
yea, i rode a blaster wit stock reeds, next week he got em chanaged, and i knoticed a differnce, i need a moto tessari cage, LOL

airheadedduner
09-19-2002, 12:23 AM
After putting boyeseen carbon reeds in my R it would pull a 3rd gear u turn around the pear tree in my back yard, and I didn't have to touch the clutch at all. Never did that before......

WyoDuner
09-19-2002, 07:21 AM
Guy, it would seem that different machines respond differently to reeds. On my Banshee I didn't notice much of a difference with the Boyeseen reeds. Having bad reeds can certainly cause you some trouble but I think going from good stock reeds to good Boyeseen reeds makes little difference.

On the 2 strokes tuning is the #1 "trick" to getting good throttle response and low end power. After that I would say higher compression heads, reeds, timing advance ar the next in line for low end response.

Have you done a compression check and compared that to stock speck. Low compression will really hurt your low end but have less effect on top end - a fresh top end could do wonders for you.

XANDADA
09-19-2002, 08:01 AM
Hey GuyLT250R, looks like a nice lt250r. I used to live in Massillon too, anyways I noticed a lot better throttle response with the boyesen. I also tried a V-force but I didn't like it as well for my style riding (woods). The V-Force is killer for top end but sacrifices some bottom so I put back the Rad valve. If you don't have a pipe for that r - get one! I didn't see one listed in your bike description. Pipe is single best thing for two stroke hands down. Also try a bigger carb - a 36-38 keihen or mikuni works great on mine (trx250r). Also if you are still on origional top end - which is simply amazing if that is an '87 - have that puppy rebuilt. Top and bottom end - that should significantly raise compression as you must be running low after 14 years on same piston. You are on greatly borrowed time - freshener before she blows! Take it easy....

Guy400
09-19-2002, 08:27 AM
A top end rebuild is in the very near future but the last time I checked compression (when I bought the quad off my uncle in March) it was 152psi. And yes, that is the original piston/bore.

I know a pipe would work wonders for me but I really don't want to put anymore money into the quad as I'm looking to sell it. I need to go back to a 4-stroke with electric start:D

lil400exman
09-19-2002, 10:03 AM
wanna trade for a ex huh? i knew you could around but i will miss that mint quad guylt......:macho :(

WyoDuner
09-19-2002, 01:35 PM
152 PSI. I don't know what the spec is but that sounds pretty darn good to me.

airheadedduner
09-19-2002, 01:44 PM
152 psi is within the specs. Thats really damn good. I think my R is only reading 148psi now......it should be 180!!

lil400exman
09-22-2002, 09:21 AM
thats was when he fist bought though guy has put some miles on the lt!!!:macho :D i luv to have fun on quads prepped up for mich trip!!!! pm if anyone wants to know about it its this coming weekend!

beerock
09-22-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
152 psi is within the specs. Thats really damn good. I think my R is only reading 148psi now......it should be 180!! if you compression tested your bike at 180 and you tested it again and its at 148 psi you ar well below the 10% mark for a new top end....

Bean
09-22-2002, 01:16 PM
i havnt checked my comp latley, jus got it rebuild, 8hrs on it now, and mine runs about 195ish comp normally, on a good day

guy, thats pretty good, a 13 or so year old quad with 152comp on a stock piston, that rocks, i would start lookin into a rebuild though