PDA

View Full Version : play in the sprocket in the rear?

quader400
12-18-2006, 06:08 PM
on my 450 the thing that holds the sprocket on the axle has play in it. do i need to buy a new holder? is a little play ok? what do you think? thanks

JOEX
12-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Is this the Lonestar in your sig? I thought they fixed that problem:(

quader400
12-18-2006, 06:29 PM
yea its on the lonestar. is this just going to get worse and worse untill it just completley strips out?

JOEX
12-18-2006, 06:38 PM
I installed a LSR axle on my 400 about 3 years ago, it started having some rotational play not long after. It hasn't seemed to get worse but I only get to ride a few times a year:(

It's a known issue that I had thought was resolved a while back:ermm:

svahle
12-19-2006, 11:09 AM
This is my understanding of the issue. I believe the sprocket hub is aluminum and the axle will be steel. The hub will wear over time and have the play in it you are experiencing. I have the LSR axle and have the same issue. I just keep an eye on it. When it gets bad enough you can purchase a new sprocket hub and have it pressed onto the axle. In short, it probably will get worse over time but it is a slow process. I would just keep ridin' it until it gets bad enough you feel it is time for a new hub. Just my $.02.

John Pennella
12-19-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by svahle
This is my understanding of the issue. I believe the sprocket hub is aluminum and the axle will be steel. The hub will wear over time and have the play in it you are experiencing. I have the LSR axle and have the same issue. I just keep an eye on it. When it gets bad enough you can purchase a new sprocket hub and have it pressed onto the axle. In short, it probably will get worse over time but it is a slow process. I would just keep ridin' it until it gets bad enough you feel it is time for a new hub. Just my $.02.

Your exactly right. Mine was doing the same thing and I got a new stock sprocket flange and its nice and strong again. The metal is softer than the axle so the splines get loose and just wares out. Just replace the flange and you'll be good to go.