View Full Version : Typhoons at Pep Boys

bobk
12-18-2006, 03:15 PM
Check out this link:
http://www.pepboys.com/transportation/atv/9542255_str125-atv.html
Sure looks like a Typhoon to me.

grancuda
12-18-2006, 03:23 PM
It is almost just like one, only you won't get the expertise of the Xtreme dealership to repair/upgrade your quad.

Needmorehp
12-18-2006, 04:19 PM
? The key question is who wants something they know will need immediate repair/or fixes? And how long to get them?

bobk
12-18-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm not worried about fixes. The engine is the same as the pit bikes that everyone rides and races, so parts are plentiful. I plan on putting on a set of Elkas and gusseting the frame right away. I will also replace the tires. I would rather pump money into one of these than a Kasea. The Japanese Manufacturers dont have anything even close.

I think what is happening is that the factory that is making these for Xtreme didnt give them an exclusive deal. I bet we see these things pop up under a lot of different names. Currently we have Xtreme, BamX and now Baja Motorsports.

Spider 171
12-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Very sad to hear that anyone wants to buy something to work on immediately. I understand if you want a pure racer, or a mild one but what about the average kid that just wants to ride? Should you have to modify it, or tool on it all the time?

bobk
12-19-2006, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Spider 171
Very sad to hear that anyone wants to buy something to work on immediately. I understand if you want a pure racer, or a mild one but what about the average kid that just wants to ride? Should you have to modify it, or tool on it all the time?

I think you get a Suzuki or Honda for the average kid. The performance isnt great, but they will run forever. Also, dont be fooled by Grancuda. An extreme dealer is not going to give you the same service as one of the Japanese companies. The Xtreme dealer that I visited here in So. Cal. didnt even have a service center.

I think the Typhoon/Bamx/Baja can be made into a great quad if you are willing to do some work. I believe they make a better platform than the Kasea for the type of racing we do. If you know an engine builder and a fabricator, then it should be fine. We are going to buy one in the next few weeks to do desert racing. I'll post my findings and fixes.

grancuda
12-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by bobk
I think you get a Suzuki or Honda for the average kid. The performance isnt great, but they will run forever. Also, dont be fooled by Grancuda. An extreme dealer is not going to give you the same service as one of the Japanese companies. The Xtreme dealer that I visited here in So. Cal. didnt even have a service center.

I think the Typhoon/Bamx/Baja can be made into a great quad if you are willing to do some work. I believe they make a better platform than the Kasea for the type of racing we do. If you know an engine builder and a fabricator, then it should be fine. We are going to buy one in the next few weeks to do desert racing. I'll post my findings and fixes.

You are probably correct in saying that not all the dealers have a good service center. I live in Oklahoma and less than 40 miles from me is Stillwater Xtreme that Guy Cooper owns. I had him change our 70cc into a 4 speed and talking to him while he did this I learned alot about the motors, the differences between the 70/90 & 125. He has so much there in addons, he has more stuff in stock for these than the Honda, Suzuki & Yamha dealerships have. So based on your location, yes, you may not get that great of service.

awesome450
01-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Just visited pep boys. The storm 125 is 1699.00. It really looks good. I asked about the warranty and they said 90 days or you can get 18month xtra on the motor and tranny. I asked about replacement parts and he said theres a 800 number and a web sight you can order from. Only bad thing I seen on it is a big sticker on the rear grab bar "MADE IN CHINA"!