PDA

View Full Version : lt80 intake question

okieRrider
12-18-2006, 03:11 PM
Hey guys, I went to a flat track and tt race over the weekend and saw a few lt80's running a clamp on kn filter straight from the carb. 1 was a 20mm carb and was a dg setup so I know why they did it that way but the other was a stocker I believe. What would be the advantages or disadvantages of doing this. My son's 80 has weisco piston and stock cylinder with no porting or polishing, Jack Moore reeds, and ct pipe. I have taken the 2 rollers out of the front and lightened the rear shoes to 180 grams each. He races flat track mostly but we do ride trails and hit the dunes. I know the kn will produce more flow, but will it do enough to justify ditchin the whole stock airbox setup or will it just be a nuisance trying to maintain the filter being so low to the ground. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Chris

LT80
12-19-2006, 07:41 AM
I've had nothing but trouble with the DG carb set-up. Seems the JB stuff cracks and the carb falls off. Sure pisses ya off in a race!
I imagine while out in the middle of the dunes, it'd suck also. :D :D
The stock carb is fine. I can get a motor to rev to 12k w/stock carb.
I can see a direct K&N off a stock carb allowing a less restrictive flow,and that will change jetting, but I doubt there is much HP improvement.
A story~~I worked for hours setting a machine up for the Paducah TT race (20mm). When there it fell on it's face compared to the others.
They put the stock carb back on and it ran in 2nd place.
We hit 60 at paducah.:D
Porting/head/clutch work next my friend. :)

okieRrider
12-19-2006, 08:49 AM
hey lt80 thanks alot. if you get a chance will you either email me okieguy10@yahoo.com or pm me the price of your overhauls and nationals overhauls. Thanks, Chris

Bryar Riley
12-20-2006, 08:44 PM
call Chris Grissom at Suzuki of Paris... he has the best set up for the lt80's his intake's are awsome and as far as Paducah there is not a 90 mini out there that will out-run the one he has built for Dylan( on the 3/8 mile oval) will hit 70+ and as far as off the line Dylan won the hole-shot at ashtabula oh. this year from the back row at the Extreme nationals.....same gearing on all tracks....the # is (731)-642-0511 tell him Dylans Riley's dad sent you to him....

LT80
12-20-2006, 10:12 PM
I agree, call Chris. He's a great guy.:)

Bryar Riley
12-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Jack your an alright guy to....you helped us out in Ohio in 2005..thanks.

LT80
12-22-2006, 07:16 AM
I was wondering if that was you. :)
Happy Holidays. :)

Bryar Riley
12-22-2006, 08:53 AM
Merry Christmas to you and your to.....