PDA

View Full Version : Deal on 05?

ugottabayou
12-18-2006, 12:46 PM
I know where I can get a brand new never-ridden 05 450r for $4,999. Would you guys jump at this deal, and what advantages does an 06 have over an 05?

CHEVYZ
12-18-2006, 01:24 PM
I don't know much about pricing over there, but it does not sound like much of a deal to me. I can get an 06 for only slightly more. The 05s handles nicely stock, but I find that the 06 has better overall geometry as far as putting the power to the ground. It also has quite a bit more power mod for mod. Both cammed and with the similar exhaust work, my 06 would just run away from my 05. Personally, as much as I like the older 450s, I much prefer the newer models. I would try to find a deal on an 06 if possible.

TWILES
12-18-2006, 04:57 PM
We paid $5300 for ours new in 2004. I'm hearing you can get leftover 06's for that now around here which are exactly the same os the 07's.

To break down the main differences in the old style and new style: The 04/05 motors are supposed to make more power in the end. End being $3500 + in motor work alone and the bottom-end is able to hold the power.
The 06/07's top-ends are making as much power in the end($3500+) and the bottom-ends won't hold up once the motor is built ($3500+)....

This is JUST from that perspective. I have an 04 and just for riding it couldn't suck more. Upgrades are a must just to have fun. I out rode it the first hour I had it home. I've ridden an 06 with the electric start and FCR and they are nice. They handle better stock, unbelievably more comfortable and have a better stock motor, and the longer swingarm and different front-end are VERY noticeable. Sitting on them with the seat a little worn they feel like a 250R to me which was undoubtedly the best sitting atv ever made and easiest to move around on.

Unless you are planning on building a pro-am or pro level motor ( so I've heard ) or you miss gears constantly you'd be happier with a newer model. I'd hunt a leftover 06 for a deal.

INFAMOUSRACER7
12-19-2006, 12:23 PM
actually the 05 transmissions hold up better then the 06 trannies do. and you can unplug almost everything from the 05 harness and it will still run. also i have herd from a few people that the 06 pushes coming out of turns. i would say go with an 05 if you can get it cheaper then 4999