PDA

View Full Version : No air box??? Open filter.... bad idea?

stuntman_12
12-18-2006, 12:15 PM
I have the 450R carb... i wound up cuting the tube that runs from the carb to the filter... now the airbox doesn't really fit. What filter set up should i use to best prtect my motor?

Or is this just bad all together? Would a K&N w/ an outerwear work?

12-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Yes it ill work as long as you oil it right. If you dont oil it right it lets dirt in.

Kaleigh
12-18-2006, 04:36 PM
personally i would not go with K&N.. i love them and all.. but for riding.. i would go with UNI and outerwear.. if you ever oiled a K&N filter it is a pain in the but.. and the filter does let some dust in.. outerwear only keep debris out of the filter.. you can also rub some oil on the inside of the airbox so the dust sticks to that too instead of the filter..

honda300EXtreme
12-18-2006, 05:11 PM
well my 2 cents is i think running just a filter is unpractical unless its always dry, you know unless your conditions are perfect i think you'll regret it

bah1491
12-18-2006, 06:17 PM
wednesday i will get some pictures of my air box...i made it out of our race call aluminum...its open in the front, and the top, but the bottom and sides are covered....no mud, or water will touch my filter! ( i dont ride in the mud or water though) haha

jokester
12-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Kaleigh
personally i would not go with K&N.. i love them and all.. but for riding.. i would go with UNI and outerwear.. if you ever oiled a K&N filter it is a pain in the but.. and the filter does let some dust in.. outerwear only keep debris out of the filter.. you can also rub some oil on the inside of the airbox so the dust sticks to that too instead of the filter..

dude it takes like a whole 1min and a half to oil up the filter if you use the K&N filter oil in the spray bottle and it works awsome!!

northwest Texas
12-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Ease of use is easier with the foam vs the K&N. My experience has been it takes much longer to get the K&N to dry and it's not as easy to be sure you've completely oiled it without overoiling it.

I'm more likely to do proper maintenance with the foam over the chore of cleaning and preparing the K&N.

jokester
12-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by northwest Texas
Ease of use is easier with the foam vs the K&N. My experience has been it takes much longer to get the K&N to dry and it's not as easy to be sure you've completely oiled it without overoiling it.

I'm more likely to do proper maintenance with the foam over the chore of cleaning and preparing the K&N.

how does it take longer to dry a K&N filter considering the fact that it is way more vented and allows more airflow, whereas a foam filter is denser and not quite as vented??

I use to run a foam filter, and now I run a K&N. granted the foam filter does keep out a very tiny bit more, over all the K&N is easier to take care of and preform proper maintenance.

"THE ShoP"
12-19-2006, 12:18 AM
imo the k&n is a better filter if you run an air box wit lid maybe a little hole or 2,but if your lid is off or you have no airbox foam wit an outerwear is the way to go

TWEP
12-19-2006, 01:04 AM
You ride in dusty wet conditions ........sure go K&N and you will suck dirt and warter through your motor . you can go with a 2 stage uni/foam filter, wont be no diff. spray it down with WD-40 before you ride you will have no probs..:)

MikeMan
12-19-2006, 01:17 AM
I own a 2001 400ex with no airbox and K&N filter with outerwear and have had no problems with the filter at all letting dirt into my engine.
I also work for a Sheriffs office that uses ATV's for Search and rescue and all of them are equipped with K&N filters with outerwear with no airbox.
My point is if you take care of your filter -- clean it and oil it correctly, you should have no problems.

Ride em hard and put em away wet.
:devil:

12-19-2006, 06:43 AM
I have had no troubles with my k&n and if they were bad i sure would know it cause i run the most un safe set up. I have no air box and that filter and k&n filters worst thing is clay dust and my whole track is made of clay and it gets really dusty and every 5 rides i clean it and oil it good and no dirt ever in the 3 years got sucked in. My intake tube is white so dirt would show right away if i did suck any in. K&n also makes a sealing grease stuff for the filter.

stuntman_12
12-19-2006, 07:19 AM
Thanks guys.... well do yall have a spare K&N w/ outerwear? I messed mine up... it got crushed:ermm:

jokester
12-19-2006, 10:44 AM
thank you people for sticking up for the K&N filters!! they work awsome and they don't let that much dust/debri in as long as you take proper care of them. besides its way easier to do proper maintenance on the K&N...

krt400ex
12-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by jokester
thank you people for sticking up for the K&N filters!! they work awsome and they don't let that much dust/debri in as long as you take proper care of them. besides its way easier to do proper maintenance on the K&N...

they suck...my motor is about ready to take a chit because of them. i clean and oil it all the time, and it lets dirt into my intake. valve seals r bad, top end is bad, and it is making noises. the motor is only 6 months old too. never again will i buy a k&n. uni or twin air r the best. if u run the outerwears then u won't need to worry about wet conditions that much, unless u r doing some serious mudding, or riding in a friggin downpoor.

krt400ex
12-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by stuntman_12
Thanks guys.... well do yall have a spare K&N w/ outerwear? I messed mine up... it got crushed:ermm:

i don't have an outerwear, but i will sell u my filter for $25 shipped. it was $60 new, and it is only a couple of months old. i will get some recent pics of it for u sometime soon....it is not damaged either

12-19-2006, 12:51 PM
I always ran my 250R with a Outerwears & K&N. But with an airbox with vented lid.

Oiled it and cleaned it regularly.

No problems.

jokester
12-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
they suck...my motor is about ready to take a chit because of them. i clean and oil it all the time, and it lets dirt into my intake. valve seals r bad, top end is bad, and it is making noises. the motor is only 6 months old too. never again will i buy a k&n. uni or twin air r the best. if u run the outerwears then u won't need to worry about wet conditions that much, unless u r doing some serious mudding, or riding in a friggin downpoor.

obviously you got a bad one, or you didn't oil and take care of it properly!! I've been running mine for over a year now, and I ride in real dusty conditions over the summer, and I never once had a problem with letting in enough dust into my intake to damage anything on my motor. Its still running just as strong as it ever has!

blown331
12-20-2006, 08:48 AM
guys ive been seeing the K&N "lid" that replaces your factory airbox lid with a flat K&N filter, then you can either run a UNI or another K&N as your main filter. These also come with an "outerwear" type of piece too.

Anyone have experience with this particular setup?

exrider49
12-20-2006, 01:47 PM
im gonna try the new velocity pro flow intake soon...i hear it is better than the k&n becuz in the front of the filter it cones in....looks good so ill give it a try

AZ_TRX400EX
12-20-2006, 07:42 PM
I run K&N with no airbox lid and a outerwears precharger. Works great and I live in Arizona which is the biggest dust bowl of them all.:eek2: Also I replaced the lid with the outerwears prefilter but the velcro that you put on the airbox SUCKS! :mad: