PDA

View Full Version : first ride on my yfz, lots of questions

bradley300
12-18-2006, 09:08 AM
first of all, its an 06. HMF carbon slip on, GThunder linkage and stock revalved shocks, ATV fourplay +1 a-arms, scotts dampner, flexbars, hipers, tireballs. i love it!

1. on the blaster, i could go full speed ahead and come to a sharp turn. pull in the clutch, hit all the brakes and downshift. during this the motor would stall, but as soon as i let the clutch back out, it would come back to life and i could take off. the yfz will also stall, but letting the clutch back out wont bring it back to life. why is this and can i fix it?

2. how many tireballs should i run in the front, and back at what pressure?

3. this thing feels like its going to rattle my teeth out, and it doesnt get much better at any rpm range. is that normal?

4. i have already had a battery die. died 15 mintues after i started riding. maybe from stalling and re-starting so much.
part A- even starting and stopping so much, wouldnt the quad re-charge the battery while it was running? or could the battery just be that far gone? i got pull started for the next few hours, but the quad would never do anything with the button again. not even a click, which makes me think maybe its not charging.
part B- which wire do i need to check to see if the charging system is working? and how many ohms should that wire be?

what else could be the problem? BTW, it does not have headlights, but i did notice the headlight switch had been on, probably all night sitting in the garage.

5. whatever the answer to problem #4 is, i need a new battery. is there a battery from a different model machine that people are using, or does the yfz battery do alright? any brands to stay away from or look for?

6. how much sag are you guys running in the rear? (mine has the GTT suspension conversion) and how much ride height in the front?

7. it stutters when you stab the throttle. can it be fixed with the proper leak jet, or is the boysen quick shot needed? i have fixxed it temporarily with raising th idle, but i kow there is a way to fix it right

i think thats all my questions for now. thanks in advance for all your guy's help

Fred55
12-18-2006, 10:55 AM
For it killing, you really have to raise the idle pretty high, just like the mx bikes, i have mine pretty high but it doesnt stall. also the off idle stumble, a leak jet will fix this just fine.

bradley300
12-18-2006, 07:44 PM
thaks for the reply, bigger or smaller leak jet?

Les Davis
12-18-2006, 08:37 PM
I agree with Fred55 on the stalling issue. Mine had a real low idle and would stall allot coming out of a dead to rolling stop. After adjusting the idle, this went away.

Issue #4: I would start out checking to make sure you have not blown a fuse. Check the fuse located under the seat above the battery. Next check the charge that the battery is putting out not running and running. I believe the charge should be 12.87V while idle and should increase to 14-15V while the engine is running. Not sure if that is volts or ohms???? Having a senior moment on that right now. Also check your nuetral wire that connects to the left side case at the shifter. I had a problem with the conncetor and it was causing my bike to short out and the bike would only start in nuetral at times. I killed 3 batteries in 9 months until I figured this out. I have an '04 model and there were problems with eliminating the headlights. There was a patch cable you could buy to complete the electrical circuit but I think it was fixed on the newer bikes although I could be wrong. I'm sure someone will either correct me or be able to help out on this issue. Seems to be a common problem with the YFZ's.

Issue #5: Search the YFZ sub folder for batteries. There is a link for an upgraded battery for the YFZ. I think it is for a CBR600 street bike. You will have to modify the plastic where the plastic is located in under to accomodate the bigger battery. You could also pm "Pappy", I believe he has a background with batteries and has helped me out in the past.

bradley300
12-19-2006, 07:10 AM
thanks for your reply. i had thought yamaha had fixed the electrical problem, but then i thought i heard someone say that although the 06 is different, it still wasnt fixed. i had not thought to check the fuse, or the switch, thanks!

MXridin842
12-20-2006, 08:27 AM
Issue #3: From what my friends tell me who have the same quad you must run dual stablizers for the YFZ to not have amazing head shake. Ive also seen it on alot of the YFZ's on here too.