PDA

View Full Version : Shift lever spring breaking - anyone?

TMilbocker
12-17-2006, 10:31 PM
Has anyone ever had shift lever spring break? If so did you have to split the case to repair.

Mine is only 9 months old, normal wear and the spring broke failing to return to Neutral position.

I have found nothing in terms of a "recall" from Suzuki. Anyone else? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

CdaleXtreme
12-18-2006, 08:32 AM
This is not a spring failure. It is actually a piece of the case that breaks.

This isnt as catastrophic as it sounds. Walsh makes a Guaranteed fix for this problem and it is only $100.00.

You DO NOT have to split the cases, just remove the clutch basket and you are right there.

LTR450_#67
12-18-2006, 08:44 AM
Technically speaking, your spring is probably fine, BUT the case that holds the shift pin stop has a good possibility of being broke.
This was do to having too weak of a casting around the shift pin on the early 06 models. I heard that the later 06s and now 07s have the case beefed up in that area. You can spend big some major buck$ and take it to the dealer have them replace the old case half with a new one. OR you could spend 100 bucks or so on either one of these----> BCS Performance (http://bcsperformance.com/ltr.html) or Walsh Race Craft (http://www.wrcracing.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=50&products_id=520) . You can you use either one even if the case is broken. If you have any questions about these let me know cause I already have the BCS Perf. piece installed. I also did a write-up on the install on another website.

hope this helps

later
Aaron

CdaleXtreme
12-19-2006, 01:08 PM
They did not update the case, and this is a problem with the 2007s as well.

LTR450_#67
12-20-2006, 09:42 AM
My bad.......

TMilbocker
12-25-2006, 05:41 PM
thanks for the info. the local dealer wanted 80 dollars an hour and min of 8 hours labor to split the case and i had no clue what the problem was untill cdalextreme and ltr450_#67 filled me in. the walsh part should be here tomorrow

REITER
12-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Hey Tim, I hope you get it tomorrow, I got my GPR back and i am going to put it on tomorrow along with my other things. We are talking about maybe going riding Wed. because it is suppossed to be 65. Just thought i would tell you that so you did not make a trip to the shop for nothing. I think we only have 5 bikes left to finish so we are going to work on them Thur. and Fri when it is raining and go riding over the weekend