PDA

View Full Version : sprocket

bigdaddy300ex
12-17-2006, 08:58 PM
if you have a 13 tooth on front and went to a 12,what kind of difference would i see?do i need to change back too?how do i change front sprocket?thanks

byrdman37876
01-08-2007, 07:55 PM
if u go down a tooth on the front u will have more bottom end power but u will lose top end speed. what kind of bike is it? taking the sprocket off of the front has one bolt ( hondas anyway ).

northwest Texas
01-08-2007, 08:40 PM
To drop from a 13 tooth to a 12 tooth you would see a drop off 7.7% theoretically which means you would lose 4mph if your top speed is 50mph, again theoretically.

You will gain what feels like more "oomph" in the lower gears and it will rev out faster but unless it feels like a dog, that may be bit of a trade off.

It's more economical to go a tooth smaller on the fronts as they're much cheaper than the rears. If you have a 13/39 going down one tooth in the front to a 12/39 would be almost identical to a 13/42.

A smaller driver sprocket (on engine) and a larger driven sprocket (axle) will produce more "oomph" down low but sacrifice top speed. The opposite holds true for more top speed but sacrifice some low end "oomph"

As for your other questions, the make and model of what you're talking about would be helpful.