PDA

View Full Version : which airfilter????

Pur Pony
09-18-2002, 07:54 AM
I own a 01 400ex with a yoshi header and pipe. I plan on getting an aluminum airbox with no lid and jetting it.

I have been planning on getting a K&N filter before/when i jet it.

I talked to the dealer yesterday and he does not recommend a K&n.... at least not without the outer wear cover.... he said that K&Ns let to much dust and dirt into the engine.

I live in CT and ride mostly trails... but the summers have been so dry here that there has been alot of dust.....

Should I stay away from K&N and get either a twin air or uni filter???? are those better then K&N at keeping dust/dirt out?? I am just looking for a better flowing airfilt to combine with my pipe so I can jet it.

or should I just stay with a stock filter?

crowdedhead
09-18-2002, 08:02 AM
go with the k&n

i run the k&n without the outer filter. i've been using k&n filters on my bikes for the past four years and have never had a problem.

but if you are worried about riding through very dusty conditions put the outer filter on and go.

300EX KING
09-18-2002, 10:03 AM
I live in connecticut too, and the trails are real dusty, i have a k&n on my quad and i have my air box lid off. i bought the outerwears filter cover and it seems to work alright. i think you should set up yor 400 the same.

Pur Pony
09-18-2002, 11:07 AM
300EX KING - where in CT are you from? you ride a 300ex?

Ensign
09-18-2002, 11:24 AM
Might want to check out No Toil (http://www.notoil.com/) filters and oil. I had tried these on dirt bikes and liked them, so I just bought two for my 400ex. All their stuff (filter oil and cleaner) is biodegradable, so you can wash your filters right in the sink. They say you can use a laundry washer, but I know my wife would kill me if I tried that. I'll stick with the laundry tub though. It's nice to not have to worry about dumping the old oil and dirt.
---
Brandon

z400ex
09-18-2002, 12:08 PM
KandN filters are very good, but they should be used for sand dunes , moto cross tracks and such that doesnt have much dust. K&n filters do work in dusty conditions but i have noticed if you take them off and look in the tube that connects to the carb, you will see fine dust and that is not good because that only means that dirt is gettin to the engine. Basically i use my K&N for the dunes. I use a UNI for desert and dusty conditions because they do filter better then K&N, as they do not perform as well but UNI performs better then the stock filter. Besides foam filters are easier to clean. Read the details on the K&N and the own company says the filter is not for dusty conditions.

REC
09-18-2002, 12:08 PM
No-toil is the way to go
I have two also, that way I always have a clean filter ready.
They are supposed to flow better also.
Their product is great!
No smell and you can wash them anywhere.
Ride on