PDA

View Full Version : the broken-down dodge story continues

Stevie-D
12-17-2006, 06:43 AM
well as some of you know, my damned truck has given me nothing but trouble since ive bought it. motor, tranny within the first month. now, i can't keep u-joints in the rear of it. replaced all the brakes/ lines. new sending unit. etc etc etc...

coming home from work yesterday i notice a very quiet whistling sound coming from under the cab. got home checked fluid etc, everything looked good. took it out last night, and i'm getting a loud whistling noise coming from underneath it. now im thinking transfer case. :mad: which if that is the case, i can get a used one for under $100, so no big deal.

i'm heading out to the shop now to try to figure it out. if it turns out to be the tranny i'm going to burn the whole damned garage and truck and freaking walk to work.

seems like i work on the damned thing more than i drive it. that being said: it's going for sale as soon as i figure out the latest gremlin. and aside from a cummins six speed i will never own another dodge truck:grr:

won't work on a ford either, so looks like i'm goin GM:devil:

ECATV Raptor
12-17-2006, 06:58 AM
Thats a dodge for ya.

balls2da-wall
12-17-2006, 07:14 AM
true dat! Toyota if your wanting something reliable...GMC if your looking for something that "HAS TO BE AMERICAN"...even Titans are better than dodges!

Stevie-D
12-17-2006, 08:33 AM
well the noise i was hearing is definately coming from the transfer case. just drained the fluid and waiting for the old lady to come home so i can use her car to go get some more. thinking that it's shot.

get's better. i had to take a break from the dodge to put a water pump in my moms chevy van. i'd like to torture the man who invented vans. :devil: such a pain in the *** to work on.

after this, im actually looking forward to working on the truck again:huh

balls2da-wall
12-17-2006, 08:51 AM
if only honda made a truck....oh wait!:p

Stevie-D
12-17-2006, 08:57 AM
ya but on honda's truck i can't pull the bed off to replace the sending unit:devil:

haha did it on my dakota a few years back

MX300ex
12-17-2006, 09:10 AM
wait for the new tundra...

Stevie-D
12-17-2006, 09:12 AM
ain't looking to buy new. most likely going to be looking at early 2000's chevy 2500's

NorCalRacer
12-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by balls2da-wall
if only honda made a truck....oh wait!:p

They don't, trucks have frames:blah: Honda makes passenger vehicles that look like trucks:rolleyes:

Which 450?
12-17-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by NorCalRacer
They don't, trucks have frames:blah: Honda makes passenger vehicles that look like trucks:rolleyes:

yea you aint kiddin....

Blue250X
12-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by balls2da-wall
This is coming from someone who owns an ATK:rolleyes:
Whats that have to do with anything? ATk's have frames?

Stevie-D
12-17-2006, 05:48 PM
damnnnnnnnnnnnnn.... found a transfer case identical to mine. just pulled out of a truck and currently sitting in a friends garage. $50. kick arse:blah:

trucks still getting sold. it's kind of a hard decision. i've put a lot of money into it in a short period of time and i know i'll never get what i put into it. my friends always tell me that by the time i'm done with it, im going to have a brand new truck again:D

y3llow400ex
12-17-2006, 08:34 PM
buying my dodge was the biggest mistake i have made. they look awsome but they suck balls

Family Guy
12-18-2006, 06:00 AM
I have owned a 1977 ram, 1981 ram, 1986 ram, 2001 ram,2004 ram and now my daily driver is an 2006 ram. Have never had any problems accept finding parts for the 77 was tough. No tranny or drivetrain problems like everyone claims. I take care of my trucks and dont buy other peoples junk. No problems.

Flynbryan19
12-18-2006, 07:05 AM
Then congrats. Your one of the FEW. Dodge CAN make a good truck, but there are certainly many more lemon Dodges out there than any other make/model. The 02' and up models seem to FINALLY be decent trucks, but with the exception of a few 94-01 models I think they're junk.

flht_db
12-18-2006, 07:48 AM
I had a 94 Dodge Ram 1500 for 9 years, no problems. Even got the extended because it was the first year of the new style. Bought the ford because it was the only one with a crew cab (not extended) and a solid front axle. Ford had more warranty work in 3 years then the Dodge (none) did in 9, almost 10 years.

Now the Ford is good and I'll probably have it another 10+ or longer.

Villageidiott23
12-18-2006, 08:38 AM
not to long ago i heard of a guy in a similar situation as you. but with a car. so one day while driving the car it broke down for the millionth time and the man got out and emptied a mag from is 1911 45 into the hood. when the police arrived he said he was putting it out of misery and had enough of its ****. they locked him up for illegal use of a firearm and what not. during a news conference with the man he said it was all worth it..... wouldnt recommend this technique but still kinda funny.

300ex_#387
12-18-2006, 08:44 AM
Well....

PeeWee21
12-18-2006, 09:05 AM
You have issues with all vehicles....i work for Toyota so don't think that Toyota does not have problems...i don't work for a dealership either..i actually work for Toyota Motor Manufactering of WV!!!! I sold my Toyota to buy my Dodge and i will never own another Toyota....period!!! My dad's Dakota has been outstanding and so far my Dakota has been great as well. It's all in how you take care of them....some take more abuse than others....but if you abuse them and then get mad when they break down....it's like having a shoe with no foot!!!!!

underpowered
12-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
........ and aside from a cummins six speed i will never own another dodge truck:grr:

won't work on a ford either, so looks like i'm goin GM:devil:

smart move, very smart. dodge's have horrible drivetrain issues, the cummins is a helluva motor though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/redneck409/boti.gif

Ghost-Rider
12-18-2006, 02:45 PM
My mom had a ram once apon a time... engine blew after a year or so and its weird cause my mom drives like a lil girl and such...and dont get me started on them POS toyotas and other jap crap wannab trucks....i like fords new commerical about how its got the most trucks on the road with 250K + miles...mines got 225 and runs strong still.:)

Stevie-D
12-18-2006, 03:26 PM
i beat the balls out of everything i drive ( that is mine)

that being said... my brother has a 93 chevy beretta gtz with 150 something thousand miles on it. me and him beat the balls off of that car, and the only problem we ever had was a radiator and brake lines.

same goes for friends of mine who have heavy feet like me. the dodges are the ones sitting in our garages while the chevy's are out playing. few fords around, but who cares about them:devil:

the dodges just dont seem to be able to take a beating. i run demo derbys, and nobody, including myself, runs a chrysler ( 727, 904) tranny. we will run a 318, (handle the heat well) mated through an adapter plate to a GM tranny and usually a ford 9" rear.

still want to sell it but don't at the same time. kinda up in the air about it for now.

got a transfer case for it...paid $50 for it:devil: i have a friend that was going to buy the one i just bought to use the case in his pulling truck. i am now going to sell mine to him for $50. he's happy, im happy:D

DieselBoy
12-18-2006, 09:52 PM
did you sort out the drivetrain noise? describe it more in detail. was in like a whining when you got to a certain speed? my brothers having a "whine" when he gets to certain speeds in his F-150...we thought it was the diff...so we overhauled it but nope its stillllllllll there. it occurs at certain speeds, and the fluids turning black....

we never thought a disengaged transfer case would make a whine noise but mr transmissions saying its the cause. i dont know what to believe.

12-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
Well....

coughRYANcough :cool:

milburn
12-19-2006, 01:53 AM
How much you want for the dodge?

Stevie-D
12-19-2006, 03:52 AM
asking 5k for it. haven't got the transfer case in it yet.

it's a 93 power ram 150 with a 318 & a 727 (newly rebuilt).
4" superlift on 3/4 ton suspension
33x12.50's on american racing mags. comes with spare set of american racing chrome mags with 31x10.50's.
Lund moonvisor & fiberglass steps
A.R.E fiberglass tonneau cover
Pioneer & kicker stereo
dynomax dual exhaust

i'll try to find some pictures of it with the lift and tires on it. it's a really sharp looking truck