PDA

View Full Version : Hill Climbing

TWEP
12-16-2006, 11:03 PM
How does 1 climb a steep hill with no run at it? On a 400ex of course ?

TWEP
12-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Hill climbing 101....post your skill here :D

TWEP
12-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Oh come on now ............you can post on rejets, shocks,big bore kits. and oil ,but you cant post on HillClimbing ??? come on guys/girls you can do better than that . Heres a chance to tell noobs/experts alike how to hill climb......so post post post cant do nothing but help the new joiners :)

hornetgod13
12-16-2006, 11:38 PM
I just rode today and did conquer quit a few steep hills. I might be able to lend you a bit of advice.
First off, know your limit. Don't go out and try to fly up the steepest "cliff" you can find.
Your approach speed can be critical. Keep your speed up. If you are in 1st gear the nose is going to want to flip if you give it too must throttle. Be extremely smooth with the throttle.
Leaning forword on the seat works too. I keep your @$$ planted on the seat.
Most of all keep in the throttle. Don't let up until you make the creast of the steep hill. If you back out of the throttle and loose your momentum you're screwed. Prior to going for it ensure that you know what's on the other side and that there is no one coming the other way.
Good luck and try at your own risk :)

TWEP
12-16-2006, 11:50 PM
Well at least someone shared there skills, and thx man .the more we share the better riders we make :)

†2005 400ex†
12-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Basically nailed it, riding technique is harder to explain because its not as concrete as actual specs, the biggest advice i can give someone is to start out small and go up gradually, improving your technique along the way.............the thing about hillclimbing though is if you decide to go for a hill and start the run, you have to go for it alll the way because if you dont your not going to make it, there is no room for hesitation

TWEP
12-17-2006, 12:12 AM
Yes !! so another comws in with his skill of HillClimbing im new to the site but not a noob. So all the info we can give, makes us all better riders,Plz keep posting so we can help others...................seat time is a must:)

MO-EX-RIDER
12-17-2006, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
I just rode today and did conquer quit a few steep hills. I might be able to lend you a bit of advice.
First off, know your limit. Don't go out and try to fly up the steepest "cliff" you can find.
Your approach speed can be critical. Keep your speed up. If you are in 1st gear the nose is going to want to flip if you give it too must throttle. Be extremely smooth with the throttle.
Leaning forword on the seat works too. I keep your @$$ planted on the seat.
Most of all keep in the throttle. Don't let up until you make the creast of the steep hill. If you back out of the throttle and loose your momentum you're screwed. Prior to going for it ensure that you know what's on the other side and that there is no one coming the other way.
Good luck and try at your own risk :)

agreed...except on a really steep hill i like to stand up and lean foward over the bars instead of sitting.....o yeah a 14t sprocket will do wonders climbing hills!

94F450SD
12-17-2006, 06:34 AM
one thing i love to do on my quad is climb hills.the steeper the better.

depending on how tall and steep the hill is will decide how you try to go up it.on real tall steep hills i will sit on my gas tank and climb it in first gear.on short steep hills ill lean forward and go up in 1st.just make sure you are ready to bail if the crap hits the fan!there have been many time where i got halfway up and had to jump off the quad cuz it was going over backwards.i figure my body and bones are worth more than the machine.

81 clark racing
12-17-2006, 07:19 AM
14t sprocket will do you wonders also a good set of rear tires ( holeshots razrs etc) and when you come 2 the hill have no doubts and pin the throttle. also all the other info they posted is crirical to.

blasterandy
12-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Dood hill climb crashes are some of the most spectacular crashes. You should be happy that you introduced some small kid to Carnage :D . But seriously there is nothing worse than seeing your beloved quad go end over end down a hill. "Make sure you go headlong into'em and don't let off." (N E one see the crashes on huevos 3 from the hill climbs.)Felt this first hand with my blaster. Two tie rods, steering stem, knocked both rear tires off the rims, and handle bars looked like they were trying to keep the gas tank from comming off. But i was pretty lucky considering that you can fix all that with a 2X4 and wedge or on the side of a trailor. :D

j450rking
12-17-2006, 02:14 PM
also a dune flag can help keep other riders from hiting you as you come to the top of the hill

kurtdsmith13
12-17-2006, 06:38 PM
JUst give her hell and dont let up. Watch for ruts also. Try not to get hung up on one right at the top or youll be sitting there getting heavy in the shorts wondering what to do.

QuadJunkies
12-17-2006, 08:17 PM
punch throddle,pucker up and HOLD ON!! :blah: :macho
my bad ...sorry, this wasnt hte pic I wanted to post ,but it was a very cool hill at out MX track

QuadJunkies
12-17-2006, 08:20 PM
This on the other hand had no running start to it ... :D

blasterandy
12-17-2006, 08:54 PM
Aye guess what thats a big a$s hill

foxrider1
12-20-2006, 06:25 PM
thats a hill climb i tryed and just did a turn around 3/4 the way up

foxrider1
12-20-2006, 06:28 PM

foxrider1
12-20-2006, 06:30 PM

2muchquad
12-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Whatever hill you attempt,just make sure that if you decide to gofor it,you must commit %100.You cant get tenative with the throttle half way up because you'll lose your momentum,this applies wether your on a 250ex or a 650ex!I usually almost always climb in 2nd or 3rd if i can get a run,1st gear is just for taking off imo.

rodeo#11
12-20-2006, 11:14 PM
i usally try to walk the hill before i hit it just to check and make sure there are no real bad ruts or roots thats gonna cause u to shoot of to the side or flip backwards..heres a few of our hills

interceptorz28
12-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Conquering hill climbs are so much fun!

2nd or 3rd gear yes for tackling them.

TWEP, you asked about how to hit 'em with "no run". Do you mean dead stop and start going up hill? Cause if its big, I would say be very careful. It can be done but with more wheel spin and more effort to make it.

I hit a big monster hill a couple weeks ago and hadn't in a while. Its awesome. Big and fast hill climbs are exhilerating (sp?). You get to the top and let out a "RAAAHHH!, I am MAN and no hill can stop me!!":devil:

zdowell
12-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Im no pro and just starting out, but I like to get a running start at the hill, lean over the handle bars and stay on the throttle. Fun as ****, my buddies and I spend most our day at hill climbs. We find one and stay there for a good hour or more

brokenmike
12-21-2006, 05:37 PM
foxrider1 those hills are in trevorton PA,next to shamokin arent they? I climbed them with my 400ex. I run 20in tires with 15/36 sprockets and I have it in 2nd gear pin the throttle and dump the clutch,the rest is feathering the throttle and leaning forwards and keeping a low center of gravity.BE CAREFUL

jokester
12-22-2006, 01:11 AM
When in doubt! gas it out!

krt400ex
12-22-2006, 07:49 AM
if i am going to climb a hill at a dead stop, and can't get a run to carry some momentum up the hill....

i will basically sit on the gas tank
i always start in 2nd gear
rev the engine all the way out and dump the clutch...i kno it sounds crazy, but u want a fast start to get ur momentum up, and u want the tires to spin a bit.
then u just stay steady on the throttle...nice a smooth, and u should be fine going to the top of the hill...

hondaracer57
12-22-2006, 08:51 PM
ight i live in pa most hill climbs have no run plus they are steep and usually have roots and rocks all over them..so heres what i do...first u might wanna gear it for some torque if u aint got many mods done too it...i usally start in second just sit ur *** forward rev the hell outis and dump the clutch....if u get too the top and start lossin alittle power its ight cause 400 can usally bog there way up but if not easyly down shift to 1st try to ride the clutch a little at fisrt dont just slam it down...if ur hill got a run too it i usally use 3rd and just use momentome at the top...

anderson3064
12-22-2006, 09:59 PM
speaking from experience. always have a gear to go to at the top. I hit in 3rd then drop to second when i have to then hopefully i never have to drop to first but if i do its there. if your halfway up a biggin and your already in first start thinking of a good bailing spot cause its going to happen hahah

anderson3064
12-22-2006, 10:03 PM
foxrider, those hills look awesome. im offically jealous

brokenmike
12-23-2006, 10:35 AM
anderson3064.those hills ARE AWESOME,I was there about 2 weeks ago there are alot more hills that are just as steep and tall there.

"THE ShoP"
12-23-2006, 01:11 PM
when i climb i use lower air preasure, i run about 2 1/2 lbs in the rear helps to get better tracktion,an be careful down shiftin on a realy step hill if you don't shift rite you'll get it stuck inbetween gears an lose all your momentum an that realy sux

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m271/JoeSaitta/Almost-1.jpg

Honda4lyphe
12-27-2006, 09:41 PM
over here we have some big creek beds that we ride in and have some pretty sick hills. For me i start in 3rd and get my speed then if im nearing at the top and im starting to lose speed i slam my foot down and get to second without haveing to clutch it, makeing me not have that risk of loseing speed..cos man on these hills if your going backwards your basically dead, even if you bail at near top atleast your screwd. This year 6 people lost their lives on the hills being stupid/drunk/inexpirenced. Always know what your limits are you dont have to do what everyone else does if your new, if your very expirenced but havnt done big hills.. lean foward and nail the throttle!

jason43050
12-28-2006, 11:54 AM
i have a 13 tooth sprocket on my 2005 400 ex. hit those hills amazingly! an 05 comes stack with a 14 tooth :)

davester
12-29-2006, 10:42 PM
i havent seen a post on here about clutching on hills...i am from around wellsville ohio which is some good riding with a lot of hill climbs with no run. the key is to use your clutch when going up hills. just slip it when going up them....start practicing on small hills like in 2nd and when u start to lose power keep on the throttle and start tapping the clutch. then move up to bigger hills and try it. you will be able to conquer any hill around. i have a stock motor 400ex with an hmf pipe on it and i can outclimb guys on 450's because i use the clutch on hills. i know it is hard on the clutches but it works......give that a try

davester
12-29-2006, 10:46 PM
i havent seen a post on here about clutching on hills...i am from around wellsville ohio which is some good riding with a lot of hill climbs with no run. the key is to use your clutch when going up hills. just slip it when going up them....start practicing on small hills like in 2nd and when u start to lose power start keep on the throttle and start tapping the clutch. then move up to bigger hills and try it. you will be able to conquer any hill around. i have a stock motor 400ex with an hmf pipe on it and i can outclimb guys on 450's because i use the clutch on hills. i know it is hard on the clutches but it works......give that a try

krt400ex
12-30-2006, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by davester
i havent seen a post on here about clutching on hills...i am from around wellsville ohio which is some good riding with a lot of hill climbs with no run. the key is to use your clutch when going up hills. just slip it when going up them....start practicing on small hills like in 2nd and when u start to lose power start keep on the throttle and start tapping the clutch. then move up to bigger hills and try it. you will be able to conquer any hill around. i have a stock motor 400ex with an hmf pipe on it and i can outclimb guys on 450's because i use the clutch on hills. i know it is hard on the clutches but it works......give that a try

it only works if u can keep the tires spinning though, cuz if ur clutching it and the tires grab...it will throw u right over.

anderson3064
12-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by davester
dude i wouldnt think of touching my clutch on a hill climb, when my rpms get low i just grab the next lowest gear.

hornetgod13
12-30-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm not going to "clutch" my quad on a steep hill climb either. I go at it in 2nd or 3rd and keep the revs high. I can down shift if needed but I do it quickly.

foxrider1
12-31-2006, 09:07 PM
here is anthor picture of treverton this place is amazing i usally hit 3rd gear on my 400ex and make it all the way but there are some 450r that do all the hills no problem

davester
01-01-2007, 07:10 PM
clutching on a hill isnt as bad as it sounds. everytime that the front end comes up i just hit the clutch and it will sit back down no problem i havent flipped over backwards doing it. i ride with some really good hill climbers and they all use their clutch on hills too. if a hill is really steep i would never think of down shifting in the middle of it because u would think that would throw you right over. just my opinion though. give clutching a try sometime i bet you will be impressed.