PDA

View Full Version : Pro's and con's of shock covers??

GIXXER1KR
12-16-2006, 06:45 PM
I recently put on all new Motowoz Long Travel shocks and am in the debate of shock covers.The only thing that is scaring me away from the idea is that when ive had them in the past they wore the paint right off the springs.Any ideas?

REITER
12-16-2006, 08:21 PM
i think shock covers a great for a muddy race only. Running them all the time causes heat build up in your shocks, causing them not preform properly and having to have them serviced more often. Heat causes the fluids to break down faster. I am getting Quad Techs for mine...JMO

Sjorge450R
12-17-2006, 05:30 AM
dont worry about the paint, they will save you seals from blowing out sooner. And I dont think that they will build up much more heat. I mean if you have ressies, you cant cool the oil down any more. I use them all the time.

TWILES
12-17-2006, 07:04 PM
I never used covers. I never really saw the point unless it was really muddy and I didn't race then anyway. In my mind the QuadTech things that guard the shaft would be the best thing.

exrider44
12-17-2006, 07:09 PM
I use the Pep shock covers. They dont seem to wear off like shockwears do.

GIXXER1KR
12-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Any idea what company makes them for Peps or are they made by themselves.

firefighterjosh
12-17-2006, 07:38 PM
I ran some on my LT shocks but they keep wearing holes in them. So Now I have my mom making me shock covers lol.

ricks450
12-17-2006, 08:01 PM
i run shock covers to protect my seals to make them last longer. there not going to heat up as long as there getting cooled off by the air rushing across them. i really wouldnt worry about the paint because if there covered your not going to see it anyways. unless u r worryed about it that much. i would just keep fresh good looking covers on it all the time. it will make the seals last longer.:D

400exrider707
12-17-2006, 10:13 PM
The PEP covers are awesome, as they are made from neoprene they wont wear off your paint, however I believe just a set for the front was something like $75:ermm:

cals400ex
12-17-2006, 11:53 PM
http://www.dirtskins.com/item.asp?iid=70

these are like that neoprene material too from what i hear.

TWILES
12-18-2006, 04:40 PM
I have a friend who always used PEP's and he never would use the neoprene covers they sent. He said they would get the shocks hot really fast and they would fade. I never argued with him. I'm 225lbs and my faded anyway. I didn't need any more help. I say last night that QuadTech now has plastic versions of the carbonfiber shock guards that are cheaper. I like the looks of them for the money. He also now has plastic hoods that look nice too for $85 compared to the $190 I paid for mine 2 years ago that are now $225. www.quadtech.com