PDA

View Full Version : IS the Ethanol in our gas BAD for our bikes?

hardbodyt
12-16-2006, 03:49 PM
I was told the ethanol in the gas is bad for our carbs. It corrodes them. Can anyone help explain more on this. Thanks

bsjoe
12-16-2006, 04:06 PM
your sig...

its like 4 posts long

250X_project
12-16-2006, 06:55 PM
If it corrodes the carbs, than it takes it's sweet time at it. I know alcohol will corrode carburetors. Though I do know that the additives in modern gasoline makes gas go stale within 1-1.5 months. When running this your engine will run hotter, and damage can occur. This is worse in 2-stroke engines. I have seen an engine blow because of this.:eek2:

300ex mxracer
12-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by bsjoe
your sig...

its like 4 posts long

ya man you need to shorten that thing up.

QuadJunkies
12-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by 300ex mxracer
ya man you need to shorten that thing up.
Yes I agree... You need to shorten it up please.

I persaonly had issus with my quad not running well with an ethanol blanded fuel, it also permantly took off all the pretty colors on my headpipe
I tohught I had an issue with my jetting, clogged filter ect.. something to that effect, afterdumping all the fuel out and replacing it with a NON ethanol blanded fuel it ran perfect again.

I now ALWAYS dbl. chekc where Im fueling up to aviod this ,but its only a matter of time before we see ethanol in all the fuels Ive heard.

L.Vegas400
12-19-2006, 12:16 PM
gas stations that sell ethanol have to use stainless fittings and line cause of the corrosive nature.

bwamos
12-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Depends on the percentage of ethanol. E85 is going to eat up anything steel due to the tendancy for ethanol to absorb water. Aka.. stuff is gonna rust.

Now a smaller 5%-10% blend.. isn't going to do much.

But it will make you run a tad leaner. Remember it takes avout 2x as much ethanol per volume of air. So if you're running 13.5:1 on gasoline.. with a 10% ethanol mix you're running like you're at 14.2:1 I'm sure this is why people have performance losses.

On cars the EFI w/ O2 sensors adjust.. but a carburated quad doesn't so you're running lean. If you run it you probably need to jump up a jet size maybe 2..

400eXr1d3rZ
12-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Lots of people told me it's possible to put vegetable oil in your gas tank and your quad would run and start. Is this true? I would like to test it out one day.

2004exrider
12-19-2006, 06:02 PM
I think thats just for diesel engines. They can ignite it because of their higher compression. I dont know for sure though, maybe some how you could tweak a gas engine:confused:. BTW ive smelled the exhaust from an engine running on vege oil it was pretty cool, i couldnt believe it actually smelled like chicken lol.

Jimmy

hondarules
12-19-2006, 10:50 PM
yea i think thats only on diesel engines i have a friend that runs it in a truck of his an i believe it has to be used an u do have to filter it pretty good but we averaged it up an it was only gonna be like 32cents a gallon once everything was bought cause most resturants will give the oil away

firefighterjosh
12-19-2006, 11:04 PM
And I though my sig was getting too LONG DAMN DUDE!!!:o

bwamos
12-20-2006, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
Lots of people told me it's possible to put vegetable oil in your gas tank and your quad would run and start. Is this true? I would like to test it out one day.

Aye, not enough compression in a gasoline engine to ignite it properly.