PDA

View Full Version : Camber/Toe in

blown331
12-16-2006, 08:57 AM
ok... since day one that ive owned my atv... ive wondered my my front right wheel is toed in... the top of the tire is more towards the bike

if you're looking at the front of the quad here is what it looks like

/ | of course the angle isn't THAT bad but it is noticeable. Is this normal? If not, can I just tighten up the nut on the control arm and bring this closer to:

| |

?? Any help would be greatly appreciated

jordan_m6
12-16-2006, 10:49 AM
you should be able to, but make sure your on a flat surface.

Jared Coderre
12-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Just to be clear I believe your referring to Camber vs. toe.

Toe is the position of the centerline of the wheel when viewed from the front. If you measure the wheel from the front center of one wheel to the front center of the other wheel then wite down the number then measure from the back of the wheel center to the back of the wheel center and then write the number down you can determine your toe.

If the are equal you have 0 toe if the front is greater than the rear measurement you are toed out, if the rear center to center measurement is greater than you are toed in.

Camber is the tilt of the centerline of the wheel. Picture a carpenters square and the "L" is up against the side of the tire and the bottom part is on the ground. If it was flat on the ground and flat against the wheel you would have 0 camber. If the top tilts more to the out side you have positive camber conversely if the top tilts inward you have negative camber.

When I measured my quad I had 3/8" toe out and 2.5 degrees of positive camber on both sides. Keep in mind this is a static measurement. These values change when you traverse terrain.

When I compress my suspension, the camber changes to 0 mayber a touch of negative camber on both sides and nearly 1/2 inch of toe out.

I don't know the factory settings. I am uncertain they would be relevant as I now have wheel spacers.

In your case I would see if something is bent or a shock shaft is bent or possibly broken. The fact you can visually see they are not equal tells me something is off. It is really easy to check and 0.

If you like I can walk you through checking it?

blown331
12-16-2006, 11:39 AM
ok i got the terminology now...

the bike... from the front view is / | like stated before so per your explanation I have negative camber in my front right wheel, or the left wheel looking at the front of the bike

i have checked everything and nothing looks bent at all this bike was NEVER jumped before me and this has always been aparant on the bike

Old Head
12-16-2006, 11:42 AM
My 02 has the same problem on the same tire and nothing looks bent. So i just decided to deal with it. Only thing i can figure is the spindle is bent.

blown331
12-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Old Head
My 02 has the same problem on the same tire and nothing looks bent. So i just decided to deal with it. Only thing i can figure is the spindle is bent.

I was just about to post this as well... I have measured each spindle where the a-arms mount and at every possibly measuring point they are exactly the same..

Eviltanker
12-16-2006, 01:46 PM
My 06' does it too. guess it's just an EX thing

blasterandy
12-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Same here. I don't know its never messed with me. Even after i bent a tie rod. at about a 90 degree angle.

blown331
12-16-2006, 04:06 PM
weird... but ok haha