PDA

View Full Version : which is safer Quad or dirt bike?

exrider008
12-16-2006, 08:00 AM
which do u think is safer and why?

and please no bashing!

procircuit406ex
12-16-2006, 08:14 AM
im gonna say the quad is safer only because of 2 more wheels, but there both equally dangerous but 1 good thing about a bike is you can lay them down if you need to bail

rmz250
12-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Broken bones are more likely on a bike but there still less dangerous.

12-16-2006, 08:35 AM
id say broken bones are more common on bikes, but having major life changing injurys happpens on a quad

csimp3
12-16-2006, 08:47 AM
your gonna fall down more on bikes, and if its goin south on a bike, you can usually get away from it, but on a quad, if your gonna crash, its usually gonna get pretty ugly

Blue250X
12-16-2006, 08:54 AM
I'd say quads are safer to a point. They are safer with a new rider because you have 2 extra wheels and your not gunna fall over anytime soon. But once you start pushing them I'd say the bike is safer, because your going to get hurt worse if you roll a quad around a turn rather than laying a bike down. And usually the quad crashes take a bigger toll because you do not want to get cought up in a rolling 450r.

CHEVYZ
12-16-2006, 09:00 AM
I would say they are about equal as far as being dangerous. Each have their own ups and downs in that category. You fall more on a bike, but at the same time the crashes are much less "damaging" to the rider since the bikes are so much lighter. At the same time, you crash less on a quad, but when it happens the outcome is usually much more damaging than that of a bike.

AtvMxRider
12-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
I would say they are about equal as far as being dangerous. Each have their own ups and downs in that category. You fall more on a bike, but at the same time the crashes are much less "damaging" to the rider since the bikes are so much lighter. At the same time, you crash less on a quad, but when it happens the outcome is usually much more damaging than that of a bike. :macho

Tommy 17
12-16-2006, 09:30 AM
bike is def safer to jump... u can come up way short with one and be fine... their also alot smoother in ruff stuff...

each has their own place thats safer then the other... like they said bikes u wreck alot quads u don't...

suzukigirl
12-16-2006, 11:34 AM
i'd say they are equally dangerous....if you crash on a quad it will be worse than on a dirtbike...but you are more likely to crash or brake something on a dirtbike.....it depends on how you ride too

cop292
12-16-2006, 12:11 PM
According to emergency room and ems statistics. Bikes are safer than quads. I believe the biggest factor in this is that more people (especially parents) buy quads that are beyond the riders ability. There is a false sense of security with 4 wheels. I'm sure we have all seen the rich kid who has never ridden before talk his parents into buying him a tricked out 450 only to trash it on the first ride.

ZeroLogic
12-16-2006, 12:47 PM
I'd rather have a bike fall on me then a quad.

Mxjunkie
12-16-2006, 01:00 PM
I've been there and wrecked that and I can honestly say that I got hurt more on a bike because bike's you can push them so far and it bites you as soon as you fall in a corner, get some tank slap or hit a rut funny, where as a quad it limit's you and you allways gotta remeber the fact that if you crash you have 350 pounds coming down onto you:p

But you also have to keep at mind that a four wheeler with a thumb throttle with a novice rider aboard since it's very stable it make's it easyier to actually get in the throttle, hence causing a wreck when a turn comes.. That's why I like twist on quads, no one want's to ride mine :p :blah:

Bike's on the other hand you have to keep your balance so for someone thats a novice rider to hop on a bike and go and get into it, the balace factor come's into play and they let off the throttle..

I think as you guy's have said that they kinda balance out to being equal because the bike bites you alot but the quad really gets you but you have to push it to do so..

csimp3
12-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
But you also have to keep at mind that a four wheeler with a thumb throttle with a novice rider aboard since it's very stable it make's it easyier to actually get in the throttle, hence causing a wreck when a turn comes.. That's why I like twist on quads, no one want's to ride mine :p :blah:

i always thought thumb throttles seemed safer, cause if your new to bikes and you get in some rough stuff, the bouncing can cause you to accidentially twist the throttle, and ive seen this happen alot, people will land wrong or get scared and pin a twist throttle wide open, then panic, then crash, especially on bikes cause they will grab a handful of front brakes and either go over the bars or slide out

FourFiftyFour
12-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Bikes

Pappy
12-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by csimp3
your gonna fall down more on bikes, and if its goin south on a bike, you can usually get away from it, but on a quad, if your gonna crash, its usually gonna get pretty ugly

ditto

#1rmman220
12-16-2006, 07:24 PM
well i have a bike and i belive that it is safer because i ride a lot and im experinced to an extent.. but i ride with some friends that have quads and when they crash its bad but he doesn't crash often when i crash most of the time its not bad but some times it can get pretty nasty on a bike.... so it really depends on the rider

Rider-trx_250ex
12-17-2006, 12:05 AM
for hill climbing i'd say bikes, not as much weight as a quad and wont roll. but for trails and such id say quads because of the more stability because of the t more wheels

exrider008
12-17-2006, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by #1rmman220
but i ride with some friends that have quads and when they crash its bad but he doesn't crash often

jodan i never crash...im too good:o

Mc. Muffin
12-17-2006, 08:32 AM
I voted "Equally as dangerous" because both a Bike and a Quad are both dangerous as hell.

As some people said before, bikes are more lighter and you also have much more leg room so when you start to loss you balance you can kick your leg to the ground and get your balance back...

On a quad you weigh some what around 130 pounds more and gravity plays its game and the outcome is more "nasty" when you fall...

12-17-2006, 08:46 AM
I have had both. Ive wiped out hard on quads, and bounced right back up, i was 7 feet in the air off the quad and hit the ground and it went over me, didnt hit me though, i landed hard but bounced up. Ever hit the wheelie bar on a quad? I have, What about on your dirtbike? That was a bloody mess.

orca0294
12-17-2006, 02:02 PM
IMO bikes are safer - on a quad its pretty damn hard to correct your self in the air if the face of the jump is crooked and on a bike you can push the back of the bike and correct it. Dirt bikes can tap the the throttle at the last second of a 45 foot double and still make it where as a quad is definately casing it. If you case anything on a dirt bike it is much smoother. Also, not even a foot wide compared to almost 4 foot wide witch one do you think is more likely to hit a tree that pops out on the trail? Dirt bike to quad weight ratio is close to 2:1.

exrider008
12-17-2006, 07:15 PM
keep those votes comming.

firefighterjosh
12-17-2006, 07:26 PM
I think quads are more safe in some areas like trail riding and stuff. BUt on huge hills underneath 500lbs of atv.

So in all they are equal.

#1rmman220
12-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by exrider008
jodan i never crash...im too good:o

ya you think so pall so how did you break your clutch lever again ha and the po po

bigbadbrad
12-17-2006, 08:04 PM
I think that they are equally as dangerous when in the wrong hands

exrider008
12-20-2006, 04:24 AM
ttt

400exrider989
12-20-2006, 05:22 PM
i think that a quad is more dangerous because if you go over a log and th front end seems to keep coming closer to you face and all you see is the sky then you sqooshed like a bug on a dirt bike it well fly out and your instincts would be to have you feet on the ground in no time but the most dangerous would definitly be a trike tippy on turns crazy fast (some) heavier than a dirtbike but scary as hell to go up a steap hill or big slants

#1rmman220
12-20-2006, 08:03 PM
TTT

12-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by mitch091
I have had both. Ive wiped out hard on quads, and bounced right back up, i was 7 feet in the air off the quad and hit the ground and it went over me, didnt hit me though, i landed hard but bounced up. Ever hit the wheelie bar on a quad? I have, What about on your dirtbike? That was a bloody mess.

I think that there equal..but my last point gets through to everyone that has a sport quad. Do dirtbikes have grab bars to stop you?

JOEX
12-20-2006, 08:19 PM
IMO the danger has alot more to do with who's operating the vehicle than the vehicle itself. The quads weakness is many people have a false sense of security while riding them because they're on four wheels.