PDA

View Full Version : Help W/ A Arms

jread14
12-16-2006, 06:52 AM
Ok, I bought a long travel front end from a guy for a friends 400ex and before I bought them I noticed he had them on a 250r in the pics. When I asked him about it he said that they would work on a 400ex as well. When I got them and tried to install them it seems that the mounting areas are about a 1/4" to wide for the mounting tabs on the 400ex. Can anyone tell me if these will actually work on a 400 and if so what is the best way to get them to work. Thanks, JR

jfwyatt
12-16-2006, 07:07 AM
ive been told you have to replace the 250r pivot bushings with 400ex ones.

Pappy
12-16-2006, 07:11 AM
depending on the brand of arm, you may have to trim the arms and sleeves and even a bushing or two to make them work.

we run Walsh arms that use hiem ends and a spacer system that allows the arms to work on a 250r or 400ex

jread14
12-16-2006, 07:36 AM
Pappy, These are Gibsons... So you think we could trim them and make it work? Are there any problems that could come up from doing that? JR

Pappy
12-16-2006, 07:41 AM
Ive seen folks mod quite a few different brands, but in all honesty I cant give you a good answer unless i had the arms here and did the actual work:p (not trying to solicite business, i would just hate to say, cut it and it not be doable with those arms!)

If you hold the arms up to the frame, you should be able to see what material needs to be removed and from where(equal on both sides, upper and lower) If I remember correctly, you will be cutting on the rear of the arm mount.

The absolute best advice I could give you would be to try and find a set made for the 400ex. The used market is LOADED with them and priced right.