PDA

View Full Version : 440ex modification, please help

09-17-2002, 09:27 PM
I just got a 440 cyinder and sleeve plus a wiseco 11:1 piston.
I payed 50$, yes they are used but in good condition.
I dont have a hole lot of money to put on my bike, but I did put in a K&N filter. I can squeese in a pipe and header but dont know what to choose. What jet do I put in? Is there anything eles cheep I can do? Or ajustment recomendation I shoud do ?
Thank you !!!

Stock 400ex... for now.

Big - D Racing
09-17-2002, 10:35 PM
How you jet yor carb depends on what pipe you go with, what other accesories you have, and where you ride (elevation).. As for pipe I recommend Duncan Racing Fat Boy or Curtis Sparks.

09-18-2002, 01:07 AM
What pipe depends on what type of use your expecting to do.

If your looking to make that set up work properly or at least decent check out some old posts on the 440 and decking the cylinder. Also Q&A with Mickey Dunlap in the teck section.

There are some very little things that if you do them right that big bore will roar but without them you may be dissapointed.

Before you do the pipe (you def need at least a silencer) make sure you get a cam set up for your type of riding.

two_baaalls
09-18-2002, 07:15 AM
You bought a used sleeve? Atleast buy new rings, and have a pro hone your cylinder.

ChadEXer
09-18-2002, 07:53 AM
I think you should buy a cam with your extra money instead of a pipe! You will gain more out of it!!

oynot400
09-18-2002, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
I think you should buy a cam with your extra money instead of a pipe! You will gain more out of it!!

I don't recomend doing this. Don't get me wrong a cam with a 440 is a must, but if you use it with the stock exhaust system you will be greatly dissapointed. Believe me I know. Last year we went to the Silver Lake dune in Michigan. My FMF pipe was broke, so I put on the stock exhaust. Big dissapointment, I got my arse kick by nearly every quad out there.
If you can afford it get both cam and pipe. But if you can't, then just get a pipe. I am running a T-4 wth a Powerbomb header. It seems to work well but I am thinking of going to a Sparks x-6 this winter.
Good luck.......:)

440sparks
09-18-2002, 02:25 PM
A cheap exhaust that would work is your stock header with a Supertrapp.

I think Mickey Dunlap sells this setup as well.
http://www.fourstroketech.com

Becareful putting used parts inside your motor. Sounds like cheap could lead to disaster.

ChadEXer
09-18-2002, 03:20 PM
I agree that if you can afford both then you should get both but like I said earlier If you only have enough for one or the other then get the cam,, a pipe makes about 1 hp more when a cam is a bit more.
Oynot says he put his stock pipe back on and got beat by everyone, well if 1 hp made that much of a difference I think he was just having a bad day,,,you will gain more from a cam,,,I have a good friend with a 440 kit(cam and all) and a stock pipe and his bike is one of the fastest out there!!!most people think his bike is completely stock,,, then he whoops em!!!
If you have enough for both then I recommend a TC pipe!

09-18-2002, 08:10 PM
OK, so tell me if I got it right.

First I buy a slip-on, a WB e-series, r-4 or LRD or Curtis Sparks ... make a sugestion.

Then I keep my stock header and buy a cam instead, but which one, hotcam stage 1 or 2 or what ? I dont want to have to change the springs or harden the rockers.

A k&N filter is already in hand

Now I wont be porting anything so do I put in a bigger jet or it dosent work that way. Do I have to drop the pin on the needle a notch or 2?

VERY INPORTANT, do I take one of the head gaskets of before reasembling the head, you know to get a higher compretion? The head gasket is 3 gasket thick.

stock 400ex ... for now

440exnacsracer
09-18-2002, 08:17 PM
youll have to get a new head gasket made for a 89mm bore, cometic has these. i dont have their number, but go to cometic.com to find out more

09-18-2002, 10:19 PM
Nope first find a good builder or machine shop.

Leave the head gasket alone, if you need to reduce the volume slightly then just get the .025 cometic head gasket.

You dont need the hardfacing on the stage1 or 2 but they will give you diff increases in the rpm range. Stage1 lowermid-top stagte2 uppermid to top. You need to decide where in the rpms you want to increase your power. Also stiffer springs are only about $50.00 and never a bad idea.

As far as pipes I like any thats not stupid loud and adds some hp.

I am currently looking at the full LRD and Graydon + supertrapp slip ons. LRD seems like the better but the IDS2 is only 179.00 and the Graydon looks to be a copy of the LRD in a silencer only (200.00 I think)

Do yourself a favor and do the silencer and cam at the same time, you will be happier that way.

YZROOSTINYA
09-19-2002, 11:05 AM
my sugestion is this, buy a comectis gasket. dont pull it apart. leave it as it comes. get the cylinder honed(like 25 bucks) and get new rings(like 25 bucks)

get a stage 1 cam, get a e-series slip on. use youe stock head pipe. you can get aftermarket springs but not absolutely neccesary. make sure all surfaces of the head and cylinder are clean and flat. use NON-sythetic oil when breaking it in.

if you are getting after market springs try to get titanium retainers. also get new valve seals and make sure your valve seats are not beat out.

you will definitly have to rejet your carb. i would also put at least put 4 uni vents in your airbox lid, or buy a modified lid off ebay for like 60 bucks. or d it yourself. i would say your main would at least be in the 160 or higher range. you really wont know until you have it all together at test it at your elevation.

so :
cam stage one
new gaskets
slip on for now
and some new jets

oynot400
09-19-2002, 01:04 PM
ChadEXer,
I just want to say that it is not the fact that a 1or 2 hp that the pipe would of product that made the difference. It was the fact that it was not running right with that exhaust set up. It had slow throttle response, and seemed real sluggish. I don't know if I would of rejetted and it would of helped or not. I think it was the restriction from the stock pipe, giving it too much back pressure. So it did not breath properly. I agree that a cam really makes the 440 come to life but you need a pipe, of any kind, to help it also. :)

ChadEXer
09-19-2002, 03:42 PM
Your right about the jetting issue. All I was saying was that if he only had enough money for one or the other that the cam will give him the most power increase!

09-20-2002, 12:42 PM
OK thanks for the info you all, here is what I ordered and will be putting on my 440ex.

So I started out with a used cylinder, sleeve and wisco 11:1 440 piston, all in good shape. 50$ good deal.

I ordered a Hotcam stage 2. payed 145$

Cometic 0.025 440 gasket. 27$

I have a K&N filter, pre-filter and dyno jet kit. 120$

And I am going to try a Hindel 440 full exhust, it's new but I'm giving it a go. 385$

Thinking of having my rockers hardened by Splashi'n Dirt, but I dont know this compagie, dose someone have info on them?
They charge 32$

I'll have everything up and running next week, I'll keep you posted on the up-grade, thanks all.

Stock 99 400ex ... for now