PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating hubs and bearing play?

OutlawEX
12-15-2006, 07:49 PM
I have a buddy that had 2 sets of hubs done on his 450R and after he got them back and installed he received excessive play on the bearings. Also another buddy did this on his 400EX and received the same result. Sounds like a known problem. Has anyone had this isssue

gbcap
12-15-2006, 07:55 PM
did they put new bearings in? maybe they are worn out?

OutlawEX
12-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Brandnew hubs off new bikes

Pappy
12-15-2006, 08:50 PM
The pc process should have no effect on hubs. The hub, held at cure temps ranging from 375 to 392 degrees for a cure time of 9 to 15 minutes is not hot enough long enough to change the mechanical properties of the metal. I have hubs in service that were coated years ago and no issues. The only issue i am aware of on a personal note was Duponsters hub had the issue you and I have discussed. he is supposed to send them back because I would like to find out the cause as I believe it to be on the manufacture of the hub or the bearing. I also have not noticed any change in the YFZ, Z400 etc, just the Honda.

We have seen hubs lately that you can almost push the bearings out with hardly any effort. I do not know if this si an issue with the hub or the bearing, but this is BEFORE any coating.

Back when 400ex and 250r hubs were all we were doing, you had better have had a press to get them out, that is not the case now.