PDA

View Full Version : Krazy starter problem ER

KrazyKeith
12-15-2006, 04:16 PM
I was at the hill today and I shut it off to look at a climb. I heard a noise but thought nothin of it, when I got back on and tried to start it made a grinding noise, would turn over but wouldnt start. So after some disgust and the thought of pushing it down the hill I decided to pop start it. It started right up but made one HeII of noise. When I had to start it again it was fine and it was good the rest of the day and is still ok. I already had the starter fixed once but it didnt sound like that when it went out the first time. Has anyone else experienced this?

KrazyKeith
12-16-2006, 05:36 PM
I am the only lucky one I guess.

quadguy83
12-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Your not the only lucky one. Mine has done the same thing a few times. I called the dealer, they had no ideas and if it dosent do it for them they will charge me to look at it even though it is under warrrenty. When i changed the trans fluid i had some metal particles in it. I'm thinkin it could be the starter clutch.

scubasteve450r
12-17-2006, 09:31 AM
my 06 did the same thing for the first 6 months i had it or so. had it to the dealer 3 times they put a new batterie on it and told me to run it. it has been good lately but starts like **** when hot. i am going to a backup kicker on mine, i have never had one of those fail me yet.:D :D

lumi
12-17-2006, 02:45 PM
metal particles can be from alot of things not only the starter....

giving gas during operation can cause kickback, resualting in damage of the sprags and maetal particles, small particles can come with the tranny gears themsleves depending on riding style aswell...

a clutch not grabbing can be overheated or can be damaged....
over extented crank and kickback are causes of this...

also keeping your decomp. adusted helps..

sounds like a burnt starter..

and hot starts are not the origin of a e-start, the kickstart has it aswell, and e-start to a kick start can sometimes even have it more unless u put a hotstart lever on it, but as long as your e-start doesnt have hot start problems u wont with the kick.

-lumi

Xater
12-17-2006, 04:49 PM
my freinds 300ex did that and it was one of the gears that was worn.

ricks450
12-17-2006, 06:34 PM
sounds like your starter gear hung up. i would take the starter off to see if it has any play in starter gear.

KrazyKeith
12-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by ricks450
sounds like your starter gear hung up. i would take the starter off to see if it has any play in starter gear.
That's good advise and easy enough I should look at anyway. It worked real good again all day . I bet I started it 30-40 times today.

lumi
12-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by KrazyKeith
That's good advise and easy enough I should look at anyway. It worked real good again all day . I bet I started it 30-40 times today.

might have overheated it? making it bind a bit, but as long as its working i wouldnt be concerned just dont give gas to promote kickback and stay off the thing for less than 5 seconds, and if you start it alot like u said stay off it 10 seconds between each try or 5 seconds like i do...

the starter clutch alone isnt too expensive to replace like 50 bucks plus a new side gasket another 10 i think.. not bad if u burn ur starter anyways.

-lumi:D

ricks450
12-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by KrazyKeith
That's good advise and easy enough I should look at anyway. It worked real good again all day . I bet I started it 30-40 times today. see if your teeth on the gear look rough like they had sliped if so i would call your dealer to see if they cover that. they might say its a wear item. if so i would put a starter on there before it tears up more than your starter.

ricks450
12-17-2006, 07:26 PM
i wouldnt take the chance usually overheating the starter burns the windings up on the armature or burns the brushes up in the motor. if you can just get the starter clucth like he said it would be alot cheaper to go that way instead of replacing the whole starter. :D