PDA

View Full Version : Namura piston kits any good?

pimpazzberetta
12-15-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm in the process of rebuilding a recently aquired 2000 400ex, that had top end failure. (Piston had a chunk break off, possibly from low oil as there was under a half quart in the engine and tank) I'm looking into the 416 kits. Found some pretty good deals on Namura, and Wiseco, just wondering if one is better then the other.

flattrack440ex
12-15-2006, 06:36 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=261774&highlight=namura+pistons

thats a recent thread about them. many here perfer wiseco but the only thing that i have put in mine are namura pistons and i have had nothing but good things about them. gpracer2500 is very smart on this subject ask him.

pimpazzberetta
12-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the reply and the link. Seems that no one knows if they are cast or forged as of yet?

flattrack440ex
12-16-2006, 10:17 AM
i dont personally know but there are many more people here that know alot and im sure they can tell you

Jared Coderre
12-16-2006, 11:36 AM
I recently installed a Namura piston. I was quite happy with it. I believe it's cast. The reason I say this is a manufacturer typically boasts of this feature. It's more costly to produce a forged piston.

If it were for a racing application I would get the Wiseco. Forged is better than cast.

One thing I like about the Namura piston vs. the Wiseco is they put a releasing agent on the piston skirt. In the event the bike overheated the piston wont fuse to the cyl wall.

I got a kit from ebay the piston, wrist pin, rings, and gasket set for $100. after 10 rides it's going strong w/ no leaks.

Just my .02

Marc
02-23-2008, 01:03 PM
was there any certain way the piston rings had to go in? does the thinner solid ring go in the top slot and the thicker ring go in the middle slot? or the other way around