PDA

View Full Version : hone cylinder

Eddiesanders250
12-14-2006, 07:57 PM
well i was pondering the thought of purchasing a honer... Im not sure how hard they are to use or if its even worth it, but ive been getting kind of sick of taking my cylinder to napa for a $20 hone everytime. I know this is very technical but how hard is it? anybody do it themselves?

canada250r
12-15-2006, 04:26 AM
I am not sure if this will help, but I have honed my cly on my Blaster several times with no problems. I work for Nissan and I have honed many car cly. I do the same thing with the cars as I did with other peoples cars.
Just make sure you have the proper size hone. never stop moving the hone up and down, this will give you a good cross hatck in the cylinder wall. And last make sure you dip the hone in a good clean motor oil before you start.

hop this helped

Eddiesanders250
12-15-2006, 09:16 AM
do you use a drill press to keep the honer straight? what grit stones do you use? do you start coarse and work your way up?

canada250r
12-15-2006, 10:35 AM
I would only use a fine grit hone, that way you will not take off to much material off the cylinder wall. Just make sure you dip the hone in motor oil before you start. When honing make sure you are moving the hone up and down, do not stay in one place.
As for using a drill press?? I would not use that. Use a air driven drill or a good electric one. Reason being is that you want to move fast and a drill press will not allow you to do that. Hope this helps.

Eddiesanders250
12-15-2006, 04:05 PM
ok so just keep the drill as straight as you can..... I saw a 3 stone honer it sounds pretty standard so im assuming it will be ok.. thanks fo your help

Scott-300ex
12-16-2006, 12:59 PM
Yeh, just keep the hone straight, kids at school would turn the drill in like 6 inch circles to try and get every corner, cuz they thought they were smart, I'm like HEY, YOU'LL MAKE IT OUT OF ROUND, the dumb@ss's.:ermm:

Rich250RRacer
12-17-2006, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Eddiesanders250
well i was pondering the thought of purchasing a honer... Im not sure how hard they are to use or if its even worth it, but ive been getting kind of sick of taking my cylinder to napa for a $20 hone everytime. I know this is very technical but how hard is it? anybody do it themselves?

If you're going to use a 3 or 4 stone hone on a 2-stroke cylinder, you're going to be sorry, unless you have one with very long stones. The stones will snag on the ports and shatter. The kind of hone that you buy at an auto parts store like Napa probably isn't going to do the job. If you're just looking to deglaze the cylinder, look for a ball hone. This will work very well, and the fine grit will not take out too much material.