PDA

View Full Version : how many of us actually wear helmets

honda300EXtreme
12-14-2006, 02:31 PM
just curious but how many of you wear a helmet riding

be honest

Bill Fuller
12-14-2006, 02:37 PM
I am to pretty to let something happen to my head.:D I never ride without a helmet.

NPelletier
12-14-2006, 02:41 PM
i wear it all the time, im not good enough to trust myself without one lol:D

honda300EXtreme
12-14-2006, 02:42 PM
yea ive seen to many close calls to not wear one, the only time i dont is if im just like crusin around the woods

Ripitupfilms
12-14-2006, 02:45 PM
the never an excuse to not wear a helmet.

CHEVYZ
12-14-2006, 02:47 PM
I use mine most of the time, but there are occasions where I choose not to wear it. No doubt I should have it on all of the time, but I blame that on my current helmet. After I get a new one it can be expected that I will where it everytime I step on a bike.

TheMachine
12-14-2006, 02:49 PM
My dad alomost died from not wearing one. Cased a triple and quad landed on his head. Stupid mistake. Hopitalized fro a week with bleeding and swelling of the brain.

Family Guy
12-14-2006, 02:54 PM
We dont even ride down the driveway without a helmet on.

BlasterEaten250
12-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Always, and a chest protector.

12-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Helmets...courage for your head.

Always wear riding boots too, given they are the closest thing to teh ground, and any rocks or sticks that might kick up.

Joecool1264
12-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Concussion, natures way of saying wear a lid when you ride!:D

TRX23rider
12-14-2006, 03:26 PM
it is stupid to not wear a helmet...period

yamadjs08
12-14-2006, 03:30 PM
I always think of it this way, if you arent wearing a helmet you must ride pretty slow. Because I honestly couldnt imagine one riding as hard as I do with out a helmet... Must have more balls than brains if you do...
Granted when Im just taking it easy on my property I usually dont wear one, but Im literally not getting past 2nd gear...

Ruby Soho
12-14-2006, 03:35 PM
i wont ride a quad without a helmet. its not worth it. plus my helmet makes me look sexy:D haha just kidding.

the onyl time i dont use a helmet is if its sitting in the driveway after being washed and i pull it in the garage

JRP
12-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
i wont ride a quad without a helmet. its not worth it. plus my helmet makes me look sexy:D haha just kidding.

the onyl time i dont use a helmet is if its sitting in the driveway after being washed and i pull it in the garage

im with you, whenever i ride i have one on, unless i wash it and pull it into the garage. Just like what you said!:)

parkers30
12-14-2006, 03:45 PM
I wear one everytime I go for a ride, occasionally will pull it into the trailer without one or back from washing it, but I don't consider that riding.

I usually even wear one when plowing the driveway and sidewalks you never what idiots on the road in a snowstorm

Pappy
12-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by parkers30
I wear one everytime I go for a ride, occasionally will pull it into the trailer without one or back from washing it, but I don't consider that riding.

I usually even wear one when plowing the driveway and sidewalks you never what idiots on the road in a snowstorm

10-4, couldnt agree more.

even though ive been told my head is harder then any helmet:o

honda300EXtreme
12-14-2006, 04:10 PM
well im glad that were all safe riders (well for the most part)

like you guys been sayin its just not worth it like the other day we went riding and a guy wrecked and the foot peg went into his helmet and cracked it, now imagine if he wasnt wearing one

Doober
12-14-2006, 04:28 PM
only time i dont wear it is when i am washing the quad, but other then that its all the time

exrider008
12-14-2006, 04:32 PM
i will NEVER ride without a helmet. It save my life a few times and now i wont even consider ridding without one.

12-14-2006, 05:03 PM
usually dont use mine when im putting around, i mean, i know my trails 100% back and front of my head knows where everything is, and its just a 250ex, its not really dangerous. i know you guys are gonna flame, but whatever, i admit i have topped out my 250ex numerous times without a helmet and then hitting a jump, but im 100% positive that nothing bad will happen. i guess if you lived where i did you could understand what im saying...

stalefish_132
12-14-2006, 05:09 PM
I pretty much allways wear my helmet, snowmobiling, dirt biking, quading etc. I guess the only thing i ride with out a lid would be my lawnmower.......and even somtimes i wear it under extreme mowing conditions heeh ;)

allways wear one, saved my head many times. not long ago their was a kid that rode his quad off a 5 foot drop off with no helmet, lets just say he's now a vegitable:(

rollie
12-14-2006, 05:15 PM
im always wearing mine, on the quad or pitbike, im with the guy on the first page, if i didnt wear a helmet i couldnt go half as fast, plus i think people that dont wear helmets make riders look like idiots, and i hate that

killerofcrows48
12-14-2006, 05:16 PM
I've gotten a concussion WITH a helmet on...I can't imagine what it would've been like without one!

exrider008
12-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by mjpridered10
but im 100% positive that nothing bad will happen. i guess if you lived where i did you could understand what im saying...

i thought that too. i thought i would never crash but guess what i did. accidents happen and you should be prepared for when it dose and WILL happen. i know my woods in the back of my head but that dosnt mean there wont be things in the trail that wernt there 5 min ago, like a fallen tree for something like that.
its not my business if u where a helmet or not but i just dont want to see anyone get killed over somthing as simple as wearing a helmet. :ermm:

hartnett18
12-14-2006, 05:24 PM
i always where one feels like youre not yourself if you dont. im glad i had a good one on the other day, cased a double ive done over a 100 times went over the bars and the bike completely front fliped on me. pain went straight to my head and was dazed for a breif second. the second you dont put one on youre most likely to do something foolish and wreck.

3exrider23
12-14-2006, 05:46 PM
ya i always wear mine. like even if u are just riding trails or messing around. ive been with kids that didnt have them on in trails n i had mine on and was very glad i did cause even little braches sticing out they got nailed with and i was fine. plus the wind gets in your eyes n its just over all a pain. isnt worth one bit

MX MaNiAc 06
12-14-2006, 05:53 PM
I always wear one and always have.

I was at my buddys n he got a new kx80. I figure im riding an 80 in his 1 acre yard, what could happen? The throttle stuck n i had to bail off as the bike went into a tree 3rd pinned. I slid on my neck and head. I got 5 stitches and a hematoma on my ankle. (no boots either) My head and neck were sore for a few days.

That was my heads up to always wear ur brain bucket no matter what!

EX lvr
12-14-2006, 06:07 PM
the way i figure is why bother spending $100 on a helmet just for a $5 head...

JK i always wear one if im riding any trails even if ive been on em 1000 times before. i wrecked my quad early this summer an split my helmet on a stump.. probly be dead if i wusnt wearing it. instead i was just alittle scraped an sore for a few days

Villageidiott23
12-15-2006, 06:09 AM
i always wear one. learned my lesson already. but im still wondering why i have to wear one even when im not on the quad.

YFZ450Ridr
12-15-2006, 06:18 AM
unless im moving my quad or loading it i always wear one, ever since i was 9 when i first started riding my dad beat it into my head to wear it or i couldnt ride. now its just become a good habit along with wearing my boots and chest protector. i feel naked without them on.

12-15-2006, 06:23 AM
usually dont use mine when im putting around, i mean, i know my trails 100% back and front of my head knows where everything is, and its just a 250ex, its not really dangerous. i know you guys are gonna flame, but whatever, i admit i have topped out my 250ex numerous times without a helmet and then hitting a jump, but im 100% positive that nothing bad will happen. i guess if you lived where i did you could understand what im saying...

let's just put it this way...you can never be 100% positive nothing will happen...case in point...way back in 2000, on a sunday, i was riding on a trial that i have down probably more times than you have even started a bike, i came around a bend and there were 2 large puddles, they were not there on friday, and as far as i had known, it had not rained for a week...anyway, the ole 300ex was lined up with the left wheels on the thi strip of ground between them and the right wheels in the one on the right...i had no where to go and i was topped in 4th ready to go into 5th. can ya guess what happened? good thing i had my skid lid on...

another case in point...around the same time...my 37 yr old neighbor/ relative with a wife and 2 kids was coming from another neighbors(both farmers) house on his 250x. he was riding down a legal back road to ride on. no helmet...mid afternoon and out jumps a deer. for months you could see the blood in the dirt from his head wound. he spent 6 months in the hospital, 12 days in a coma. a week after coming out of the coma, the docs had to induce him into another coma for 3 days. he was in ehab for another 6 months. he can't drive. he can't work. he uses a cane to walk. he forgets who his children even are at times. his wife has two actual kids and a third adult sized kid. he has fits of anger. he is in a sad situation. everytime i think ahh, i am just "putting the bike in the truck, i don't need a helmet," i just think of him and grab it...

12-15-2006, 06:27 AM
besides if you get hurt while riding and atv without a helmet...the atv nazis can say hey here is another one...that just gives us more ammo to get these dangerous, nosiy, environment ruining, pains outlawed

RidinRed420
12-15-2006, 06:47 AM
I always wear my helmet, goggles, gloves, and boots... A few years ago, before I had my own quad, I used to ride double on my boyfriends banshee. I sat in front of him and held onto the handle bars and we usually didn't wear helmets.. The would crash together and thats really not good for the helmet and it didn't feel so good either.

One winter night we went for a ride, we had just gotten to the bottom of a big hill, and noticed a cop. So we tried to stop our friends from coming down, but they were already on their way down.. Since we were riding double, and had no helmets on, and no registration we bounced. We lost a little too much momentum at the bottom of the hill though, and didn't make it up the hill that was covered in ice. We were about 3 ft from the top.. The breaks froze and we just started sliding down backwards. About 1/2 way down we flipped over, the bike rolled over me. I jumped up and ran up the hill. Still don't know how I made it up. But the bike landed on all 4, my boyfriend bent the handlebars up, jumped on and decided to leave, by going head on with the cop. He went right by, no problem, and met me in the woods. I had bruises all over my legs, and the tip of my boyfriends thumb had to be sewn back on. But luckily no damage to the old heads..

A few nights later, we were riding, and my friend was doing a wheelie on his 3 wheeler, hit something and flipped over backwards. He needed a new helmet after that, but he was fine.

Another one of my friends was riding right in front of me. He NEVER wears a helmet, I dont even think he owns one. Well he flipped over backwards landed on a rock and broke his tailbone. He wasn't wearing a helmet, and other than a broken tailbone, he was fine. A helmet wouldn't have protected that.

Its all a game of chance. Sometimes a helmet will save you, and sometimes you dont hit your head so you are fine without it. I don't ride without a helmet, but thats my choice... I don't like riding with my friend who never wears a helmet, cause I care about him and I don't want anything bad to happen to him, but its not my decision to make.. And he rides a street bike and never wears a helmet, and hes crashed 2 times on that and never hit his head.

trick250r
12-15-2006, 06:59 AM

as soon as you think youve got everything under control... thats when the **** hits the fan.

trick450r
12-15-2006, 07:24 AM
ALWAYS when im riding...bringing the bike into the trailer, to where im washing it, or into the garage isnt riding it so no i dont wear one then. once you have an accident with head injury WITH a helmet on, you tend to never ride without one. Two year ago i whiped out at jolly roger racing and had a massive concussion (throwing up blood all the way home, couldnt walk a straight line for a week) if i didnt have a helmet i prolly wouldnt be talking to you guys right now...

bwamos
12-15-2006, 07:54 AM
I hear that. Looking at my helmets.. the deep chips, abrasions, cracks, etc... I would be one dead fool if I wasn't wearign ym helmet.

I wont ever even drive across the staging area without a helmet on.

Live by example, not word.

CDCHONDAS
12-15-2006, 08:01 AM
in my profession i ride some type of bike, quad, etc ever day. and i am guilty of not always wearing a helmet. normally i am test riding on my normall circuit. i probably should be wearing one but oh well, now if my friends come over or we go somewhere riding i definatly wear my helmet as i push the limits which has helped me also become the rider i am,(up for dispute) on a second note I sell alot of helmets at my shop and I gotta say get one that fits right, not nice and the best you can afford. in the end its worth it. I get a kick out of these people coming in looking for youth helmets hoping i have something in the $20 range. i am like get a grip, your kid isnt worth 70-80 bucks or whatever it is? For that reason I dont stock and wont sell a cheapy, its just not worth your life.

red2004 TRX450R
12-15-2006, 10:44 AM

when i was younger I thought that to!!! Im a good rider I don't wreck i have road this trail 20 times a day for the past 10 years nothing ever happened to me.

WELL, luckley I am still here to tell you this!!!!!
most if the times I have wrecked and got hurt, was for the most part noting that I could have controlled!!

One day (about 12 years ago) a couple of my friends were hanging out with our bikes getting ready to go camping. SO i decided to take a ride down the drive way and back, so i took my helmet of the handle bars and thought it on the ground. jumped on my 200sx Honda and went down the long (150 years in a field) my friend decided to do the same on a bike. on my way back up the drive way he almost hit me!!! then i went past the drive way and around the only tree for miles. AND that is all i rember.

He came back up the drive way and across the yard and his front fork-tire bent my fount rim, smashed the foot peg into the frame so hard it dented in the frame. and broke my leg in half. and went through the back fender and bent the inside if the back rim like pac man. at this time he broke his arm real bad. ALso went over the bas and his chin hit me in the left side of my head. witch caused a depressed skull fracture. I was laying in the yard blooding to death and my other friends got help.

the doctor had to cut my head open to release pressure so that I would not die. and end up with more brain damage that i have.
I got a 4X3 inch upside down U shape scar on the side of my head with a 2 in scar from where he hit me.
I was in intensive care for 2 weeks.
Now I get bad head head acs all the time and only have about 50% feeling in the whole right side of my body.

he broke his jaw is several places and lost most of his teeth. he had his jaw wired shut for months.

the accident happened so fast i was not even aware of it!!

if we where both waring our full faced helmets (witch were laying 20 feet form the accident) we could have just went to the ER for a couple of hours.

WEAR A HELMET you may be a good rider but what about other people, down trees, animals!!! not to mention the trauma an accident like that does to you friends and family.

if you could see the pictures you would always wear a helmet. ill get them up some day.

JJE02EX
12-15-2006, 11:30 AM
I WILL ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN OTHER WISE? MY FRIENDS BROTHER CRACKED HIS HEAD OPEN ORUND A TREE NOT WEARING A HELMET AND DID NOT LIVE ....NOT ME I HAVE TO MANY THINGS TO LIVE FOR IM ONLY 21 AND I ALSO HAVE TWO PERFECT BABY BOYS TO KEEP IN LINE ....SO I WILL ALWAYS WEAR ONE EITHER WAY YOUR STUPID NOT TO !!!!JEFF

Ruby Soho
12-15-2006, 01:09 PM
i really don't get why people don't wear them. i mean, if you can spend 5,000 on an ATV, you can spend 100 on a helmet. i actually enjoy riding with my helmet for a couple of reasons, 1. keeps me warm 2. i like the way it looks and 3 id rather have a helmet on then spend the rest of my life in coma:chinese:

Kickstarts-suck
12-15-2006, 03:14 PM
I don't because all i do is ride to my friends house or around the trails

If i want to do some "hard riding" i wear it.

Now i wear it alot because of the new law out that says you can ride as long as you have a helmet on and your lisence. Now that its cold it keeps you warm

hartnett18
12-15-2006, 05:38 PM
my friend saw a duner at little sahara,OK get his face ripped off after hitting a tree on the trails. The dunes are really fun but i dont get why so many people dont where helmets out there i mean i know it can get hot but better than being in the hospital. Also the main gate to the dunes is painted bright RED and all day it was open then at about 5:00 they closed the side that was open and guys where so used to it being open they would just slam into the bright RED! pole it was pretty funny. of course no helmet either.

12-15-2006, 05:54 PM
i understand what you guys are saying. thanks for the advice, im proud to say i wore the good ole helmet today, but nothing happened...lol

firefighterjosh
12-17-2006, 09:18 PM
I wear a helmet almost all the time. the only time I did not was saturday when I was mudding in my 4x4. I don't think I ever hit 5mph. I know I could get hurt doing that even but its a chance I took. I also don't wear a helmet when farming season is around. Kinda a hassle wearing a helmet when pullling trailers around the driveway.

Other then those 2 examples I always wear one.