PDA

View Full Version : Smokes when hot

Swamper
09-17-2002, 05:43 PM
I have a 2003 400EX that has about 30 hours on it. Engine was broken in properly. Oil has been changed with Honda GN4 and filter one time. I have noticed twice now that after riding for an extended period of time the bike will emit some whiteish smoke after the engine revs( when letting off the throttle). Once the bike cools it does not do this. Could this be the engine getting hot? It doesn't smoke at start up or any other time. Just after riding for a while. Any help on this matter is appreciated.

ZMAN
09-17-2002, 05:59 PM
u may want to check your oil because my cousins 250x's engine was runnin low on oil and it was rubbin metel to metal that may b the problem. u may want to check your filter to it may b in wrong
:confused: :confused: :confused:

stupid driver
09-17-2002, 06:06 PM
i think that mite be your prob too. it hasn happend to me, and ive had mine for a few months.

Swamper
09-17-2002, 07:13 PM
oil is ok and filter is in right, any more thougts?

ZMAN
09-17-2002, 07:18 PM
it would b a pain to take the engine apart but u may check the piston rings sometimes u may fry them right away but usuall if it is that it is black smoke
:confused:

redrider ex
09-17-2002, 07:19 PM
it is'nt to oily is it and is your oil level to high.

Chris400extreme
09-17-2002, 08:01 PM
the problems witht he whole deal is the heat. the front(exhaust) valve seals get hot after extended periodds and the tend to harde and not retail the oil as they should. this leads to the oil smoke, whitish blue that you see after a rev. all 400 ex motor will experince this problem sooner or later, they just need to get hot enough. my 500 does it regularly, let it cool and everyhting is alright. when new seals are put in they are doft enough to keep this from happening, it only occurs over an extended periods of time.

later man

GoingBig
09-17-2002, 08:24 PM
i have a 2001 400 ex and had this happen to me. keep a close eye on it..if you start noticing that it is using oil take it in and at least have it look at and tell them what is going on. i did this twice so it was documented by honda. after about 8 months it was using oil like crazy and they had to warranty cuz i had it in there for that problem within the first 6 months. my rings were bad and the valves were cooked..dont know what caused it but they had to fix it. i wouldnt worry though unless it is using oil.

Swamper
09-18-2002, 03:34 PM
Thanks guys, any more thoughts. I think I will call the dealer in the morning and get their input.