PDA

View Full Version : High school football weight training

quads14589
12-13-2006, 02:25 PM
so today i had my meeting with one of my coachs and we talked about the season we had and next season. so he told me to get into the weight room and he said he wants me to be able to bench,squat,powerclean,deadlift 100+ then i can do now. so benching will be up there and so will squating and powercleaing. i am going out for DE for next season and im gonna be a junior. so i hope i can wreck some kids this comming up season.

derekhonda
12-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Unless you have seriously lifted like a girl in the past there is no way to add 100 pounds to your bench or power clean in a year. Squat, maybe. Deadlift definately.

ridered11
12-13-2006, 05:57 PM
squat and deadlift are easy to increase (not easy to do, everything take hardwork)

i've had allot harder time increasing my bench more than any other body part

do you guys have any recomendations, or pointers on how to increase benchpress

i'm 15 and i weigh 170

bench:205
dead lift:355
squat:300
military press:140
and i'd have to get back to you on power cleans, snatch and stuff like that i haven't maxed out in them in forever

quads14589
12-13-2006, 06:24 PM
lol u bench more than me squat more than me, i can military press more than u and powercleans im the king at. and we also have this machine that u squat down then you throw it up when u come up with all ur momentum and i can do a **** load on that. do u do any protein shakes tho?

quads14589
12-13-2006, 06:25 PM
and are those your maxouts?

honda4life72
12-13-2006, 09:03 PM
i play DE i was starting for varsity and i'm in a 14 year old freshman lol.... kinda helps when your 185 6'3 lol .......its fun when litttle running backs try to make the inside corner.

250r4life
12-13-2006, 09:15 PM
you young guys take it slow on working out real hard when you are young... especially on the squats and dead lifts and things of that nature... youre still growing and its not good to do... if youre going to do it, do a little weight and lots or repititions... i wouldnt go over 225 lbs during your workouts...

and unfortunalely i know this the hard way... i started breaking school squat records my sophmore year, and broke one every single time i maxed out from then on... now im a 24 year old stuck in a 40 year olds body... i dont know if it is because of squating, but i am the shortest male in my fam, my knees ache all the time... my body is just not in a good shape for being a 24 year old... a lot of people reach their prime around 24- i am physically uncapable of getting back to where i was at 18- my body couldnt handle the work to try and get there...

Villageidiott23
12-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Quads. pm me and i can give you sum good advice...

bwamos
12-14-2006, 07:02 AM
Squats are all about form. Work on your form there.

Anyone can easily lift 400+ lbs if they use the correct form. The hardest part should be stepping back away from the rack to get into position.. lol.

Make sure you aren't leaning too far forward or back. Keep your back straight.. don't hunch over. Too many people hunch their backs. That is BAD!

stunt_69
12-14-2006, 09:48 AM
When i started football as a freshman, i maxed out at 135. The summer b4 my sophomore year i maxed out at 250. It aint impossible, but u do have to bust major a$s.

honda4life72
12-14-2006, 04:28 PM
and buy alot of ice cuz you will need it lol... in 8th grade i maxed at 155 this year i got 245 almost hundred mor epounds..but i was dedicated to it ..if you want somehtign bad u got to work for it

12-14-2006, 05:08 PM
i highly doubt you'd be able to put up 100 more lbs on the bench...it just seems too much. i just started lifting religiously, im 5'4, 120 pounds, and i bench 165, squat 250 and deadlift 300, im a short stocky guy, but anything is possible. im in my junior year, didnt lift all frosh and soph. year, but frosh year i couldnt even get up 100 pounds, now i can do 165 max...so go for it

derekhonda
12-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by honda4life72
and buy alot of ice cuz you will need it lol... in 8th grade i maxed at 155 this year i got 245 almost hundred mor epounds..but i was dedicated to it ..if you want somehtign bad u got to work for it

not in 1 years time, unless you were being a ***** before....

quads14589
12-14-2006, 05:40 PM
yah but when you are shorter and have shorter legs its alot easier to do squating than a 6'1 kid.

macg1
12-14-2006, 06:11 PM
i just do alot of reps every muscle like chest, triceps, biceps, etc.i
its working really good.. i bench press the most in the grade cuz i weigh 125 and i bench 140

honda4life72
12-14-2006, 06:19 PM
yea but i have been liftign sense i was in 5th grade lol.. on and off ... i lifted every other day for the off season in my 8th to 9th grade year ..

12-14-2006, 06:22 PM
you can definatly add 100 pounds on everything...but be prepared to give up a ton of free time, some riding and girls and parties for a while...IMO its not worth it unless your whole team is deticated as much as you are

Hondadudeehhhh
12-14-2006, 06:28 PM
to get passed the plateu on bench, do towel bench and variations of chest/shouldier work outs. To get squat up do box squat and get your hamstrings strong. In most cases people dont go parallel in their squats, therefore they work their quads more than their hamstrings. That is what happened to me, i ended up pulling ym hamstring because it was so weak compared to my quad muscle. To get your numbers up work on your form everyday with little weight then do your excersize (3x3, 5x5, 10-8-6 ect).

Dave400ex
12-14-2006, 07:27 PM
It will be hard to do on bench and powerclean. Just be careful. As a sophmore I powercleaned 260 and tried 265 twice at the end of the class and it got the best of my knee the second time.

derekhonda
12-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Honda86
[B]you can definatly add 100 pounds on everything...but be prepared to give up a ton of free time[B]

quit giving out information.

did you add 100 pounds to every one of your lifts?

be prepared to give up tons of free time? To be honest weight training doesnt take that much time, an hour a day....doesn't sound like a lot of time to me...

to get passed the plateu on bench, do towel bench and variations of chest/shouldier work outs. To get squat up do box squat and get your hamstrings strong. In most cases people dont go parallel in their squats, therefore they work their quads more than their hamstrings. That is what happened to me, i ended up pulling ym hamstring because it was so weak compared to my quad muscle. To get your numbers up work on your form everyday with little weight then do your excersize (3x3, 5x5, 10-8-6 ect).

Very good info. Vary up your routines to bust through plateaus.

yah but when you are shorter and have shorter legs its alot easier to do squating than a 6'1 kid.

It is way easier for short people to add mass on any lift compared to tall people. Just the nature of the body, even on bench.

It will be hard to do on bench and powerclean. Just be careful. As a sophmore I powercleaned 260 and tried 265 twice at the end of the class and it got the best of my knee the second time.

Never, have I EVER seen anyone PC thatmuch. Post a pic, please.

This will be fun to read tomorrow, I am pretty smashed right now...

honda4life72
12-15-2006, 03:35 PM
It is way easier for short people to add mass on any lift compared to tall people. Just the nature of the body, even on bench.

Never, have I EVER seen anyone PC thatmuch. Post a pic, please.

This will be fun to read tomorrow, I am pretty smashed right now... [/B][/QUOTE]
yea i have never seen someone pc that much eitheir. ... i cna only do like 100 pounds and thats tough

Dave400ex
12-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Are you guys thinking of a different type of Powerclean then I am? Our PC record was 300 at the school. We started with the weight on the ground and knees bent. Is that what your thinking? If so that's how I did 260.

honda4life72
12-15-2006, 05:39 PM
no i thinking pick it up chest hight and then flip your wrist

Dave400ex
12-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Right you bring it up to your chest and flip your wrists to get underneath the weight. I was talking about the starting position. None the less I did it.

derekhonda
12-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Still not convinced. Think you might be confusing it with deadlift. In fact now that I think about it, I've never seen anyone PC more than 220. Ever.

Rider-trx_250ex
12-15-2006, 06:38 PM
caffeine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sry for the long post but take some time to read it

drink like a red bull or something one hour be4 u lift. the caffeine releases fat stores in ur body into ur bloodstream so they can be burned faster, it has a lot of other advantages too. it also increases indurance definitivly and maybe strength (still uncertain)

quoted from Syd Johnston
"Caffeine is a stimulant known to have ergogenic benefits. It is of questionable benefit to strength training athletes, but is of certain benefit to endurance athletes.

Caffeine works at many different levels in the body to cause its effects. It affects the Central Nervous System (CNS) by increasing neuronal excitability, which has the effect of decreasing reaction time (1). This effect may be especially beneficial to athletes in sports requiring quick reflexes, such as martial arts, boxing, or wrestling. However, taking in too much caffeine can cause adverse
reactions, such as delayed reaction times and shakiness.

It has been thought that the effect of caffeine on the CNS could enhance the power of muscle contraction. However, several studies on this issue have shown inconclusive results, meaning its potential effect on phosphagen- powered activities such as sprinting, jumping, or weight lifting is uncertain (2).

The effect of caffeine on endurance activities such as long-distance running and cycling has been well documented (3, 4). It has been shown to decrease marathon run times as well as time trials in cycling (3, 4). Caffeine has also been shown to increase endurance in these activities and activities like them. It does this by increasing lipolytic activity (fat breakdown) in the adipocyte (fat cell), thereby, increasing free fatty acid (FFA) oxidation in the plasma (3). A somewhat simplified explanation of how this works is that FFA's are readily oxidized (burned enabling energy production) in place of muscle glycogen( i.e. caffeine increases your personal miles to the gallon). This would be of benefit to anyone attempting to lose weight or, more specifically, fat mass because caffeine will enable you to run, swim, or bike for a longer period of time. This equates to more calories being burned as well as increased basal energy expenditure and numerous hormonal and physiologic benefits (3).

It has been noted that the use of caffeine on a regular basis will reduce its beneficial effects due to the body's ability to develop a physiologic tolerance to it (3). It would be a good idea to try out caffeine a week or two prior to an event to gauge its effects. It is recommended that caffeine be consumed about one hour prior to activity (3). The recommended intake is 2-3 cups of coffee; anymore is detectable in urinalysis, is not beneficial, and is potentially dangerous due to its powerful diuretic and vasoconstricting ability (which increases water loss and blood pressure, respectively) (3). These effects in themselves can be harmful and disadvantageous to athletic performance.

In addition, the use of caffeine in conjunction with substances such as ephedrine (found in Mau-Hung and Gin-Singh) is potentially dangerous due to their ability to over excite the CNS and cause vasoconstriction, which can lead to cardiac arrest."

12-15-2006, 07:07 PM
hey man, im just gonna say that its gonna take a lot of work for you to increase everything by 100lbs, and without really hard dedication and some other things, getting your bench up 100 lbs is gonna be hard as h3ll to do!

honda4life72
12-16-2006, 06:37 AM
DON'T DRINK A ENERGY DRINK BEFORE EXCERSISE!!!!!!!!! a guy in our are ( nc ) died cuz the energy drinks make your heart rate speed up

Dave400ex
12-16-2006, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda
Still not convinced. Think you might be confusing it with deadlift. In fact now that I think about it, I've never seen anyone PC more than 220. Ever.

I know what deadlift is and I'm not getting confused. I deadlifted around 500. I don't see why it's such a big deal, we had several guys powercleaning over 250 in high school.

extremeblastr
12-16-2006, 08:12 AM
alright i'm senior in high school and i've had a few scouts around from uconn this year between me (safety) and the running back at my school we both max at 265 on the bench i can pc 230 and he can pc 265 i squat about 250 and hes up around 3 i can't give an exact number there and we can both dead lift about 4 but then comes some other numbers like how much can you leg press very helpful thing when it comes to tackling or powering through a tackle i personally can rep 400 7 times on the leg press and our running back is pretty close to that and then there is your neck which should always be on the larger side to prevent injury and we have machine that we use for that and i can rep 45 about 5 times or so and with all these numbers the scouts want 20 punds on my bench and pc and 50 on my squat its been 3 weeks since we stopped playing and i could really get into my routine hardcore and i've already added about 10 toboth my pc and bench and about 15 to my squat so it is entirely possible to gain 100 pounds on everything in one year

as for that caffeine thing do your best to stay away from that a few kids on my team ended up in the hospital after drinking a red bull before a workout its just to much stress on your heart (unless or course you have adhd like i do and caffeine puts you to sleep instead of making you hyper)

extremeblastr
12-16-2006, 08:13 AM
o yea and i'm 6'1" 205

12-16-2006, 08:33 AM
derek...
acctually a friend of mine added a ton of weight on all of his work outs and just got 2nd for our city in a body building contest...he sold his banshees, dont have a GF and just studys and works out...i am not talking about 1 hour work outs, i am talking 2 and 1/2 to 3 hour work outs, along with proper stretching, and not to menton for football your conditioning has to be top notch...not to mention proper meals to work with your work outs...it DOES become a life style, i seen my good friend convert over to it...but then again i knwo alot of people that just hit the bench for 10 mins and call it a work out, it just depends on how commited you are...IF he DOES want to be as big as he describes, it will become his life...so he might as well put a cover over his quad and he to the gym. ATLEAST 5 days a week

derekhonda
12-16-2006, 12:03 PM
derek...
acctually a friend of mine added a ton of weight on all of his work outs and just got 2nd for our city in a body building contest...he sold his banshees, dont have a GF and just studys and works out...i am not talking about 1 hour work outs, i am talking 2 and 1/2 to 3 hour work outs, along with proper stretching, and not to menton for football your conditioning has to be top notch...

Honda...
anything more than a 1 hour work out is a waste. your body actually starts to use muscle as fuel. of course your body building buddy surely knows this.

http://www.fitness.com/forum/weight-training/full-body-taking-too-long-15424.html?highlight=how+long+to+lift

not to mention proper meals to work with your work outs...it DOES become a life style, i seen my good friend convert over to it...but then again i knwo alot of people that just hit the bench for 10 mins and call it a work out, it just depends on how commited you are...IF he DOES want to be as big as he describes, it will become his life...so he might as well put a cover over his quad and he to the gym. ATLEAST 5 days a week

Not for everyone. Tens of thousands of people each day go to the gym to get a jog in on the treadmil or use their weight training equiptment. Its only a select few who do make it a lifestyle.

I'm not arguing, its going to take hard work. But feasibly, no you cannot add 100 pounds to bench in a year if you are already performing at par or better. I still do not believe you about your lifts, seriously post a picture of yourself. I know what peope who bench squat deadlift and powerclean as much as you say you do should look like.....

caffeine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and then a bunch of bull****....

Great idea, get your heart racing....and then make it race some more. Do not take this persons bad advice.

12-16-2006, 02:49 PM
i dont agree about after 1 hour is a waste....especially when you are working so many different parts of your body...and i do not body build myself...but one of my good friends trainer was one of the finalist for MR. Michigan and he recomends 2 and 1/2 hour workouts and hes been doing it for years and years, i guess he dont know what hes talking about? :rolleyes:

but regardless of what your doing, with football its going to take alot of work and it does take away from other things

Edit: And i know alot of people just go to the gym for a jog or a lift work out...i am saying to get serious into it, it takes up alot of time and detication, even when your not at the gym or working out, you should be eating right, retting proper rest...etc

derekhonda
12-16-2006, 07:30 PM
i dont agree about after 1 hour is a waste....especially when you are working so many different parts of your body...and i do not body build myself...but one of my good friends trainer was one of the finalist for MR. Michigan and he recomends 2 and 1/2 hour workouts and hes been doing it for years and years, i guess he dont know what hes talking about? :rolleyes:

Ever think hes trying to brag? "Yeah....I spend 3 -4 hours a day in the gym...."

Here is another link cause you obviously HAVE been informed wrong.

http://www.fitness.com/forum/body-building/can-i-split-out-my-workout-day-18411.html?highlight=how+long+should+I+work+out%3F

and some excerpts from the link:

"A fullbody routine should only be 6-7 exercises, and doable in 45-60 minutes."

"It should last around an hour, all said and done, and I hope you can find time for an hour of training all in one shot, 3 times per week."

I'll post more later, when im sobor! haha this week has been a drunkfest for me...

derekhonda
12-16-2006, 07:30 PM

Ever think hes trying to brag? "Yeah....I spend 3 -4 hours a day in the gym...."

Here is another link cause you obviously HAVE been informed wrong.

http://www.fitness.com/forum/body-building/can-i-split-out-my-workout-day-18411.html?highlight=how+long+should+I+work+out%3F

and some excerpts from the link:

"A fullbody routine should only be 6-7 exercises, and doable in 45-60 minutes."

"It should last around an hour, all said and done, and I hope you can find time for an hour of training all in one shot, 3 times per week."

I'll post more later, when im sobor! haha this week has been a drunkfest for me...

12-16-2006, 08:57 PM
boy u really twist words dont ya? he usually spends about 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours working out...i think the more u put into it the more youll get out of it....Like i said his trainer was one of the finalist for mr michigan and hes HUGE....i think 1 hour is a good amount but i always beleived the more you work at something, the more success youll have...plus i was talkin about it becoming your life when i brought up the sleeping on schedual, eating right is VERY inportant and practice practice practice.....adding 100 to everything is very possible, just work hard at it...

BTW the link you send is just another forum? :rolleyes: :confused:

Rider-trx_250ex
12-16-2006, 11:50 PM
Great idea, get your heart racing....and then make it race some more. Do not take this persons bad advice. [/B][/QUOTE]

dont listen to me if u want just putting my 2 cents in, but a red bull only has 80 mg of caffeine while a mountain dew has 54.5 mg and a cup of brewed coffe has 135mg of caffeine. ur heart wont still be beating as fast since u consumed it an hour ago, the caffeine gets the fat into ur blood stream to be used as an enegy and be burned off, losing u some weight and making ur endurance longer. and if u are burning out every rep and ur heart is beating very fast ur just wasting time. before ur muscles even rebuild themselves u will be tearing them down again, which is useless. u will have lost everything that u have acomplished in the previous training. so ur heart should not be beating that fast. dont bash an idea when u dont know the science behind it. i haven't heard anything negative on what im disscussing and until i do i see nothing wrong in a red bull 1 hour before lifting. buts its ur life, do with it what u wish. ask ur doctor if u feel strong about it. it never hurts.

ohhh ya, and when ur benching dont bounce the bar off ur chest, it may give u momentum to put it back up but it can really hurt u.