PDA

View Full Version : UM Aluminum Airbox

tp300ex
12-13-2006, 01:55 PM
J>W but how hard is it to relocate the batteryt on with the UM Aluminum Airbox
is there alot of work?

johnsls
12-13-2006, 02:04 PM
It depends if the box comes with the longer cables. Thats pretty much it.. but you will probally need to make small adjustments for it to fit over the mounting locations. Mine had to be cut where it matches up with the seat latch.
You can probally get away with using a file.

NacsMXer
12-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Relocating the battery is simple. I didn't have to modify my UM airbox at all. The kit comes with a new mount and location for the starter solenoid...mounting that is simple as well.

For myself, the hardest part of the whole install was modifying the stock rubber intake boot to fit the new aluminum airbox. You need to cut off the part of the airboot that accepts the stock snorkel and cut a notch into the area you just cut so that it will fit into the airbox hole properly.

It was the most time consuming part for me because I took my time at it. To make the notch, I sliced down the edge of the airboot ring on both sides with an exacto knife and then used a small pair of wire cutters to carefully cut out the center. If you do it properly, it will fit the new airbox hole perfectly.

blown331
12-13-2006, 03:03 PM
are the mounting tabs on this box strong? I mean... i'd hate to be out in Glamis and hit a good jump and have it snap

do they have a brace running underneath the box?

i've been pondering this upgrade and really would like to move the battery

NacsMXer
12-13-2006, 03:15 PM
The mounting tabs are strong from what I have seen. They don't break easily like those cheap ebay airboxes. I've had mine for about 3 years pounding it with MX riding FYI.

There's no brace underneath it, just the rear mount by the seat latch in the rear of the subframe and two tabs that go on top of the subframe rails on either side.

Contrary to what UM says, I have run both a K&N filter and a UNI filter in this box. They say you must run a UNI filter or stock, but the K&N worked for me if you want to run one.

This box is expensive but worth it from my experiences with it ;)

AbnMP13
01-15-2007, 07:14 AM
I know this is old but I'm just researching the whole aftermarket aluminum airbox thing.

Pro's and cons? What is the best brand FOR THE MONEY?

johnsls
01-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Some might ask the type of riding and JUMPING you do??

I've read where some peole have bottomed out and smacked the box.

I beleive my box is a little tapered where some boxes are shaped like a shoe box.

Is is worth it.. depend on you

AbnMP13
01-15-2007, 09:43 AM
50/50 trails and MX but nothing extreme on the MX side. I don't foresee bottoming out being an issue.

01-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by AbnMP13
I know this is old but I'm just researching the whole aftermarket aluminum airbox thing.

Pro's and cons? What is the best brand FOR THE MONEY?

I've heard people have had problems with the non-UM airboxes.

I've never heard of a problem with UM.

I've got a UM on the way.

Do it right, do it once.

AbnMP13
01-15-2007, 02:43 PM
I got my eye on one on eBay, we'll see what happens.

ImplodedMindZ
01-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Just pay the extra money and get a UM box, you wont be disapointed. You will on the other hand if you buy a cheap knockoff ebay one. I hear of alot of people breaking the ebay ones.

AbnMP13
01-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by garandman

Where did you order it from?

01-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Where did you order it from?

Cycle Parts West.

Special internet price came to $184 shipped.

They have to order it from UM, and then ship it to me

AbnMP13
01-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Wow! That's twice the one on eBay. The one on eBay is made by Insaneperformance (http://www.insaneperformanceatv.com/400ex.html).

Someone on here has one, maybe they'll find this thread and post how it's holding up.

hornetgod13
01-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Beware of the Ebay aftermarket air boxes. I have read several threads about them being poorly constructed with weak welds.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=252924&highlight=airbox

They are not worth the money. Spend a bit more on a quality product. UM makes the best. Money well spent.

AbnMP13
01-15-2007, 03:37 PM
AAAAwwwwwwww, Hornet.................loan me some money!

I'm searching for 'em now, where's my jar full of pennies?

hornetgod13
01-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Trust me. The Ebay Air Box is poor quality. I looked at it. Do a search on here and you'll find others that have discovered too late.
You can't install every mod overnite. I've had my quad 8 months and I'm still going. One at a time.

AbnMP13
01-15-2007, 05:24 PM
I emailed the guy selling the eBay airbox, he said they are going to start offering a 90 workmanship warranty on all their airboxes.

Chin_Chilla
01-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by garandman
I've heard people have had problems with the non-UM airboxes.

I've never heard of a problem with UM.

Do it right, do it once. I ready a second ago on another thread that you bought a UM airbox from Motosport.com for $164? Where did you finally purchase it from and how much. Seems like the motorsport box was cheaper?

HondaSkidoo
01-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
Trust me. The Ebay Air Box is poor quality. I looked at it. Do a search on here and you'll find others that have discovered too late.
You can't install every mod overnite. I've had my quad 8 months and I'm still going. One at a time.

I have the box from insane performance and I have read of a few who had problems with them. I on the other hand think it is every bit as good as the um box when compared and it is half the price. They even offer a great cover for 20.00 extra. I called them before I ordered it and he said if I had any problem with it they would fix it or replace it given it wasn't abuse. Call them direct and you will get a little better price. I ride similar to you.

One suggestion I would make which ever box you buy would be to tie wrap the front tabs around they frame which i think keeps the box from bouncing and adding unnessary pressure on the rear mount.

Keep in mind people that spend double have to justify it buy saying every ebay box is bad when in reality insane performance has sold 100s of them with no problems.

Good Luck

AbnMP13
01-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Skidoo,

Does that lid have anytype of filter in it?
Why did you get the one with the lid instead of an open one and adding a outerwear?

I'm not criticizing you, just doing research before I purchase one.

HondaSkidoo
01-15-2007, 06:11 PM
I still used an outerwear. I just got the lid to help keep mud and other debri out as added protection, however its not necessary. It has 2 large holes under that baffle so air flow is still great. :D

hornetgod13
01-15-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by HondaSkidoo

Keep in mind people that spend double have to justify it buy saying every ebay box is bad when in reality insane performance has sold 100s of them with no problems.

Your slightly off with your assumption. I do not own an aluminum box. I have done my homework and feel that those made by the seller on Ebay are not the best quality and are bound to break eventually. I've heard from others that have had issues. Perhaps it will last a long time with your riding style. I believe you're trying to justify your purchase and are upset with those who question it. I was just trying to warn a friend of possible problems. Trying to save money can end up costing you double when you have to replace it.
I went with an EHS Racing Lid. I like it. I can deal with where the battery sits.

HondaSkidoo
01-16-2007, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
Your slightly off with your assumption. I do not own an aluminum box. I have done my homework and feel that those made by the seller on Ebay are not the best quality and are bound to break eventually. I've heard from others that have had issues. Perhaps it will last a long time with your riding style. I believe you're trying to justify your purchase and are upset with those who question it. I was just trying to warn a friend of possible problems. Trying to save money can end up costing you double when you have to replace it.
I went with an EHS Racing Lid. I like it. I can deal with where the battery sits.

I don't have to justify saving half, If it breaks and insane won't fix it I can just buy another one and it would still be cheaper, It only takes less than an hour to install. I do like your set up. If mine does break maybe I try relocating my battery in my stock box and get a lid like that. Messing around with mods is half the fun with ATVs to me.
I can always till when someone takes care of there stuff buy there surroundings in their pictures and that is a really nice trailer floor. :D

hornetgod13
01-16-2007, 05:13 AM
I think it's the Motocross riders that have issues with these boxes breaking. I'm certain that trail riding is better suited for the design.
I know what you mean about mods. I think I've spent nearly $2,500 on mods alone. My HiPer wheels are sopposed to be here Friday and The Klaw Tires are in the garage waiting.
You have an eye for the details. My trailer is a 6x10 with a built in ramp. It's nice.

01-16-2007, 05:37 AM
I don't have to justify saving half, If it breaks and insane won't fix it I can just buy another one and it would still be cheaper, It only takes less than an hour to install.

For myself, I don't mind spending twice as much, as long as I only have to do a job once.

Even if its a small job, I hate doing ANYTHING twice.

Having to do a job twice gets in the way of getting to do the next job I've yet to do once.

God put me on earth to acomplish a certain number of things. Doing ANY job twice puts me behind schedule.

:D

Eviltanker
01-19-2007, 06:37 AM
Search around, you'll find a good one. I waited 6 months to buy one till I found one I liked. I ended up getting a used (In perfect shape) LTE that a guy was getting rid of.

j450rking
01-20-2007, 08:34 AM
if anybody wants to relocate there battery in there stock air box and spend about $5 then go to the how to section there is a post that tells you how:D

BigFish
01-20-2007, 09:31 AM
insane:macho

BigFish
01-20-2007, 09:33 AM
...for real though, I did have to touch up the welds (due to hairline cracks) before pc.

AbnMP13
01-20-2007, 10:24 AM
BigFish, you have your battery in the Insane airbox?

Pics are kinda hard to tell...

BigFish
01-20-2007, 12:54 PM
BigFish, you have your battery in the Insane airbox?

Pics are kinda hard to tell...

No, I ran it in there for awhile and got tired of it being a biatch to get to the filter. Plus, it was kinda cramped w/ the crankcase breather in the airbox as well. I like the battery in its stock location.

hornetgod13
01-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by BigFish
No, I ran it in there for awhile and got tired of it being a biatch to get to the filter. Plus, it was kinda cramped w/ the crankcase breather in the airbox as well. I like the battery in its stock location.

Told you AbnMP13! Can't say I didn't warn you on this one. BigFish is right.

01-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Chin_Chilla
I ready a second ago on another thread that you bought a UM airbox from Motosport.com for $164? Where did you finally purchase it from and how much. Seems like the motorsport box was cheaper?

I lied...it was CyclePartsWest, for $183 incl shipping.

AbnMP13
01-20-2007, 03:43 PM
I may still try it, I doubt if I ride ruff enuf to destroy an airbox. Who knows though. I'm still looking and the insane guy says they are making changes to the airbox and will have a slightly different design next week.

01-20-2007, 07:19 PM
I may still try it, I doubt if I ride ruff enuf to destroy an airbox. Who knows though. I'm still looking and the insane guy says they are making changes to the airbox and will have a slightly different design next week.

Translation: Our original design didn't work, and we got tired of fixing / replacing them.

There's an old, old saying (Ben Franklin, I beleive) : "Penny wise, pound foolish."

AbnMP13
01-20-2007, 08:08 PM
So you're saying that UM is still using the original only design airbox they ever made?

Or are you saying that the only good ones are more expensive?

If that's the case I hope you are riding in a Mercedes automobile because they cost more than a Chevy or Ford.

Like was stated in the thread earlier, if the first one breaks I can get a second one and still not spend as much as ONE UM costs.

Plus there is three pages of posts about aluminum airboxes in this thread and there isn't one person that has stated HE or SHE has broken an airbox regardless of brand. Everyone has HEARD that they have broken.

hornetgod13
01-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by BigFish
...for real though, I did have to touch up the welds (due to hairline cracks) before pc.

Ummmm............

Bigfish said he had hairline cracks in the welds. He owned one. That was post in this thread. I've also read it in others threads too.
Spend your money wisely. That's all I recommend.

HondaSkidoo
01-21-2007, 12:42 AM
hornetgod13 and garandman do you guys work for UM? I think both of you guys said don't buy this box a total of 10+ times in this post. I would understand if both of you guys had personal bad experiences with the box, but neither one of you have?

The way I look at it, its like a Gamble and the odds are in his favor. I keep comming back to this bost to see other peoples input and I keep wasting my time with your guys 2 cents. I think it will be fun to see what happens. If it breaks 2 times then his behind the game if it only breaks once he is even and if it never breaks like mine hasn't then he is ahead of the game.

I bought a set of Pro Taper Fat bars, and the adapters with the money I have saved. Wait I read people have bent these to. :D

Good Luck! I'm unsubscribing to this useless post.

hornetgod13
01-21-2007, 12:45 AM
hornetgod13 and garandman do you guys work for UM? I think both of you guys said don't buy this box a total of 10+ times in this post. I would undersatnd if both of you guys had personal bad experiences with the box, but neither one of you have?

I don't work for UM and as a matter of a fact, I don't own a single piece of UM gear.
We all have opinions. Yours just happens to be wrong.

01-21-2007, 03:33 AM
So you're saying that UM is still using the original only design airbox they ever made?

Or are you saying that the only good ones are more expensive?

I'm saying at best, you get what you pay for. Never more. Often, less.

If that's the case I hope you are riding in a Mercedes automobile because they cost more than a Chevy or Ford.

Toyota - not the fastest or flashiest, just one of the most reliable. They cost more, but are worth it.

Like was stated in the thread earlier, if the first one breaks I can get a second one and still not spend as much as ONE UM costs.

That is true. That is not the point, for me.

For me, I'd rather only do a job once.

Plus there is three pages of posts about aluminum airboxes in this thread and there isn't one person that has stated HE or SHE has broken an airbox regardless of brand. Everyone has HEARD that they have broken.

A wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

DO what you think is correct. For me, that means to START with the best.

:)

01-21-2007, 03:36 AM
hornetgod13 and garandman do you guys work for UM? I think both of you guys said don't buy this box a total of 10+ times in this post. I would understand if both of you guys had personal bad experiences with the box, but neither one of you have?

Life would be a truly rough ride if the only way I learned was thru my own mistakes.

I've compiled a pretty good track record of listening to the collective wisdom of others. Even on the interweb.

It works for me. That's alls I'm saying.