PDA

View Full Version : Whats Elka's deal

quad313
12-12-2006, 06:30 PM
I have set Elka of shocks that I bent the shaft on. I tried twice and another shock rebulider try once, Elka will not sell the parts to repair my shock. I dont understand it. Any help......!

QuadRacer041
12-13-2006, 04:33 AM
elka only allows certain dealers to service there shocks. try gt thunder.

quad313
12-13-2006, 05:11 AM
tried ATV Four Play In Ohio. They are an Elka dealer.

laz re-did my rear........hmmmmm, worth a try.

rob-u/21
12-13-2006, 10:44 AM
You might also want to try TCS, they do a lot of ELKA rebuilds.

kbass24emtp
12-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Give DeRisi Racing a call, Santo works on Elkas

loboboy
12-17-2006, 04:59 PM
heres a novel idea, just send them back to Elka for repair.

Some times they won't sell the replacement parts because they want to inspect the rest of the shock for damage.
They have alot of liability with shocks and don't want just any Joe Shmoe working on them.

And how in the world do you bend a shock shaft? Especially a 5/8's shaft.

gtilley45
12-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by loboboy
And how in the world do you bend a shock shaft?

It CAN be done.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid215/pb8eaff80327c40dba9159d025c204648/ecf351a6.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid215/p02e1b3678a70b5f5ed17a79bda0c5af1/ecf3519a.jpg

eganracing
12-17-2006, 05:27 PM
how?

loboboy
12-17-2006, 06:12 PM
The only way I have ever seen a Axis shock do this is if the comp knob gets set inbetween settings and it plugs the relief port in the shock and literally locks it up. Is that what happened to yours?

This just amazes me I have only seen pics of this kinda thing happening.

gtilley45
12-17-2006, 06:26 PM
I have always heard that about the compressiong knob on Axis shocks too. I always made SURE not to leave it in between settings.

The guy that does all my shock work said there were several things wrong with the shock, some of the terms he used I can't remember. He called me when he got the shock and took it apart and asked me who had been working on it. I told him I didn't know, that it hadn't been touched since I got the quad. It had been kinda harsh if you clipped the back tires on a landing and the rebound was different every time the shock compressed. So, he had been telling me that something was wrong with it but it was probably something simple. When I told him I didn't know who was the last person to work on the shock he said "Well, whoever it is doesn't need to be working on shocks anymore!! They had this one all fu(kEd up!!" One thing I remember him saying was the rebound needle was in backwards. The guy I got the quad from said he had just got the shock back from Custom Axis about 2 months before I got the quad. I don't know how true that is, just what he told me.

ugotbit
12-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by gtilley45
It CAN be done.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid215/pb8eaff80327c40dba9159d025c204648/ecf351a6.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid215/p02e1b3678a70b5f5ed17a79bda0c5af1/ecf3519a.jpg
I cry alittle every time I see that pic:eek2:

quad313
12-18-2006, 03:32 AM
My bolt broke the connects the bottom eye to the a-arm, went off a jump and there you have it.

quad313
12-18-2006, 03:35 AM
and this whole deal with them pushed my into buy a set of Fox Evol.

So in 2 weeks I'll have a set of 20 to 20-1/2 quad rate comp/rebound adj LT shocks for sale........JUST serviced........lol.

They are out to GT thunder now......and listed on this site for sale. Will be 100% ready to go when they come back.

m.h.s.c.#527
01-13-2007, 02:21 PM
just call elka for a rebuild the # is 450 655 4855

quad313
01-13-2007, 03:26 PM
I have sponsors I should be able to get this done for free. PLus they want 425.62 to fix...I'm going to put in 2 new shafts, sealed and oil...90.00 for ea shaft 55.00 a shock to service wheres the rest come from......they suck-***......I'll NEVER buy anything off them ever again

sammy5x
01-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Isn't it amazing how everyone thinks they are a rockstar and they should get everything for free?! :rolleyes:

sammy5x
01-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Remember; speed costs, how fast can your wallet go?

quad313
01-14-2007, 08:02 PM
well if you race you should know how much this cost. I bought a nice "exspensive" set of shocks....but I should be able to have them serviced by some one other than Elka. When 2 people quote me 275 and 300.00 to fix they want 450 plus frt back......just a touch out of line. 2 new shafts and seal shouldnt cost that much. whats the point of me busting my *** to get sponsors if I cant use them......just a touch of bull****.......and I'm not sure whay my wallet has to do with any of this .......I have those right so......!

my point...........why will Elka not let anyone else service these shocks isnt about the cost.....I have to have them fix..........

Ex_Rider43
01-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Youll love the evols , i made the switch too , from elites to evols. You cant compare period. I had mine redone too cause they sucked so much when I bought them you couldnt beleive it.

Youre gonna have a hard time selling the elkas tho , good luck.

quad313
01-15-2007, 12:49 PM
yeah I know......but they will be brand new......lol

bbrad mulvey
01-15-2007, 01:51 PM
See I made the switch from Elkas to Evols and now I am back on Elkas and I will stay on Elka now! See I have no problem with Elka service! They take care of me REALLY good! I bought a used pair of shocks for my LTR my first ride out I blew the seals in two of three shocks and wasnt upset just because they were used. Well the guy I bought them from kinda didnt take the BEST care of them Elka said once they got them. So I sent them in to get put back to BRAND NEW meanin. stickers, seals, spanners, new shafts in all 3 and valving. They bill was like 380ish shipped back to me! Well when I got my rear back they installed the remote canister wrong. SO I called them up and they gave me a number to give to ups, I shipped them out Friday night, I got my shock back the following Thursday WITH A BRAND NEW remote hose and the canister in the correct spot! Then they sent with it a bag of stickers too! Just next time you guys call up there just talk to Sebastien, he is the man!

But you can only please 100% of the people some of the time, some of the people 100% of the time but never 100% of the people 100% of the time ;)

quad313
01-15-2007, 02:08 PM
I guess I was harsh.......but I have ran these shocks on 2 race bikes and been "very" happy. Its not that they are NOT servicing them, they just WOULDNT let anyone else. Kind of bugged me because its costing me more money in the long haul.

They have nice shocks, Sebastien is who I talked to on the phone. I Tried twice to buy the shafts, Atv four play tried, SK racing tried and so did Laz at gt thunder. I kind of would just like to know why and no-one will tell me.

your in the same boat but my bill is over 425 plus shipping.

maybe they dont suck ***, I was just a bit mad......lol.

bbrad mulvey - you still have the sparks 13.5 - 1 for sale?

bbrad mulvey
01-15-2007, 11:50 PM
lol Ya thats funny! I do still have it(piston), just the used one though I sold the new one.

I was going to do the work myself on my shocks(just replace the seals and new fluid and what not, but Sebastien talked me out of it because he said no matter what I do I still need the right tools and know the right procedures of doing it all. Plus I didnt know that one of my shafts was bad, they found that out on the Dyno! Thats why I replaced my shafts on mine other wise I would have left them. But he said he would have sold me everything but they would be as perfect as just having them done there. Plus he gave me a cost on all the parts to do it, and the special tools required. It came to like 185 bucks minus the shafts. One thing I did notice while I was shopping around for a place to have mine rebuilt by was that when I called up Clark Jones he was going to be doing "special" things to the Elkas to make them work better by removing things that he said Elka does from the get go. I did not like the sounds of that so I opted for Elka to rebuild.

You know a lot of people dog Elka but really why? I have rode Elka Elites(current on Ltr) Elka standard LT and Elka Elite standard travel on my trx450r. I have also ran Fox Evols on the trx. I have rode on Custom Axis LT and Works. I have not rode on PEP or any of the new Companies but I LOVE the Elkas the most! Its hard for me to keep my mouth shut about the people buying Evols because I was SOOOOO disapointed with them. Maybe now since they have been out for a little bit they may be better but I still wouldnt go back to Evols if they were given to me.

Thats my .02 :D

quad313
01-16-2007, 04:54 AM
well I'll be able to pick. I'll run the Evols and see what I think. If I dont like them, Hey I have a pretty set of elka's to run.

I've always heard of people doing a bit of re-valving on their shocks but they seemed to work for me but I'm only a B rider so........anything that doesnt toss me off the quads good.