PDA

View Full Version : Jetting problem?

StupidHurts
12-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Another question i have about not having any low end? I have a few threads on here about it and im trying to narrow my problem down. I was told it could be low compression and i had a 150psi compression when i was told it should be around 210 220. but i took off the top end and it is like new. i can still see the cross marks from when it was bore over. i then thought it could be the jets. i have a 158 for a main jet and a 48 for slow jet. Factory i should have a 150 main and a 48 slow which i have. i was wonderin if the size change between them could be my problem of now bottme end power? any advise will be usefull..thanks again.....

RichM1983
12-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Your compression should not be as high as 220 unless your running a high compression piston or something like that. Over 185 and you have to run race gas. Around 150 isn't bad. Its definitely not your problem. That 158 main isn't the problem either. Thats what I'm running and its fine. The slow jet is what effects your low end and it sounds like your good with the jet you have. What kind of pipe, size tires, and gearing do you have? Is this problem something that just started or slowly developed?

StupidHurts
12-13-2006, 04:12 AM
Ok i have a FMF pipe with a paul turner silencer. the rear tires are 20's and the gearing is close to stock. its a problem i have had with this engine ever since i bought it. i bought the engine seperate from the quad. i have tried everything i can think of and i got nothing.
If the slow jet could be my problem do i have to go bigger or smaller? i have a pro design cooled head too if that makes a difference?
thanks again

86 Quad R
12-13-2006, 07:17 AM
hey stupid. what all is done to your engine? give us some specs. what porting, bore, ect ect? you mentioned you have low compression but, there are hone marks in the cylinder. you also mention you have a cool head. what cc dome is it. what size carb are you running.

i may be off here but, it sounds as tho things simply arent matched up properly to give ya the crispy throttle you should have.

StupidHurts
12-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Yes i was wold that 150psi was low? i know what there is to know about engines but i dont know that specs of a 250r. It has a light porting job on the intake with out polishing and nothing on the exhuast.and an fmf pipe with paul turner silencer..... i dont know what size the dome is it came with the quad. i am putting stock head on tho. it has v force system with the reeds set on the lowest tention. it has the stock 34 carb with a 48 slow jet and a 158 main. the bike is an 86 and i was told the engine was as well. i bought it off ebay for $600. the filter is a K&N with outerwares instead of the lid. the air mixture screw is at factory setting but i have tried it at 1 turn out. when i take the carb off i have gas everywere. on the inside of the tube from the carb to the filter is wet. i think am getting to much gas and the engine cant take it all. ihave the needle set at the 2nd notch. i am sellin the quad but i want to get it rippin before i sell it. it starts up 2nd kick and idles. I am out of ideas but im sure its something stupid i jsut cant find it. so anymore ideas would be helpful..
thanks

StupidHurts
12-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Yes i was wold that 150psi was low? i know what there is to know about engines but i dont know that specs of a 250r. It has a light porting job on the intake with out polishing and nothing on the exhuast.and an fmf pipe with paul turner silencer..... i dont know what size the dome is it came with the quad. i am putting stock head on tho. it has v force system with the reeds set on the lowest tention. it has the stock 34 carb with a 48 slow jet and a 158 main. the bike is an 86 and i was told the engine was as well. i bought it off ebay for $600. the filter is a K&N with outerwares instead of the lid. the air mixture screw is at factory setting but i have tried it at 1 turn out. when i take the carb off i have gas everywere. on the inside of the tube from the carb to the filter is wet. i think am getting to much gas and the engine cant take it all. ihave the needle set at the 2nd notch. i am sellin the quad but i want to get it rippin before i sell it. it starts up 2nd kick and idles. I am out of ideas but im sure its something stupid i jsut cant find it. so anymore ideas would be helpful..it also has a answer roost boost it that helps.....
thanks

86 Quad R
12-13-2006, 12:43 PM
try setting the float level on the carb and backing off on the pilot jet one size at a time to see if it will crisp things up a bit. when you install the oem head, use a thin gasket and recheck the compression.

another thing you may wanna look into is that the silencer isnt clogged.

StupidHurts
12-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Ok the float is right were it should be.. i will try that tho thanks again....