PDA

View Full Version : need a good pipe

christophere251
12-12-2006, 05:18 PM
I need a good mid-top end pipe. Whats everyone using and whats the best ? Ive got a krankit 265cc national kit with mid-top end port job. I have a boyesen reed cage A/S carb and uni filter and a bunch of other nick nacs. Oh yea im running an '88 bottem end with a spacer and a 86 model piston if that makes a difference.

StupidHurts
12-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Im running a fmf fatty with a paul turner silencer and it seems to pull great. i was told the lrd is amazing all around. right now my 250 has some problems with no low end power but before that it riped with that pipe set up...

Kirt13
12-12-2006, 06:22 PM
ESR Centermont.
Grab the one from FUELATV. $250.00 is a good deal.

garrettagr
12-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Look at FTZ, they look pretty cool. I have an FMF fatty with a power core silencer and i like it. Or try and ESR, they look pretty cool.

Dave83
12-12-2006, 08:01 PM
ESR trx5,LRD,or a Sparks TT

FUELATV
12-13-2006, 02:58 PM
I do still have a ESR TRX5 pipe. I am asking $250.00 for it. It comes with the pipe, silencer and biller silencer mount.

CorvetteZ06
12-13-2006, 03:19 PM
i run a fmf fatty on one of my R's, and a duncan mid range on the other. i like them both, but i prefer the fmf because it gives me a nice broad power band. Any of the bigger names will make a good product. Good Luck!!

christophere251
12-13-2006, 08:14 PM
im runnin the fmf fatty with the fmf silencer. do yall think it will be ok with that on there?

250r4life
12-13-2006, 09:05 PM
it'll be just fine

86 Quad R
12-14-2006, 06:41 AM
as much as i like the fmf fatty i would have to reccommend the ESR5 pipe with the size and port work that your engine has. you'll get more bang from it i beleive. :)

Creech52
12-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Sorry to thread jack but I noticed a couple guys saying ESR center mount...Why does it have to be center mount, is there a difference with the center mount over the stock mount, Im sure alot of it is based on the fact your eliminating the air box much like pods on a banshee but your also allowing alot more dirt and water to get at the filter.

86 Quad R
12-14-2006, 11:23 AM
the center mount is said to allow the engine to run cooler. imo if you run mx, xc or ride trails ect a center mount isnt worth it.

Creech52
12-14-2006, 11:43 AM
why would your engine run cooler, your not changing the expansion chamber, only the routing of the stinger, and removing the air box, I see no reason why it would be better then a regular TRX5 with the air box removed. I just see so many people jumping to say go with the center mount when it really is no different then the TRX5 regular mount. Im not calling anyone out just trying to learn.

Kirt13
12-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Creech52
why would your engine run cooler, your not changing the expansion chamber, only the routing of the stinger, and removing the air box, I see no reason why it would be better then a regular TRX5 with the air box removed. I just see so many people jumping to say go with the center mount when it really is no different then the TRX5 regular mount. Im not calling anyone out just trying to learn.
I don't know how much truth is to it, but ESR says that it truely cools the engine better and gives more horse power. The stinger exhaust is smaller and shorter than normal. If you measure the exhaust travel from motor to end of stinger, it is a good bid shorter than regular exhaust.

Creech52
12-15-2006, 08:47 AM
OK, but in reality the stinger doesnt have as much to do with power as the expansion chamber does. Ohwell I guess its really only a matter of riding styles, if your going to be in dry, non-dusty conditions buy the center mount, for wet, dusty, or muddy ridding go with the regular mount.

C-LEIGH RACING
12-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Kirt,
Did ESR say anything about the build of that center mount pipe being shorter.
I think if you have one to measure out & compair to the TRX5 you will get a measurement shorter than the TRX5 pipe. With that, the center mount being shorter it would favor top end output more.
On the stinger, the bigger the ID of it the cooler the exhaust temps will be & smaller it is more heat it will hold.
Lot of times, pipe builders will take the same lenght pipe build & put on a smaller ID stinger to hold heat, more heat in the exhaust temps favors top end more.
If you look at the center mount & then the TRX5 you will see the end cone is shorter & has more degree angle to it than the TRX5 end cone.

Ya'll ever see a pic of professor Einstine, if you have you know why he looks like he does, he was trying to figure out how a 2 stroke pipe works. :D :D :D :D :D :D :p :p
Neil

Kirt13
12-15-2006, 03:23 PM
It's way obvious that it's shorter. I don't have a picture of a full size to compare in a picture. You know that small pipe section between the pipe and stinger? The center mount stinger does not have this.It connects directly to the end of the pipe.
The pipe also does not reach the back of the quad. It comes short, under the seat.
I really don't know about it cooling better. My quad has an oversized radiator and my temp has never been over 150 degrees. Even when my pipe turned blue.

iamjasyn
12-15-2006, 10:15 PM
FuelATV, can you keep the tail light with the thing? If so, I'm interested in trying it out.
Thanks!
Jason

FUELATV
12-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Not too sure ..... i had a CR ignition and no lights. I know the silencer wont hit the tail light as it is way shorter then the stock silencer.

wilkin250r
12-16-2006, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Creech52
OK, but in reality the stinger doesnt have as much to do with power as the expansion chamber does.

Well, not AS MUCH as the expansion chamber, but it does indeed have a significant impact. If you ever play with 2-stroke pipe simulation software and calculations, you can get a large boost in power by using a very small stinger diameter. However, you can only go so far in real life, because (as Neil stated) the small stinger will hold more heat and cause your engine to overheat.

C-LEIGH RACING
12-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Well, not AS MUCH as the expansion chamber, but it does indeed have a significant impact. If you ever play with 2-stroke pipe simulation software and calculations, you can get a large boost in power by using a very small stinger diameter. However, you can only go so far in real life, because (as Neil stated) the small stinger will hold more heat and cause your engine to overheat.

Only thing with the heat, thats what the drag boys want. Ever hear them say, LEAN IS MEAN, I say it sure is,,, right on your bilfold.
My saying, long live the R, FAT IS WHERE ITS AT.
Neil

Inspector
12-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Christosphere251

I have 2 pipes for mid to top if interested. A nickel plated Sparks TT pipe and a Paul Turner PC-TS08 TT pipe that is natural finish. Please e-mail me for pics and more info/prices. rjracin@adelphia.net

... Randy

jas250r
12-16-2006, 03:11 PM
i've had a fmf fatty rev pipe for a while, recently tried a trx5 esr, and just bought a used sparks tt. find a sparks pipe! I can't believe how much harder my r pulls now.

iamjasyn
12-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by FUELATV
Not too sure ..... i had a CR ignition and no lights. I know the silencer wont hit the tail light as it is way shorter then the stock silencer.

Ok. Sent you a PM.
Jason

norcalduner
12-16-2006, 10:46 PM
i recently got my trx5 centermount at their new store and was told the reason why it will allow motor to run cooler is ..... the whole exhaust system design is shorter and more of a straight shot allowing the hot gasses to exit sooner and faster in velocity.

imo, they also sound a lot louder.

Kirt13
12-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by norcalduner
i recently got my trx5 centermount at their new store and was told the reason why it will allow motor to run cooler is ..... the whole exhaust system design is shorter and more of a straight shot allowing the hot gasses to exit sooner and faster in velocity.

imo, they also sound a lot louder.
This is what I was trying to say on a few threads up.

headache
12-21-2006, 05:55 PM
i'd definetly call Ftz racing and get one of their pipes. They are bad ***!!!