PDA

View Full Version : clutch problem

12-12-2006, 03:23 PM
i just changed fibers and plates in my clutch on my 400ex
i soaked the fibers in oil for about 3 hours. also put on a new cable.

here is the problem: when i press the shifter into first gear, the bike immediately jumps forward and stalls.

the cable is adjusted right and i soaked the fibers. could i have put too much tension on the springs? should they have been tightend all the way down? there is enough oil in the bike also...

i am not sure if i put the last friction disk in in a different slot as the others? could this be my problem?

250X_project
12-12-2006, 07:34 PM
There are torque settings for the spring bolts. Did you follow these?

Kaleigh
12-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad

i am not sure if i put the last friction disk in in a different slot as the others? could this be my problem?

yea that could be the problem.. take it out and check it again.. as for the spring bolts.. you tighten them all the way down nice and snug..

lpmaster
12-12-2006, 10:57 PM
sounds like adjustment to me, did you re-route the new cable the samew way the old one was?

JOEX
12-12-2006, 11:32 PM
Before taking it back apart double check the cable admjustment at both ends. I think you're supposed to adjust one end before the other...

As far as I know there are no torque specs on the clutch springs. Just tighen them in an alternating pattern till they bottom out.