PDA

View Full Version : extending the fenders on 400ex...

song4u
12-12-2006, 03:04 PM
I get so darn muddy with the stock plastic/fenders on my 400ex...they dont extend fully to cover all of the tire ..does anyone know of any aftermarket plastic that may fasten/rivet onto the stk fenders to help keep some of the mud/water off of the driver?

12-12-2006, 03:15 PM
nope...i have seen people take rubber and rivet it on to extend them...but they were girly men who wanted to be on utes more:devil:

don't even think about getting a 450r then...there fenders on it are even closer in...lots more mud gets on ya...

JPhonda
12-12-2006, 03:17 PM
no sorry iam pretty sure there isnt any. it prob wouldnt be to hard to make but its prob going to look bad. Getting muddy is just something that you have to deal with when you are riding sport quads. if its a small puddle my trick is to wheelie over it. by doing it that way you get a lot less mud on you. If its a big puddle its not a good idea to wheelie over it. trust me

400eXr1d3rZ
12-12-2006, 03:25 PM
I think Maier makes fender extensions.

BigFish
12-12-2006, 03:39 PM
buy a ute:macho

troutman561
12-12-2006, 03:45 PM
To much mud getting in your vagina?

Sorry i had to.. But anyways I have never seen extended fenders on a sport quad, good luck, prob looks like anus tho...

hoodie
12-12-2006, 03:48 PM
I agree with JPhonda, wheelie over the small ones. Bad stuff can happen if you try over a big mud puddle. If you don't want to get muddy then just don't play in it. Just my 2 cents.

blasterandy
12-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Hey man if you cut the plastics you wont get as muddy.:rolleyes:
Or you could just go get a pair of 2$ jeans and a 3$ Sweater that you buy from goodwill, and all you use them for is riding. or you can just not worry about it. :) and stop being a girl. Sry its just you can't expect to ride a sport atv and not get muddy.

skull2002
12-12-2006, 05:45 PM
when i race, i usually wear 1 of those white plastic coverall suits!!! keeps all of the mud off of you. plus people can autograph it after the race!!! a lot of times, when there is mud, i try to go around it, sometimes you have to drive thru peoples yards, or thru a drivethru at hardees, or something, but you do stay really clean. NOT!!!! :blah:

song4u
12-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by blasterandy
Hey man if you cut the plastics you wont get as muddy.:rolleyes:
Or you could just go get a pair of 2$ jeans and a 3$ Sweater that you buy from goodwill, and all you use them for is riding. or you can just not worry about it. :) and stop being a girl. Sry its just you can't expect to ride a sport atv and not get muddy.

Hey JERK...I am a female...maybe you need to stop acting like a spoiled brat.

tp300ex
12-12-2006, 06:58 PM
are u talking about the front finders?
if so u can buy a thin rubber mat and rivit it on there...and if u have nerfs try to connect them to there to prevent the thing from flapping around....

BigFish
12-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by troutman561
To much mud getting in your vagina?

Sorry i had to.. But anyways I have never seen extended fenders on a sport quad, good luck, prob looks like anus tho...

LMAO, thats like something I would say. Atleast I kept my foot out of my mouth on this one:D

jordan_m6
12-12-2006, 07:35 PM
not getting muddy while riding an atv is like riding your atv with no gas. Its just not gonna happen., unless you only ride dry conditions.

song4u
12-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by jordan_m6
not getting muddy while riding an atv is like riding your atv with no gas. Its just not gonna happen., unless you only ride dry conditions.

THERE ARE DIFFERENT DEGREES OF GETTING " MUDDY OR WET"...this isnt rocket science. A person I went riding with this weekend had a grizzly 600 atv..he barely got wet or muddy yet the rest of us were very wet and muddy and we all went thru the same trails/mud. The fenders on the 600 grizzly extended past the tires which made all the difference. The whole idea of my original question/post was if they sold aftermarket fender extensions which would help keep alot of the water and mud from flying up on the driver.

Do you got it now? Some of you people act like my 6 year old kids with your replys.

400eXr1d3rZ
12-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by song4u
The fenders on the 600 grizzly extended past the tires which made all the difference. The whole idea of my original question/post was if they sold aftermarket fender extensions which would help keep alot of the water and mud from flying up on the driver.

That's not the only reason he didn't get wet, the fenders attach to a floor board which attaches to the footpeg and to the bottom of the rear fender.

Yes they sell aftermarket extensions, read my previous post. Maier makes them.

tp300ex
12-12-2006, 08:29 PM
well MRS.
this is the ANSWER..
NO they dont sale the fenders u are looking for
and if its realy that big of a deal u shouldnt have bought a race bike!
im not and arse but come on ur trying to not get muddy one a 400ex!

song4u
12-12-2006, 08:31 PM
400ex Rd...Thank you for your sincere and civilized reply...maybe others could learn how to act on this forum from people like you. Seems like we got alot of people on this forum that think they are ATV racing stars and they get their rocks off by being a smart *** when others ask sincere questions.

Robbob91
12-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Song,

I have a Z400 and I just ordered a set of the PRM side bars, these have a full aluminum floor board. After installing them I am planning on getting some sheet aluminum and forming guards from the bars to the bottom of the front fender. I am hoping that keeps most of the water from splashing up on me. I expect to get alittle muddy, but sometimes on those wet rainy days it would be nice to stay alittle dry.

Good luck with what you do

Rob

patZ24
12-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Maier make them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/honda-400ex-maier-front-fender-mud-flaps_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43973QQihZ003QQit emZ130057072985QQrdZ1

Hope that help

12-13-2006, 09:14 AM
song -

People make a good point. The 400 EX isn't designed to have fenders that cover the wheels.

What about the suggestion to get a Ute quad? I wouldn't want a Ute, wonder if you are the same.

If you want to stay with teh EX, there's a couple things YOU can do, aside from fenders....

1. Like was said, wheelie the lil puddles.

2. Slow down thru the big puddles / mud. You can motor thru without alot of splash.

3. Use the "attack" stance. This will get your upper torso closer to the bars, which will allow the existing fenders to block mud that might get to you. The mud that gets by the fenders won't hit you.

Are you sure you wanna stick with the 400EX? Its a great bike, but it is kinda made for racing, which assumes yer OK with getting muddy.

song4u
12-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Garandman...with all due respects...

.some people do not make a good point...saying things like " is your vagina getting wet" ..or "dont be a girl" etc...perhaps you need to go back and read some of the assinine replys. The whole idea of my question was to try and get a lil less muddy/wet by using fender extensions. But some peoples egos get in the way and they have to reply with chauvanistic , childish replys.

12-13-2006, 11:58 AM

.some people do not make a good point...saying things like " is your vagina getting wet" ..or "dont be a girl" etc...perhaps you need to go back and read some of the assinine replys. The whole idea of my question was to try and get a lil less muddy/wet by using fender extensions. But some peoples egos get in the way and they have to reply with chauvanistic , childish replys.

They make a good point....they are just jerks in the WAY they make it.

Their point is this - The 400EX is IN NO WAY intended to do what your friends quad does, with the wide fenders, etc.

I'm just asking you if you are dead set on sticking with the EX.

hornetgod13
12-13-2006, 12:01 PM

Why give Garandman an attitude. He gave you some helpful advice with out any gender bias remarks?

Some people are helpful and others just want to push your buttons. Filter out what's not helpful and move on.

song4u
12-13-2006, 12:59 PM
"with all due respects" ...represents an attitude? ...

I always though it meant that a person disagrees with another perspective but in a respectful way.

tp300ex
12-13-2006, 01:17 PM
the maier add ons that people are telling u about are made for the maier plastics to make them stock length!
u could use truck mud flaps to keep the mud off of u..
but the best way is to put ur feet on ur fenders and go slow threw the mud...
hope this helps and good luck
try to calm down and u will get better answers:scary:

12-13-2006, 01:22 PM
"with all due respects" ...represents an attitude? ...

I always though it meant that a person disagrees with another perspective but in a respectful way.

I'm not sure how you are disagreeing with my perspective when I was ASKING YOU QUESTIONS.....

:confused:

gbcap
12-13-2006, 01:49 PM
wow guys and gals....take a chill pill. if someone doesn't want to get muddy on the trail they don't want to get muddy. just cause you want to show how big your penis is by being a smart arse still doesn't answer the girls question.

www.maier-mfg.com

if you search under 450r plastics you can find fender extentions for those plastics but they don't make them for 400ex's that it shows.

some people have gone to lowes and got that cheap plastic garden edger stuff. and put that on there. some guys have used that on trucks for cheap mud flaps as well.

another thing you could use is go to staples and get one of those chair matts without the lil nubbs on the bottom and cut that to extend your fenders and then zip tie or rivit that into place.

that help?

Greg

song4u
12-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Because you declared :

" people make a good point"

and I pointed out that people saying things about being a girl or their vagina is not a " good point" ...

in other words, you took the time to say people make a good point, but didnt take the time to say {in that same post} that other people are acting like idiots .

I asked a very simple question about mud flaps, and recieved several chauvanistic replys. If people dont have an answer to a question or think the question is stupid, then doesnt it make sense to not reply instead of try and irritate? Read the forum rules, it disccuses this very point in depth.

Yes Greg..that helps..thanks to you and everyone else who took the time to answer without acting like some type of ATV riding superstar that needs to be worshipped. It seems as though if I want to extend my fenders, I will have to make it out of some scrap plastic/rubber etc.

Xater
12-13-2006, 02:08 PM
moose makes universal mudgaurds that i bet you could rig up on it. :)

12-13-2006, 02:13 PM
honestly, most were joking with their answers...as was i...hence the little devil in my post...i hope i didn't offend you...

you have to take comments with a grain of salt here. anything that may sound like a joke is most likely a joke. you also have to look at most of the posting membership...all teeny boppers boys with 2 things on their mind...quads and girls...most are less mature than my 5 yr old daughter, but they still have time to grow. i just ignore them until i can't any longer and then vent

now as far as the chauvenism goes...and unfortunetely, this sounds chauvenistic, but if we know you are a woman to begin with, most of this doesn't happen. for the most part, the site treats women very fairly...hell there is even one as a moderator. she is very respected

now i am not saying you need to come on here and say...hey i am a woman and want to stay clean...no need for that.

it is simply not expected of a 400ex rider to want to stay clean. the bike was not designed that way...my wife deals with it on her 400ex and i deal with it on my 450r. i suspect this is why there are any companies that make fender extensions for the 400ex. tjere is just not a market for it. essentially you have 3 choices. they are(said with humorous sarcasm):
1. suck it up and get muddy
2. rivet something on
3. get boring and buy a grizzly

jeepcj469
12-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Hey I go riding with alot of 4x4s on my 400ex with race cut fenders and I almost never get muddy its COLD out now and I dont want to get muddy all you got to do is when you come up on the puddle i put both knees on the seat and my feet by the grab bar then i dont hit puddles at top speed. alot of us do this and mostly never get very muddy. and thats with almost nop fenders.
hope that helps a little freezing cold and mud dont mix IMO:D

trx400EXtreme
12-13-2006, 06:06 PM
i gotta say it.... i had alot of fun reading all those replies.

troutman561
12-13-2006, 06:39 PM
Well, the reason you got most replies as you got them is because no one knew you where not a guy. Because if you were a guy asking to not get muddy on a sport quad, my reply of "dont wanna get mud in your vagina" #1 was said jokingly, #2 would have been ok to a guy as a joke because I would make fun of any of my guy friends for wanting mud flaps on their 400ex or w/e... But see now i know your a girl and i feel kind of bad i said that..one one-thousand..two one-thousand.... ok im over it.. but seriously it was a joke, stop getting angry at people, if you cant take a joke dont deal with human beings with a sense of humor, no matter how twisted, sarcastic or w/e it is...

12-13-2006, 07:21 PM
[B]Because you declared :

" people make a good point"

and I pointed out that people saying things about being a girl or their vagina is not a " good point" ...

in other words, you took the time to say people make a good point, but didnt take the time to say {in that same post} that other people are acting like idiots .

]

No I said...

People make a good point. The 400 EX isn't designed to have fenders that cover the wheels.

....meaing that they are making a good point about the 400EX not being designed for mudflaps, and maybe you should consider a different quad.

Look - if you don't want peoples advice, go somewhere where people will tell you exactly what you want to hear.

Its not my job to validate you and "defend your honor" or whatever.

The person who made the comment has apologized. I HAVE said the comment was inapproriate.

You need to either toughen up a little, or something. Heck - I've had people make that comment to me. I don't get all offended.

Yes, its the internet. Yes, people can be jerks. This is news?

Hope you found the answer you were looking for. (You still haven't answered my questions - never mind)

hoodie
12-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by troutman561
Well, the reason you got most replies as you got them is because no one knew you where not a guy. Because if you were a guy asking to not get muddy on a sport quad, my reply of "dont wanna get mud in your vagina" #1 was said jokingly, #2 would have been ok to a guy as a joke because I would make fun of any of my guy friends for wanting mud flaps on their 400ex or w/e... But see now i know your a girl and i feel kind of bad i said that..one one-thousand..two one-thousand.... ok im over it.. but seriously it was a joke, stop getting angry at people, if you cant take a joke dont deal with human beings with a sense of humor, no matter how twisted, sarcastic or w/e it is...

I have to agree no one knew you were a girl when you first posted this topic.

blasterandy
12-14-2006, 06:16 PM
:( I am sorry if that is any compensation. I am not trying to be a spoiled brat as you phrased it. And by the way thats what i ride in. Yes, I admit I was acting like a d1ck. I can understand your problem, but most of the people on hear are going to laugh that you want to stay clean however. They make this stuff called nomex its a fire retardent suit but is made of this stuff that is almost like denim and wont stain. If you know someone who works at a chem plant or likewise they could likely get you one for free. I don't know if this will work but maybe a paint bib. I wouldn't try to extend the fenders. Just protect yourself better with old clothes, and when you go riding if people are all nice an clean and your dirty. Then think of it this way your riding harder than them and you can wear the mud as a badge of 4ukc yall i ride harder than you. :D Sorry about being a dick.;)

Robbob91
12-14-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by hoodie
I have to agree no one knew you were a girl when you first posted this topic.

Should that matter how you treat someone new on a board. Slamming someone who is pretty new to the board is a good way to drive them away. I know that if my first few posts were responded to that way I would have to think twice about coming back on to the board and asking for advice.

Besides what is wrong with adapting a quad that you own and enjoy riding to make it more pleasurable to you. If someone likes to jump and climb hills and throw the back end around but wants to stay alittle cleaner doing it I don't see a problem modifiying a 400ex to do so.

It seems common courtesy runs thin when you are typing a message across the country compared to when you are standing close enough to be slapped up side the head.

Can't we all just get along...

Rob

wow am I going to get burned for this, but thats ok I can take it

blasterandy
12-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Actually I agree with you Rob. Attitudes seems to change when there is 100-160lb of person standing next to you than a few bytes of info on a page. :cool: And I for got to post this before I think pro armor makes nerfs that are like foot boards. This may help to keep some mud off. Most people on this board won't make any lude comments to a woman... "If they know its a woman I know I didn't" and will be as helpful as possible. :D
Lil Horn dogs:eek: :devil:
And if you do have a husband/boyfriend tell him that he has a vagina and he will most likely smile and laugh.

Robbob91
12-14-2006, 06:41 PM
PRM makes a set I know of for sure. I just ordered a set for my Z( more for protection, I just shattered my knee on labor day)

anyway here is the link

http://prm-atv.com/MN.asp?pg=products&specific=1182&from=47&mfr=2

http://prm-atv.com/img/products/400EX%20SIDEBARS%20BIG%20copy.jpg

Maybe that is something you can use Song. I plan on taking a piece of aluminum and attaching it to the bottom of the fender and extending it to the front of the side bar.

Rob

240 pounds of whoop a**

blasterandy
12-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Yea thats what I was talking about. I just like the look of the nerf bars better.

QuadJunkies
12-15-2006, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by blasterandy
And if you do have a husband/boyfriend tell him that he has a vagina and he will most likely smile and laugh.

thats MANGINA.....Get it right!:o :blah:

lets not talk no more Giney talk folks ;)

I think she got her answer .I agree with Robbob91 on this one .

skull2002
12-15-2006, 12:42 AM
amen

blasterandy
12-15-2006, 12:02 PM
samer here

bansheemorphine
12-16-2006, 11:30 AM
the thing robbob91 is talking about could help you out alot if you simply attached plastic or rubber from the floorboard to the fender would help a great deal as for fender extentions i think your out of luck you would likly have to rig something up yourself just use your imagination and think of something