PDA

View Full Version : How to change clutch plates and springs

interceptorz28
12-12-2006, 09:44 AM
I am about to get a new set of Honda plates with Barnett HD springs. I dont want to drop 30 bucks on a clymer manual.
So, if anyone already has one or could explain, it would be greatly appreciated. The plates sound easy enough, but I dont know if a special tool is needed to change the springs.

1fst400
12-14-2006, 11:33 AM
If your diecent with tools its not bad at all.

you need a gasket for the right side case cover.

-Tip the quad up about 1 foot on its left side.
-Take the brake petal off.
-take the clutch cable off.
-take the oil filter out. Take note to wich way it is installed
-take out all the bolts that hold the right side case cover on
-take the case cover off.
-As soon as cover is off take not to how clutch disingage linkage works, its not tricky but can be if you loose a part of it.
-there are like 5 or so 10mm bolts on the clutch, take them out
-take the springs out and the presure plate off
-take note to which pattern the plates/fibers use. (what it starts and finishes with)
-Make shure your new fibers have been soaking in oil for a hour or so.
-intall new fibers and steels
-install presure plate
-install spings and 10mm bolts, not to tight, they strip easy
-put the clutch cover back on with new gasket. Getting the linkage in place can be tricky. but I can do it with my eyes closed.
-once cover is on test clutch linkage.
-put oil filter back in, carefull them bolts snap and strip easy.
-put brake petal back on
-Hook clutch cable back up.
DONE.

you dont have to take the break petal off. it just makes it easier ot get the cover off.

soda7o
12-14-2006, 02:21 PM
any torque specs go with that?

86 Quad R
12-14-2006, 02:30 PM
whats 30 bux for a manual ? :p

1fst400
12-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by soda7o
any torque specs go with that?

I think the case cover bolts call for 8ft lbs and the clutch presure plate are 10lbs or so. But they always strip or snap on me when I torque them, and I have a snap on torque wrench that is prety damn accurate.

I just use a short 1/4 inch drive ratchet to snug things up.

interceptorz28
12-15-2006, 06:09 AM
1st400, Thank you for the info.

86 quad r, Money is tight for some of us. Why dont you buy me one since its so cheap. Yes it may be inexpensive, but I have plenty of other things to buy, being as its the holiday season and I will have to drop $500 on my girlfriend + other family members gifts.

250X_project
12-15-2006, 09:07 PM
good info the only thing he missed is to offset the last fiber. I hear this is a big thing with the 400EX clutch. The springs really should be torqued though. If not correctly torqued the clutch may not engaged or disengage completely.

1fst400
12-15-2006, 09:38 PM
The spring bolts dont need to be torqued any more than your handle bar boolts. They bottom out on the inner clutch hub, just like any other bolt tightens up. If they are to tight they strip. if they are too loose then you dident tighten them at all, it just takes a smig and they are good.

Offset the last clutch fiber? what? I know a 400ex motor prety good, Definetly far from the best. I have made my shair of mistakes. Never herd of any ofset fiber nonscence.

Dont sweat not buying a manual. I finaly broke doun and bought one when I installed a hot rods crank. First time seeing a tranny kinda scared me.

jeremy_283
12-15-2006, 10:38 PM
search my posts............. like a 1 year ago i posted pictures of the service manual with all that info in it

interceptorz28
12-16-2006, 05:27 AM
Yes, I remember seeing something elsewhere about offsetting the last plate. Whatever it looks like when I take it apart will be the same way I put it back. I will see about that last plate when I take the cover off.

extremejrowe, I found the post, perfect! thanks man.

Thanks guys.

250X_project
12-16-2006, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by 1fst400
The spring bolts dont need to be torqued any more than your handle bar boolts. They bottom out on the inner clutch hub, just like any other bolt tightens up. If they are to tight they strip. if they are too loose then you dident tighten them at all, it just takes a smig and they are good..

Sorry I need to stop doing that...... My head is always in a 250X/300EX... Torquing makes a big difference there.

Although I do know that the last fiber being offset is not "nonsense"....unless you don't mind clutch slippage

†2005 400ex†
12-16-2006, 08:20 AM
I have heard about the offset too, and once you do get the money, i do recommend buying the Clymer service manual, it will just save you a lot of headaches in the future.

400exrider707
12-16-2006, 12:28 PM
If you ever took that side of the case off at least once you would know exactly what is meant by offsetting the last plate, a lot of motors are like this, I know the Z 400s are also like this. The clutch basket has all of the fingers, and the plates slide in between the fingers, however the last one to go on actually goes on the end of the fingers where there is a notch cut out. Take it apart, you will see.

Old Head
12-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Hmm do I smell a x-mas present?:huh

1fst400
12-16-2006, 08:15 PM
OOOOO, I had a hinson basket. no ofset last plate. Durr.

250X_project
12-17-2006, 06:29 AM
Oh, okay. I didn't know Hinson made them like that.