PDA

View Full Version : steering locks when you turn to far left or right

sunco
12-12-2006, 05:14 AM
Whats w/ that? How do I fix it? It seem when you lift the front end that it locks onto the framing or something. How do you stop the sterring from going to far over?

bwamos
12-12-2006, 07:02 AM
I hate that on the 300. You can have a couple 1/4" shims welded onto the end of the stops on the steering stem to make it stop a bit sooner.

sunco
12-12-2006, 08:33 AM
Thank you

Trevor
12-12-2006, 09:45 AM
I never had this problem is it only with lt front ends?

300exOH
12-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Trevor
I never had this problem is it only with lt front ends?

From what I'm told this is common on 250x/300ex's with stock or aftermarket front ends. Mine doesn't do it either. Maybe we were lucky.:ermm:

bwamos
12-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Aye it's a common issue. Stock.

If you turn all the way to the left or right.. the nut from tie rod ball joint will hit the arm. If you have the suspension compressed a significant amount while turning left.. it will turn past the a-arm and the nut will be on the inside of the arm. Once the suspension uncompresses.. you're stuck with the steering pointing left.

Usually happens when coming down an incline.. transitioning into flat compressing slowly while turning sharply.

Not fun.. lol.

dabomb_350x
03-30-2007, 04:34 PM
I have never had this happen on either of my 300's, I never seen the nut go past the indention on the a arm.

DJR300ex
03-30-2007, 06:43 PM
mine does it too. couldnt i just turn the tie rod upside down to where the nut is facing up?

Cody_300ex
03-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
Aye it's a common issue. Stock.

If you turn all the way to the left or right.. the nut from tie rod ball joint will hit the arm. If you have the suspension compressed a significant amount while turning left.. it will turn past the a-arm and the nut will be on the inside of the arm. Once the suspension uncompresses.. you're stuck with the steering pointing left.

Usually happens when coming down an incline.. transitioning into flat compressing slowly while turning sharply.

Not fun.. lol.

Sounds like your also talking from experince. I had that problem with my stock 300ex front end also, but once I put a aftermarket front end on it I never had it happen to me again...