PDA

View Full Version : 416ex vs Stock Raptor

raptor_02
09-17-2002, 02:26 PM
Could an ex with an je416 kit and an xr400 cam take a stock raptor in a drag race. Please post if you have mods and dragged stock raptors.

redrider ex
09-17-2002, 02:34 PM
because a friend of mine ask's me the same question all the time

ChadEXer
09-18-2002, 08:19 AM
With my old 416 I beat Raptors all the time, even a few piped and jetted Raptors!!

09-18-2002, 09:00 AM
It's gonna be close,,it depends on your gearing and the riders..

JabberJaw
09-18-2002, 09:20 AM
Hey Rico,

Speaking about 'gearing'.....

I have been riding at the dunes alot. I have tried all types of tires, tire sizes, gears and what not. After my first upgrade to a 440, I had 20" turbo haulers with 15x41 gears. I was able to hang dead even with my brothers raptor.

Now that I have done my second upgrade, 450 and all the other motor work, i.e. compression, oversized valves, springs and all that good stuff... I have not had a chance to ride it at the dunes, but in the dirt it feals like I am going to need to go back to my stock gearing 15x38... The power is awesome, but I keep trying to shift to another gear because 5th is so strong now... do you think with the power, I will loose anything going to the 38t sprocket from the 41t? or will I just get some more speed....

I seam to have power in reserve and the gears are holding me back since I have to shift through them so quickly...

09-18-2002, 09:24 AM
Sounds like you got plenty of arse to turn any gears you want,,I'd drop back to stock gearing...I really don't know what to tell you since I've never rode in sand and don't know how it feels against the motor???

airheadedduner
09-18-2002, 09:36 AM
Definatly gear up Jabber. If adding another tooth on the front is not quite enough you can also drop a couple teeth on the back. I prefer to drop teeth on the back fo the sand cause you gain ground clearence for going over razorbacks. Keep a close eye on your clutch, taller gearing and all that power is definatly adding a lot of stress to it.

lil400exman
09-18-2002, 10:25 AM
jabber let me just tell you u need to race my trx125 or just race lt 125 we have the fastest quads in the us here we race against turbo shees and everyhting its no comparison its just that people think that these quads pack nuthin casue they ar small but i beat a raptor 770 kit with a turbo hi r cam widend front tall gearing with the turbo at 14 1/2 psi i still beat it like it was a stock 400ex:eek: lol

JabberJaw
09-18-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
Definatly gear up Jabber. If adding another tooth on the front is not quite enough you can also drop a couple teeth on the back. I prefer to drop teeth on the back fo the sand cause you gain ground clearence for going over razorbacks. Keep a close eye on your clutch, taller gearing and all that power is definatly adding a lot of stress to it.

I had the clutch upgraded too, heavy duty pads, springs and stuff...

So far I have spent $9400.00 on my bike (including purchase price) so it should kick some butt. Can't wait to try it this weekend at Florence, Oregon.

airheadedduner
09-18-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by JabberJaw

I had the clutch upgraded too, heavy duty pads, springs and stuff...

So far I have spent $9400.00 on my bike (including purchase price) so it should kick some butt. Can't wait to try it this weekend at Florence, Oregon.

To bad my R motor died, I wouldn't mind riding a little more. Was at winchester bay monday, it turned out okay though we did get a little wet.

out4sand
09-18-2002, 03:31 PM
Hey Jabber -

When are you heading down to ride the dunes again? I'd like to see your 400 go, sounds like a mean machine.

We are planning on heading to Coos Bay the weekend of the 28th as long as the weather is looking alright.

www.out4sand.com

JabberJaw
09-18-2002, 04:31 PM
Going saturday the 21st to Florence, and probably the 28th, 29th also.

Leo
09-18-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by raptor_02
Could an ex with an je416 kit and an xr400 cam take a stock raptor in a drag race. Please post if you have mods and dragged stock raptors.

depends how far your dragging..

the last time I hit the drags I was beating most of the stock/piped raptors there by at least a 1/2 a quad length _but_ If had been a longer distance there higher top speed would have been a factor and they would have gone by.. (it was a 300 yd track w/ lights..)

My buddy has a full yoshi exhaust, and he's geared down a bit, and he usually get's me by about 1/2 a quad or so, then we run pretty much even (because he's gearded down a bit)..

I've got a 440 kit (HIGH comp), more aggresive cam, and FCR in my future to put him in his place :D

Leo

LilGuyOn400ex
09-18-2002, 07:38 PM
i raced a raptor in about 250 yards and i would beat him no matter what... we even switched quads and same results but if we went any farther i think hed get me on top end

ridered86
09-18-2002, 07:47 PM
i dragged a couple of rm125s and beat them in a 200 yard drag by like 1-2 bike lengths but anything more they just take me in top end.
they arent raptors but i beat em:D

raptor_02
09-18-2002, 08:20 PM
Well I just got like 950 bucks left over from finicial aid after college tuition. I'm debating on souping the **** out of my quad or paying about 7 quad payments.