PDA

View Full Version : Starter / battery woes?

2848crv
12-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Searched for an answer, but found none... Our 2003 400EX (recently purchased) has starting / battery problems. If it doesn't start immediately, the starter cranks slower and slower. I replaced the battery, no difference. All cables check OK, as in full voltage gets to the solenoid, and out of it. I removed the starter motor and cleaned it, there was a fair amount of black gunk in it. I'm a marginally skilled mechanic, and certainly not an electrics guy. It then started right up, and did well for one outing, but this weekend it did fine one day, and wouldn't start the second day. It acts like there is something binding the starting / cranking process. Doesn't take more than three or four tries to wear the battery down. At $285 for a new starter, I would really rather fix whatever is wrong without buying a new one. Especially if it is something other than the starter motor... When it does start, it runs great.

Any suggestions? By the way, my neighbor has an identical 400Ex that I can borrow parts from to troubleshoot mine.

Thanks!

Ed

jrafter
12-12-2006, 12:03 AM
www.servicehonda.com they might have what you need to rebuild it

jrafter
12-12-2006, 12:07 AM
or you can get a rebuilt 1 for $119 www.mfgsupply.com

vze2hnvz
12-12-2006, 06:06 AM
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=400ex+starter

Gotta love ebay......

bansheemorphine
12-12-2006, 09:07 AM
it could be the starter clutch i think it is called it engages the starter and is down inside the left case these screw up alot with high comp pistons

johnsls
12-12-2006, 09:33 AM
IF you do need a starter,, I've bought some stuff from GDH racing with no problems. I have an 02' and have no problems with mine. - Item number: 160060663227

If the starter was bad,, it wouldn't start it would it? Bad is bad right?
I'm not a mechanic but how long are you holding the starter button?,,, Also don't think this is soo stupid,, but make sure the yellow on/off switch on the handle bars is ON.
You'd be surprised

honda250xman
12-12-2006, 04:26 PM
check your regulator.. mine did the same thing sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldnt.. so maybe its the same thing plus its a pretty cheap fix

2848crv
12-12-2006, 10:50 PM
"Borrowed" neighbors 400EX tonite and will proceed to swap parts tomorrow in search of the solution...

Predatorguy88
12-13-2006, 09:18 AM
Check your starter clutch. I had problems with mine on the Predator.

12-13-2006, 09:44 AM
first of all, does it have an after market cdi?

if so get rid of that...it will prevent the spark plug from firing if the roms don't reach a certain level. that level is just below the starting rpms of the 400ex! if the plug don't fire, the battery drains quickly...i killed 2 batteries in a matter of hours before i learnd this little tidbit...

jrafter
12-13-2006, 09:51 AM
i cant add much to help with your problem but i do know after almost a year of owning my 400EX im still learning to start it.

I wish i had fuel injection......chokes suck.

I dont know about other people but i seem to be replacing my plug ever 10hrs or so.

johnsls
12-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by jrafter
i cant add much to help with your problem but i do know after almost a year of owning my 400EX im still learning to start it.

I wish i had fuel injection......chokes suck.

I dont know about other people but i seem to be replacing my plug ever 10hrs or so.

Jet your carb properly and it will probally resolve your starting issues.. Granted I have a slipon, stage II, piston kit,, but I dont ever use my choke.

miller 55
12-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Okay to help this guy out with his problem, I had the same kinda trouble, but all mine was, It didnt want to start like he said after a while it seemed like the battery was goin bad, but then I realized that I was messin with my idoling and that was my problem havent had a problem since, so if you adjust that it might help, wish ya the best of luck.

2848crv
12-14-2006, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Turns out the new battery was bad. It would only hold a surface charge, not a core charge, hence slow cranking under starter load.