PDA

View Full Version : Government hides global warming facts.

Rider-trx_250ex
12-11-2006, 08:38 PM
On 60 minutes last year a scientist did a study on global warming for the government and his work showed that in 10 years the effects of global warming will be irreversable. Now that was last year so in 9 years. Now once that hole gets so big in 9 years there is nothing we can do. But the effects canned be stopped now with preventive measures. With Bush hearing of this he coveverd it up and the scientist went to the public with the information. On the interview with 60 minutes the scientist had to have a man from the government there with him so he did not say too much. If he says too much he will lose his job and everything. IMO Bush is covering it up because of his oil. He may be taking preventive measures but I've not heard of Bush pushing for something towards global warming to this day yet. Now it has not snowed more than 1 inch here in SW PA and that only happened once and it melted a day later. It is not even cold outside. I've had my quad for 3 years and I've never got to ride it in the snow yet.

CDCHONDAS
12-11-2006, 08:43 PM
this will end badly...

1fst400
12-11-2006, 08:46 PM
This is definetly a warm year for me up in NH. There is usually a good 18 inches of ice on the lake by now. This year the lakes areent event fozent yet. Heck it was 45-F out yesterday.

ShiftFMX
12-11-2006, 09:02 PM
It was 45 here in MI today. Stuff is still pretty much frozen from last week though

CDCHONDAS
12-11-2006, 09:07 PM
wonder if this was a concern in the ice age. my deal is what it would require across the WORLD to make a major difference alot of people would probably say piss on that. maybe i am ignorant but if you are a slightest bit oriented in christian beliefs you know there is a beginning and an end. hmm might get flamed. oh well

troutman561
12-11-2006, 09:10 PM
The reason it is a warmer year is because of el nino(if you dont know what this is research it), which makes the northern areas wetter and warmer and some souther areas of the country colder(we got snow in florida thanksgiving week). El nino is also why we had a slow hurricane season thankfully..... But the global warming thing has happend before. Right now on the planet there is 385 ppm(parts per million) of CO2 in the atmosphere, increasing 1-3 parts per year. There is evidence(thru core samples from deep ice in the polar ice caps) that the ppm of CO2 has been 1000-2000 before. Now there is no doubt we have caused an increased rise in it because of the burning of fossil fuels, but it has happend before... Supposedly once the ppm hits 1000-2000 the climate will begin to change drasticly, but this is theory, and we will have to deal with world over-population before this happens...

Fred55
12-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Warming and cooling trends happen in nature, we are in a warming trend, when it gets too warm, ice melts and the the level of fresh water in the ocean rises. once they level of fresh water gets so high, the oceanic current that carries warm water from the equator north is disrupted. when that happens, a cooling effect happens, i.e. ice age. during the cool period the ice freezes again and the oceanic current starts again and starts to bring warm water north and therefore warms the world. its just a huge cycle.

honduh440
12-11-2006, 09:15 PM
i dont follow all the madness that much but i live in kansas and have had many summers that were extremely hot but this year we had like 4 consecutive days that were 114-116 degrees with 85%+ humidity and it was horrible. the freakin birds were sweating

Rider-trx_250ex
12-11-2006, 09:22 PM
I believe you guys know what you are talking about but what about the hole in the atomsphere? I mean we need that so the to protect us from the sun.

Fred55
12-11-2006, 09:23 PM
theres facts out there that say its stopped getting bigger and has actually gotten smaller for a few years now

Quad18star
12-11-2006, 09:36 PM
If you're really interested in this kind of stuff , do a google search for David Suzuki . He's a famous Canadian scientist that studies the environment .... and this guy knows his stuff .

Now here's my take on Global Warming . We ( society) need to take drastic measures to stop it . There is so much C02 in our atmosphere that we are cooking ourselves . I read somewhere that since the start of the industrial era , the amount of C02 in our atmosphere is approximatly 30% more . That's a lot in a short periode of time . The planet's heat isn't being allowed to escape , so we're cooking .

For every degree the earth warms up , we're losing countless species of plants and animals , as well as precious ice from the ice caps .

Also it's affecting the weather in ways never before seen . It's December and I can see the grass on my lawn .... that's just not right . This time of year we should have 4 feet of snow and be bundled up in our snow suits ..... not out in thin spring jackets . Places that shouldn't get snow , are getting more snow than they could ever imagine . Just look at Vancouver 2 weeks ago .... 3 feet of snow and temps in the -40's ..... something that is unheard of for Vancouver . :huh

wilkin250r
12-12-2006, 02:42 AM
Let me tell you a little story about science.

Many years ago, a psycologist published a book on how to "condition" your newborn infant to sleep through the night. This psycologist used proven training methods, encourage positive behavior and discourage negative behavior. If the child DOES wake up in the middle of the night, attend to basic needs like hygiene, but do not soothe because that would be reinforcing and encouraging the negative behavior.

This screwed thousands of kids up. Being so young in their development, they needed to form a basic cause-effect relationship with the world around them, such simple relationships such as "when hungry, you cry, when you cry, you get fed", a relationship that each and every human being had formed for thousands of years. But here the lesson was inconsistent, therefore it never sank in. How many ways does a newborn need to communicate with the world? Not many, and here was a big one gone wrong. The lesson the newborns eventually learned was that they cannot trust the outside environment (their parents) to attend to their basic needs.

What's the moral of the story? Science isn't always right.

wilkin250r
12-12-2006, 03:09 AM
Environmental science is still a fairly young science. Anyone remember the consequences of the "preservation" attempts at Yosemite? By putting out all the forest fires, they let the ground cover accumulate, ground cover that would normally be burnt off, but the fire wouldn't burn big and hot enough to ignite the trees.

But now that the ground cover accumulated, when a fire started that they couldn't put out, it burned bigger and hotter, large enough to ignite the trees, and hundreds of thousands of acres of forest were destroyed. In our attempts to preserve the forest, we achieved exactly the opposite and destroyed it.

Look at a picture of the earth from space. It's pretty big, in reality. Do you even SEE people from space? Sure, cars and factories can create smog in local areas, but I have yet to see it reach across an entire state. But get a satallite photo of a volcano eruption or a large forest fire, and you can see that pollution stretch hundreds and hundreds of miles.

Do you honestly think that humans are that significant? Aside from nuclear explosions, our effect on the earth is much less than what the earth inflicts upon itself. I have serious trouble believing there is ANYTHING that we humans can/will do in the next 10 years that will be "irreversable". 10 years is nothing. Mother Nature has gone through much bigger cycles in the last several million years than anything we can produce in 10 measly years.

Pappy
12-12-2006, 05:40 AM
there is to much money being made with regards to global warming. when dealing with humans, always follow the money.

JJs450r
12-12-2006, 06:01 AM
haha how you guys gettin the nice wheather im in nc and gettin crapped on with the 32 below lol

12-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
there is to much money being made with regards to global warming. when dealing with humans, always follow the money.

Bingo.

No science grants are awarded to people who say "Everything is fine. Carry on."

To get the grant money, you gotta predict doom.

To keep the grant money flowing, you gotta make your findings meet your predictions.

Prostitution is a more honorable profession than science grants.

At least SOMEONE gets something valuable out of prostitution.

bwamos
12-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Rider-trx_250ex
On 60 minutes last year a scientist did a study on global warming for the government and his work showed that in 10 years the effects of global warming will be irreversable. Now that was last year so in 9 years. Now once that hole gets so big in 9 years there is nothing we can do. But the effects canned be stopped now with preventive measures. With Bush hearing of this he coveverd it up and the scientist went to the public with the information. On the interview with 60 minutes the scientist had to have a man from the government there with him so he did not say too much. If he says too much he will lose his job and everything. IMO Bush is covering it up because of his oil. He may be taking preventive measures but I've not heard of Bush pushing for something towards global warming to this day yet. Now it has not snowed more than 1 inch here in SW PA and that only happened once and it melted a day later. It is not even cold outside. I've had my quad for 3 years and I've never got to ride it in the snow yet.

The quacks that spout this stuff muddle the facts.

Ocean temperatures have rissen x amount over the last 100 years. Umm.. 1st compare the quality of the thermometers in 1906 vs. today. 2nd how many thermometers do you think they had in the oceans in 1906??? They are using mathmatical models written by people that want to prove long term global warming effects based on short term data. aka.. puling biased data out of their butts.

Facts:
CO2 is a greenhouse gas that will increase global temperatures slightly.

However they also in the same sentence spout off about the thinning of the ozone layer, or a hole in the ozone layer.

The Ozone layer IS the greenhouse. A ruduction in the ozone layer will cause a cooling of the planet, not a heating.

At the same time we are putting CO2 into the atmosphere we're also putting out sulfate aerosols which cool the earth, and disturbances in dry land create mineral aerosols that cool the earth.

If you follow the "facts".. you will notice that if you check with the Harvard-Smithsonian observatory you will find out that the "global warming" matches up nearly perfectly with the variable heat output patterns of the sun.

What about volcanic eruptions. Mount Pinatubo's eruption in the Philipines in 1991 put out more pollutants into the air than all the automobiles ever built and driven up to the point of it's eruption. And that's a single vocanic eruption from a single volacano.

Also remember a couple decades ago (1980's) these were the same people that said we were heading into an ice age.

Speaking of Ice ages.. follow the history of the ice ages..

The cycle of the planet has ice ages occuring about every 100,000 years. The last ice age ocurred about 10,000 years ago.

So simple logic will tell according to the natural cycle and the data collected from antartic core smaples.. the planet will continue to warm fro a while before it begins to cool for the next cycle.

350,000 years ago.. there was 11% more CO2 in the enviroment that there is today, according to the antartic core smaples.

procircuit406ex
12-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Man its been 60 for the last 2 days:ermm:

NorCalRacer
12-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Global warming is just another word for global whining. In CA it's a nutbag every ten feet:rolleyes:

sly400ex
12-12-2006, 10:46 AM
You guys have me scared now, I'm going to go hide in my bomb shelter now!:chinese:

troutman561
12-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Everyone needs to stop blaming the different warmer or colder than usual conditions this year on global warming, as stated in my previous post, it is because el nino, search it on google, they give a map and explain the differences in the climate in all areas of the planet during el nino conditions.... And then the post of the ozone layer, that has very little to do with the earth warming, it is mostly just a part of the atmosphere that filters the UV and other harmful radiation from reaching the planets surface... Also ozone is O3 gas(the oxygen we breath is 02) no carbon atoms in it, which is why CO2 holds in heat...

aaronqjones
12-12-2006, 11:47 AM
I took 2 ****s today but only one yesterday it is directly linked to a woman in alabama using aquanet before she goes out on the town.

RidinRed420
12-12-2006, 12:23 PM
hm... I really don't feel like reading what you all have to say about this.. But if you are really interested in it there is a book "The End of Nature" by Bill Mckibben (not sure if that is the correct spelling) but I had to read it for my Living World class this semester.. It was fairly interesting, I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it.. Just it is an interesting and well written book on the subject.. It was also a really easy read.

ridered11
12-12-2006, 12:29 PM
something wrong in the world...................blame the president

some people are idiots

you can't blame everything on the president

Quad18star
12-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
The quacks that spout this stuff muddle the facts.

Ocean temperatures have rissen x amount over the last 100 years. Umm.. 1st compare the quality of the thermometers in 1906 vs. today. 2nd how many thermometers do you think they had in the oceans in 1906??? They are using mathmatical models written by people that want to prove long term global warming effects based on short term data. aka.. puling biased data out of their butts.

Facts:
CO2 is a greenhouse gas that will increase global temperatures slightly.

However they also in the same sentence spout off about the thinning of the ozone layer, or a hole in the ozone layer.

The Ozone layer IS the greenhouse. A ruduction in the ozone layer will cause a cooling of the planet, not a heating.

At the same time we are putting CO2 into the atmosphere we're also putting out sulfate aerosols which cool the earth, and disturbances in dry land create mineral aerosols that cool the earth.

If you follow the "facts".. you will notice that if you check with the Harvard-Smithsonian observatory you will find out that the "global warming" matches up nearly perfectly with the variable heat output patterns of the sun.

What about volcanic eruptions. Mount Pinatubo's eruption in the Philipines in 1991 put out more pollutants into the air than all the automobiles ever built and driven up to the point of it's eruption. And that's a single vocanic eruption from a single volacano.

Also remember a couple decades ago (1980's) these were the same people that said we were heading into an ice age.

Speaking of Ice ages.. follow the history of the ice ages..

The cycle of the planet has ice ages occuring about every 100,000 years. The last ice age ocurred about 10,000 years ago.

So simple logic will tell according to the natural cycle and the data collected from antartic core smaples.. the planet will continue to warm fro a while before it begins to cool for the next cycle.

350,000 years ago.. there was 11% more CO2 in the enviroment that there is today, according to the antartic core smaples.

The ozone layer helps protect the earth by filtering UV rays emitted by the sun ... the same UV rays that are known to cause skin cancer amoung many other illnesses . The same UV rays that you're exposed to when you go lay in a tanning bed . A hole in the Ozone layer may help heat escape , but it doesn't do a hell of a lot when pollution traps heat in .

So whats causing the ozone depletion ? Chemicals that are man-made .. chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) ... stuff that are used to make insulation , in refrigeration systems and cleaning solvents . It can take years for the CFCs to reach the stratosphere . When they do , they react with UV radiation which causes them to break apart into chlorine atoms which then attack the Ozone Layer . 1 chlorine atom can break down 100 000 ozone layer molecules .

So then it's argued that a volcanoe eruption emits chlorine which should deplete the ozone .... but that isn't true . The chlorine emitted by a volcanoe is easily dissolved in water , so when it rains , it dissapears . But man made chlorines do not dissolve , therefore they are able to reach the ozone and deplete it .

So in the end , theres a big hole in the Ozone layer which is allowing harmful UV rays to reach us and there's pollutants which is trapping in the heat and warming the earth up .... and most of which is created and preventable by humans . :ermm:

Pappy
12-12-2006, 01:28 PM
thats it, im moving up north with greg:devil:

PismoLocal
12-12-2006, 01:42 PM
I was skeptical of the whole global warming thing, the comparison shots of the polar ice caps are pretty convincing though.

derekhonda
12-12-2006, 02:29 PM
"the sky is falling the sky is falling"

...shut up chicken little

Ghost-Rider
12-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by ridered11
something wrong in the world...................blame the president

some people are idiots

you can't blame everything on the president
Amen to that, so tired of ignorant people blaming everyone for everything you think its bush and his oil ? look at africa and them 3rd world countries, all the genocides and how they burn everything to the ground and in the middle east when the people riot every day and burn and destroy things, bush and his oil isnt the cause of global warming the world is the cause so shut up and stop blaming bush and everyone else for the world issues when you look at other countries and their ways of things and processing you think half of em have regulations on emmisons of things like factories and stuff as we do ? they dont so if you want to blame everything on global warming go move to california and complain there ( nothing aginst ...well not all californians are bad i got some relatvies who moved there from here ):mad: :mad:

Ruby Soho
12-12-2006, 03:01 PM
wow, guess we better do something

but we wont, because all we care about is money.

we, not as in us or exriders people, but government and politicians etc..

Quad18star
12-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
thats it, im moving up north with greg:devil:

HAHAHA . Let me know when you're moving and I'll bring a case of beer and watch you unload the moving truck . :devil:

But in all seriousness , when comparing how temperatures where when I was a young kid ( I'm only 23) and how they are now , things have drastically changed ... and that's in a relatively short period of time . Now compare weather we have now , to how the weather was when my dad was a kid ( over 50 years ago) , it's unbelieveable . I've seen pictures of snow high enough to walk onto the roof of their house ... and that's no BS .

Again , this isn't something that has happened overnight , but has happened over the last 100-150 years when the use of fossil fuels and chemicals has hit an all-time high .

honda4life72
12-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by JJs450r
haha how you guys gettin the nice wheather im in nc and gettin crapped on with the 32 below lol

for real they better be glad thats it is warm ..i went hunting last saturday and it was 14 degrees out side lol

when in nc are you?

12-12-2006, 06:43 PM
i dont know what to beleive with TV and what not to with the internet anymore, but climate on the earth changes like this naturally, or we could just be a hair closer to the sun....Humans know just about nothing as far as the universe goes and what make the world go around, we are just in for a trip so i suggest we all just hold on tight and live your life how you want to......now im gonna go to work and spray oil all over the ground, drive a truck that gets less then 20 miles per gallon and then after that fire up every single 2 stroke i own :D

deathman53
12-12-2006, 07:29 PM
as others posted, the earth warming/cooling is a natural process. The earth has been warming for the past 10,000 years(somewhat around that), all it takes to cool the earth is a few volcano's to erupt, there was a bgi eruption in the mid 1800's that caused normally warm regions to be freezing cold, a 10 degrees(something close)drop world wide. Its a natural process, the earth warms, starts to melt the ice caps, the ice caps get completely melted, the warm/cold water/air flow is messed and the world goes into a sudden ice age, it stays for some time, and then starts to warms up.
Evidence????? If the earth hasn't been warming for the past 10,000 years, how are caveman caves now under water in france????? What about the maya underwater caves???? You think they had snorkles and air tanks? NO, the caves weren't under water when they occupied them!!!!
The ozone deplation is a human cause, cfc's from regrigeration units and such, do ir-reversable harm and it never goes away, the molecules mix into the ozone, break it up, then seperate back to the same and eat the next one.

AtvMxRider
12-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Rider-trx_250ex
showed that in 10 years the effects of global warming will be irreversable.

I think I heard that about 11 years ago:ermm: Stop watching so much tv