PDA

View Full Version : Case question??

StupidHurts
12-11-2006, 07:02 PM
I was just wondering if the years are differnt between cases? i have what i believe is an 86 engine now and i want to get extra cases but they are 88's, will they be different? also the cases were jsut glass bead blasted inside and out. what is this? and will it affect anything on the inside? thanks

Dave83
12-11-2006, 07:13 PM
85-89 cases will all mate to each other.There is a minor diff between some years where the front motor mount goes but doent affect anything.Bead blasting is like sandblasting,just doesnt pit the metal like sand.The blasting media is alot gentler.It is the prefered way to strip aluminum before polishing.

StupidHurts
12-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Ok thanks alot. Do you think i should get it powder coated or polished?

312R1
12-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by StupidHurts
Ok thanks alot. Do you think i should get it powder coated or polished?

I would powder coat them...the upkeep on polished stuff is a pain. I have brandnew cases ordered and before I do anything I'm getting them coated.;)

Dave83
12-12-2006, 04:21 PM
Youll get as many diferent opinions as you get replies.The last couple Ive done were left bare.Not polished or coated just wire brshed the factory paint off and left it that way.Some will argue that coating or even painting will hold heat in the motor.Probaly some truth to it.My next motor will probaly be painted.My bro-in-law builds race cars and he found an engine paint that works great.I think Ill try it.

TheFontMaster
12-12-2006, 05:33 PM
I would go with powdercoating, or moly coating. Molly coating will help to reduce heat. But also keep in mind that the bottom end doesn't get too hot compared to the rest of the engine. So whatever coating you put on there isn't going to keep in enough heat to make a difference. Now if it was the cylinder, I would advise against powdercoating.