PDA

View Full Version : Calling all GNCC 450R riders

Woodsracer400ex
12-11-2006, 06:12 PM
I recently bought a 2006 450r w/ 10 hours on it. Its loaded HRC kit, gt thunder suspension, houser steering stem...etc. I raced a 400EX up to this point and don't know a whole lot about these machines. I just want some pointers to get this bad boy ready for racing.

First I bought a 1/4 turn twist like my old 400ex had, big mistake either wide open or idle, so I ordered a 1/2 turn and am still waiting for it. Second is first gear is to high im always clutching the quad like a two stroke, should I go 13 up front or 39 in the rear? Also, I would like to detune the motor, it hits way to hard. I know it takes time to get use too. Esp. coming off a 400ex but I want the power to be more controlable, rolling on instead the hit. Should I put the stock air box lid back on and put the old muffler baffle back in and stock CDI box? Can you do any thing with the cam? Also the battery sucks! I will be last off the line everytime, it cranks so slow, it there a bigger battery I can get? Does GT thunder offer the atv four play a arms with there front shock conversion kit? I know these are a lot of questions but if anybody has experience in these area please give me some insite.

oldskoolex400
12-12-2006, 10:12 AM
go down in the front if that doesnt help sell the 450r and get another 400ex :rolleyes: i havent heard too many people wanting to "detune" a 450 i say ride it and leave it how it is and suck it up

gbcap
12-12-2006, 10:50 AM
after 10 hours of riding you will be wanting more power. trust me. i thought for sure i wouldn't ever need more power and i am 320 so my weight sucks alot of the stock power up. now my motor is off getting headwork, high comression piston, cam and all that jazz!!!

you will hate it if you 'detune' the bike.

oldskoolex400
12-12-2006, 10:52 AM
yep

400exrider707
12-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Try changing the cam to something a little less agressive. You shouldn't have any problem selling that cam on here or ebay.

Also if you dont like the power hit from the R dont ride a YFZ, cause the Honda has a very smooth linear powerband.

The battery has always been a huge problem on the 06 models. People are starting to spend the $500 in parts to convert to kick start so.... I dont know if they have a better battery out for it or not yet.:confused:

bwamos
12-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Put the intake/carb/cam/exhaust back to stock.. and keep the parts you have to open her up once you get used to her more. ;)

Woodsracer400ex
12-12-2006, 01:26 PM
I think my problem was the twist, when the thumb was on, it didn't bother me as bad but Im not sure if I was pushing it as hard as I am now? I will try my new 1/2 turn twist this weekend, and see if that makes things better, I don't want to make the motor stock just more controlable, I will try the stock air box lid first then go from there. I ride a lot of woods races here in the North Florida area, I was hoping a 39 rear sprocket would fix my 1st gear issue, I heard a 13 on the front was way to low?

oldskoolex400
12-12-2006, 03:40 PM
I don't want to make the motor stock just more controlable

that makes no sense, the only way to make it more controlable is to make it stock, if it has too much power gear it higher, not lower, the 450rs have a very smooth power ban your the first person i have heard complain about it :confused:

2muchquad
12-12-2006, 10:10 PM
believe it or not the slower novices and amateur riders feel they NEED more power in the woods when the experienced vet knows that a hard hitting motor isnt the way to go for a woods machine.A on/off light switch powerband will tire a rider in no time,unless the woodsman scrubs dont plan on finishing anyhow:D My bro went down one tooth on his 450r for woods.Hes top 5 in sr 1 and he still has the stock silencer on his 4 fiddy! So hp wont win the race for you,line selection and conditioning are more important;)

oldskoolex400
12-13-2006, 04:38 AM
believe it or not the slower novices and amateur riders feel they NEED more power in the woods when the experienced vet knows that a hard hitting motor isnt the way to go for a woods machine.A on/off light switch powerband will tire a rider in no time,unless the woodsman scrubs dont plan on finishing anyhow My bro went down one tooth on his 450r for woods.Hes top 5 in sr 1 and he still has the stock silencer on his 4 fiddy! So hp wont win the race for you,line selection and conditioning are more important

guess my old 250rs made it alot easier to ride the 4 pokes :confused:

ZSNOW
12-13-2006, 05:42 AM
you never wanna detune a bike unless its soo much power you can't hang on...i went from a blaster to my 400 and it was to much at first but i have had it for like 3 months and now i want more,ALOT more.so just give te bike some time and get used to it and you'll love it and want more:D ;)

red426ex
12-14-2006, 12:27 PM
as for the battery i would convert it to kick start i just did one at the local shop here for someone and it wasnt bad at all all you need to do i buy the washer that goes behind the spring and the spacer for when you take out the one-way sprocket from the electrick start and then buy the plug from honda that caps of where there starter shaft went though the case and your done its not $500 like some ppl say its very cheap actually and very easy to do i got it done in liek 2 hours tops so

Toadz400
12-14-2006, 02:46 PM
A lot of the people commenting in here sound like they have never raced or ridden in the woods for a long period of time. You really, really do not want a hard hitting powerband on your machine when the race you're in is all about endurance. The 2006 450R's do have a harder hitting powerband than the older ones and the 2006 YFZ's have a much smoother powerband compared to their older models.

Woodsracer, don't listen to anyone when they are telling you that you don't want to detune it. Why do you think 4-strokes are so much easier to ride than a 2-stroke, especially in GNCC conditions? Try going back to the stock cam or try riding an '06 or '07 YFZ or switching to an older 450R. As for switching back to a 400EX, that wouldn't be a bad idea if the engine weren't so lacking in the performance department compared to the 450's.

2muchquad
12-14-2006, 09:28 PM
A lot of the people commenting in here sound like they have never raced or ridden in the woods for a long period of time. You really, really do not want a hard hitting powerband on your machine when the race you're in is all about endurance

Thank you Toadz:D Im glad somebody else also knows what they are talking about.:D

12-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
A lot of the people commenting in here sound like they have never raced or ridden in the woods for a long period of time. You really, really do not want a hard hitting powerband on your machine when the race you're in is all about endurance. The 2006 450R's do have a harder hitting powerband than the older ones and the 2006 YFZ's have a much smoother powerband compared to their older models.

Werd.

Woods racing is all about controllable power. You don't really need alot of power, but you do need to be able to control it.

I'd be curious to know if Bil Balance, Chris Borich and William Yokely detuned their rides. They prolly can control it, but fer sure they've set their bikes up for woods.

I loved my 250R, but daggum sometimes it could get me into a wad of trouble in the woods.

oldskoolex400
12-15-2006, 01:51 PM
I'd be curious to know if Bil Balance, Chris Borich and William Yokely detuned their rides. They prolly can control it, but fer sure they've set their bikes up for woods.

nope they train and ride everyday are in excellent shape they need all the power they can get to win the races, i have ridden my yfz in lengths of around 5-7 hours of hard running i am not affected in anyway differently than riding my old 400 would

Woodsracer400ex
12-15-2006, 03:48 PM
I am not going to detune the bike, actually I put a CR pro twist 1/2 turn twist on today and it feels 10 times better. I race the the A class in here in Florida and know all about xc racing. I raced a 400ex stock for year and would smoke a lot of the 450r yfz's. It about suspension and rider well mainly rider.

oldskoolex400
12-15-2006, 03:55 PM
did you win on a 400ex last year?