PDA

View Full Version : Can PEP revalve my Elka's

forum
09-17-2002, 01:24 PM
Im getting some long travel Elka elites. And was wondering if down the road when i get them rebuilt. If PEP could rebuild/revalve them. THat way i get the best of both worlds. Elka quility construction and PEP's experience.

beerock
09-17-2002, 01:27 PM
I dont see why they coudlnt.

I think a while ago i said that would be the best way to get the value out of the elkas...

Nausty
09-17-2002, 06:32 PM
are you serious? I should try doing that when my shocks need rebuilt, that would be great if I could do that.

forum
09-18-2002, 08:05 AM
Does anybody know??? JEFF?? RICO??

Dave400ex
09-18-2002, 08:09 AM
If PEP can`t, I was thinking about having Santo Derisi revalve/rebuild mine. He is suppose to be really good.

09-18-2002, 08:39 AM
I'd say they could but why not have like the quadshop do it???

forum
09-18-2002, 08:01 PM
I don't want them to be revalved the same as elka does it. I want PEP spec's internaly. so I would send them to baldwin. I would just like to know if they could do that.?? I know i should call them but I have along time before I'm going to do this soo. I just thought i'd ask on here

Pro400EXC
09-18-2002, 09:23 PM
Well seeing that the PEP's and Elka's are diffrent shock bodies,I don't see how they could,but who knows....

If It was me,I'd send them to axis,cause there basically the saem thing......I eman ,look exactley the same,and have the same bodies (colors may be diff.)

airheadedduner
09-19-2002, 12:14 AM
They should be able to. Just because elka and PEP use different shock bodies don't mean they can't revalve them.

QuadRacer041
09-19-2002, 04:13 AM
why dont you just by pep's instaed?????

forum
09-19-2002, 08:27 AM
Cause i can get Elka's alot cheaper then most of you guys.atleast 10%off(and cheaper then pep's) and I like the Elites, and I'm not sure if pep makes long travels, and PEP's quility in construction is lower, and I can get Elka's in under a week.

I think i have a few good reasons, don't you?!?!?

I really hope they can. I wanna try different builders, Mybe the second time around I'll try axis.

beerock
09-19-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by forum
Does anybody know??? JEFF?? RICO??

I dont get it?
actually I do but :p

valving is valving depending on the cc volume of the different shocks will make the valving different...

if the cc volume of the oil is the same as a pep shock then I could say, 99% of the time the valving will be like peps...
(as long as pep or baldwin does it....)

QuadRacer041
09-19-2002, 11:30 AM
not really,
so pep isnt good enough for u to use there shocks but there good enough to set them up?
id tell yea to take a walk if i were them.

forum
09-19-2002, 01:13 PM
yep thats right. And if they tell me to take i walk then I will. All i did is ask a simple question. I think elka is the best built shock produced. but they are still learning the valveing, Whats the big deal??

Pro400EXC
09-19-2002, 02:42 PM
^^ THATS A fUNNY ONE....i ALWAYS THOUHG axis WHERE THE EBST PRODUCED,AND IT SEEMS TO ME, elka USE'S axis BODIES...... and AXIS is a division of Penske racing,with makes some bad arse car shocks,and sponsor a Cart team..i am just babling...

But i think PEP's ands AXIS are better shocks,in my opinion...but don't rip my head off now for saying that....

Bean
09-19-2002, 03:02 PM
i also personally belive that TCS, PEP, and AXIS are better than ELKA, but thats me, also, that could change if they could get one halfway decent mx racer to race on elka's

forum
09-19-2002, 03:36 PM
Elka builds their own bodies. Tcs and Pep do not. Elka consturction techniques are for the most part exactly the same as axis. The one thing different is the canister attatchment. Elka uses a better fitting for there remote rezzies, and also offfer piggy backs witch dispearse the heat better. I never said Elka make better shocks. All i said is that they are built structualy better. It's only a matter of time before they get there valving techniques perfected. And thats the truth. ...I still may get axis. But i will never get PEP's. I don't like there bodies.

QuadRacer041
09-19-2002, 03:47 PM
they make the best shock built,,,,they just dont work right, thats basically what your saying.

not to rip people who have elka's,inever riding them so i really dont know if there good or not but just from reading forums here i would say that more people make post's saying they had problems with there elka's then people who say they work good.
i have a 400ex and an R both with pep zps shocks, both were just put on directly from pep and not need to be adjusted hardly at all. of course sometimes i change comprestion setting in the front and rebound in the rear depending on what track i ride but........i didnt have to mess with ride height nothing, perfect right out of the box......and not to blow my own horn but i think i put my shocks through some ride conditions.

Dave400ex
09-19-2002, 04:41 PM
Well I think the only reason People think Elka`s are bad are because of the Valving. If Mark Baldwin setup the Elka`s everybody would think they are good. It`s just because Pro`s are not using the Elka`s is why people don`t like them. As for porblems, there are many more happy customers then ones that are mad. At least Elka will fix your problems or help you out. I think Axis is #1, and PEP/Elka are tied for #2, and TCS is #3. Most Guys forget about Derisi Shocks and I looked at them and have talked to Guys that have them and haven`t heard one bad thing about them yet. I think if I was to get new Shocks again it would be between Elka or Derisi. PEP`s wait is to long, TCS I think is more of a MX Shock, and Axis are to expensive although Derisi`s are up there, but the wait would be shorter. If Mark Baldwin setup the Elka`s, they would be just as good as the PEP`s, if not better. Just buy whatever you like, you won`t go wrong with any Shocks.

Pro400EXC
09-19-2002, 05:21 PM
Hmmmm...I always thought the PEP ZPS used PEP's own bodies,and the Race Series use's the works bodies???

Lou,please elighten me,cause i think these guys are wrong,but who knows.......

holeshot19
09-19-2002, 05:37 PM
out in my shop i have bikes with elkas , axis, and dersi shocks on them most people never had any after market shocks untill theres blew out hel| ive seen riders wear people out on the tracks and woods on stock stuff, not many people have the means to buy those high end shocks.so get what you can stand and ride you as: off.

beerock
09-19-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by forum
Elka uses a better fitting for there remote rezzies, and also offfer piggy backs witch dispearse the heat better.

the piggy backs do not disperse the heat better they KEEP the HEAT and make the shocks fade faster.

the remote resiviors are away from the shock and are cooler then the shock bodies which helps in shock fade.

the piggies fade faster...

QuadRacer041
09-20-2002, 03:52 AM
im really not sure if pep use works body's all i know is the shaft's are bigger then the works shaft's.
warrior,
im sure there alot of people who love there elka's but like i said there are a he11 of a lot of people here who have complained about there's.

Dave400ex
09-20-2002, 09:28 PM
Yeah there has been but it`s not that bad anymore. I haven`t seen any Guys not happy here lately.

trx400ex
09-21-2002, 09:34 AM
guys, if you want PEP valved shocks, buy PEP shocks.....

as far as PEP using works bodies, i dont think thats the case..i have had the PEP "race" shocks and the "ZPS", the "race" bodies look very similar to works ive seen, so thats probably where you get that idea.. the ZPS bodies are not works as far as i can tell, but, who cares? ive never seen a PEP shock break, unless you count mine that was ran into a tree at 40mph. but give me an elka shock that will stand to that......

QuadRacer041
09-21-2002, 10:59 AM
.......thank you!:cool: