PDA

View Full Version : does a cam swap viod all waranty

mustangflyboy
12-11-2006, 03:53 PM
does a cam swap viod all warranty on a new atv? What about exhaust mods?

GPracer2500
12-11-2006, 04:11 PM
No. You can swap a cam, exhaust parts, or just about anything else without voiding your warranty. There's no single act (except maybe sanctioned racing) that will void the entire warranty. If you replace a cam, exhaust, or whatever and something fails then the warranty is only affected if the dealer can link the failure to the replacement part or how it was installed.

Example: You replace your cam and your CDI fails. The CDI is still covered by the warranty because the CDI's failure had nothing to do with your aftermarket cam. In order to deny warranty on the CDI the dealer (and by extension, the manufacture) will have to prove that the cam caused the CDI to fail.

If you replace your stock piston with a 15:1 aftermarket piston and your connecting rod breaks, then don't expect warranty coverage for your rod. It wouldn't be hard for the dealer to make a clear connection between your aftermarket piston and the failed rod.

Dealers love to get away with as much as they can when it comes to denying warranty coverage. They gain nothing and probably actually loose money by performing most warranty work. They don't want to do it if they can help it.

Just remember that the dealer does not get to decide what is covered and what is not. Ultimately it's not their decision even though they'd love us to believe it is. The language of the written warranty and Federal law defines what is and what is not covered. Research the The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act for more details.

mustangflyboy
12-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback. How many of you guys got the extended warranty? Anyone regret not getting it?

Architects
12-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Ive got it. Already had them replace my frame. Bill came out to 1k. Paid nothing.

mustangflyboy
12-11-2006, 07:15 PM
what happened to your frame?:eek2:

Architects
12-11-2006, 07:18 PM
cracked shock tower. I also had my new frame Powdercoated and gussetted from Ken and Bkperformance

Sjorge450R
12-11-2006, 07:26 PM
i have the 6 month on my 05. I prob wont have a chance to use it since I just put a end cap on two days ago. if something does break, we have all of my wiring setup so we can just unplug everything and plug the old stuff back in. Oh and racing doesnt void the warrenty. Its just as soon so as you alter the motor (things like pipe) they wont cover it.

Architects
12-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Wrong. I took my bike in for warranty work with all my mods including a full pipe and had no problem being covered. I was even told just to take my numbers off if I race when I bring it in next.

Sjorge450R
12-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Architects
Wrong. I took my bike in for warranty work with all my mods including a full pipe and had no problem being covered. I was even told just to take my numbers off if I race when I bring it in next.

wow. I wish my dealer was like that. the only way that I can get away with a new cam is if they install it, but why would I let them do that??? lol

mustangflyboy
12-11-2006, 08:50 PM
interesting. A few different views on something I thought would be cut and dry. I guess I'll have to ask my dealer how they'll handle situations.

GPracer2500
12-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
wow. I wish my dealer was like that. the only way that I can get away with a new cam is if they install it, but why would I let them do that??? lol

Your dealer is feeding you a line that is to their advantage. It is ILLEGAL for a dealer to deny all warranty coverage because you installed a cam yourself. Unless, of course, something fails because the installation or the cam itself was faulty. But even then the only part of the warranty that is forfeited is that problem directly caused by the cam--all other parts of the machine are still covered.

Mustang, the part that is not cut and dry is how easy it may be to deal with a dealer that wants to try and wiggle out of honoring their obligation. Just because you're right about something doesn't mean the dealer can't make it a hassle for you.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act does many things. One of them is to prevent companies from forcing consumers into having to use dealer provided services and parts in order to maintain warranty coverage. That's called a tie-in sales provision and it's ILLEGAL. The reason Congress passed this law was not so folks could remove factory items for higher performance replacements. But that is one side-effect. The reason for the law is so you don't have to take your vehicle to the dealer for an oil change and so you don't have to buy OEM replacement parts to maintain your warranty. The OEM manufacture isn't going to warranty an aftermarket part, but it's use won't automatically void the warranty on the rest of the engine/chassis/whatever.

If a dealer is giving you the runaround I'd 1) know the law and 2) call American Honda directly (866-784-1870). Then when you talk to the service manager at the dealership you've got facts that can be backed up by the law and Honda themselves. As soon as a most service managers see that you're not going to roll over and take their word for it, they'll cooperate (as they should have from the get go). If all else fails, contact the FTC and file a complaint.

wykyd z400
12-12-2006, 04:52 AM
For those with the extended warranty, how long is it extended, and whats the cost?? Thanks.

jjm400ex
12-12-2006, 05:26 PM
u can buy a extended warrennty from 2years to 4 years, 4 yr cost about 500-600 $$$ i bought the 4 yr warrenty, havent had to use it yet.

bluebaron
12-12-2006, 08:11 PM
I got the 5 year, for $464 when i bought it.

Architects
12-12-2006, 11:21 PM
The genuine honda is only 4 years. Which is 6 months factory and then you add 42 months for an additional cost. 48 months equaling 4 years.

bigal74848
12-14-2006, 07:46 PM
GPRACER - Concerning warranty - Manufactures can and will (If it is at there advantage) void all or a portion of a warranty because of performance items or modifications. I work for a Truck dealership and we see it all the time. It specially states in the owners manual (Vech) that performance items and / or modications can void your warranty. Case in point is these performance chips for gas/diesels. If one comes into the shop that alone can void a portion of there warranty. This is becoming more and more frequent.
The problem is individual dealers like motorcyle dealers handle these situations differently. It all boils down to the potential of the dealership being "Charged Back" a warranty repair because the part wasn't defective, and you better believe the manufactures get these parts sent back to them and they check them for failure.
The dealer I purchased my bike from is very easy to work with and the impression I've got is modifications or "tuning" by me won't void my warranty. I haven't had to test that feeling yet as my YFZ hasn't had to go back to the shop.
My point is if you have a major failure that involves an high expense item I know I wouldn't take the chance of not getting it warrantied regardless of our rights.
Remember manufactures have deep pockets that can pay lawyers to protect there interests. I know I couldn't afford to hire a lawyer to take them to court to repair a bike...
tks
Big Al