PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Using Slime???

Mark
09-17-2002, 12:27 PM
I HAVE A SLOW BEAD LEAK THAT I CANT SEAL EVEN AFTER RESEATING IT TWICE. I PUT 16OZ. OF SLIME IN EACH REAR TIRE AND SWISHED IT AROUND THE BEAD AREA INSIDE THE TIRE.
NOT SURE IF IT WORKED YET. ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH BEAD LEAKS, OR SLIME IN SPORT QUAD TIRES? PROS? CONS?:confused:

Ben
09-17-2002, 12:55 PM
I have had good luck with Slime in my sport quad tires but not to seat the bead - just to stop leaks in the sidewall and tread areas. I don't believe Slime would do anything to stop a bead leak. It sounds like you rims are bent - and in that case you are going to have to buy a new rim to treat this problem; or have your old rim bent out, but for my money I'd rather pick up a new rim or tire if they are old and badly damaged.

Houser Cannondale
09-17-2002, 02:38 PM
your tire could also have something wrong with the bead.

Nausty
09-17-2002, 05:01 PM
whatever you do don't use to much of that slime cuz then it starts balling up in your tires and they go out of balence.

jay's 300
09-18-2002, 06:02 PM
I had a small pin hole in my rear tire, used the slime, now it seems to be fine.

BigDog400ex
09-18-2002, 06:47 PM
I used slime in my tires and it threw them out of balance and made me vibrate at really high speeds, You might want to try and use soapy water when mounting your tires, i had a leak and poured rubber cement around a bent spot in my rim. It stills workin. i did it on the front though:devil

lil400exman
09-19-2002, 10:39 AM
i found out it is usally not seated right i laked to a atv tire shop he said he has only had on bad tire since he has oned the place it is down in tennesse it has been open for i htink like 16 years he said just take it to walmart of a tire repair shop or lawnmower shop and have them mount it and stuff for ya 2-6 per tire i know that was the case iwth my razrs in tenn he did that never has leaked! he took them off and remounted them!;)

09-19-2002, 06:36 PM
Im not a big fan of slime

R-Crazy
09-19-2002, 06:57 PM
i would ride w/o it. it is great. you just have to ride fast right after you put it in. that is why everyone has these problems.

dave

Mark
09-20-2002, 01:13 PM
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES!!!! AFTER I ADDED SLIME I RODE FOR ABOUT 3 MINUTES, AT ABOUT 20MPH. CHECKED TIRE NEXT DAY, WENT FROM 61/2LB. TO 2LB.(DIDN'T WORK) I CAN ONLY HOPE THAT MAYBE IT MAY GET IN THE RIGHT SPOTS AFTER A GOOD LONG RIDE.:)

JabberJaw
09-20-2002, 01:43 PM
I don't know about you, but I use Astro Glide.

2k2-300exnj
09-20-2002, 09:34 PM
dont use slime!!!
my uncle did in his stock raptor and that thing had tire shake like a funny car when throttle was hit hard

jwisniew
09-21-2002, 08:05 PM
i like it, it stoped a leak in mine and when that tire went flat i just put air in it and the slime went right to the leak and stopped it

09-21-2002, 09:24 PM
I have used Slime in my mountain bike tires, and it works great for little punctures. I don't think it would do any good on a bead leak though. Think about it. How are you going to get the slime to the bead? When you put it in, it is going to sit at the bottom of the tire, and when you ride, it is going to be forced to the outer edges by centrifigul force. If you get any to the bead, it won't be much. And like others have said, you could have balance issues. It isn't a problem on a mountain bike, but I could never do 60mph on my bike!!

Anyway, that is just my 2 cents.
Darth Calvin

ESR250R
09-22-2002, 07:26 AM
just wait until a cold morning when u go to ride your quad and then you'll know y slime sucks. it causes some mean whobbling.

Houser Cannondale
09-22-2002, 08:49 AM
will slime freeze in the tires in the winter?? i think it has some antifreeze additive in it but im not sure. does anyone know?

ESR250R
09-22-2002, 08:55 AM
it doesnt freeze in the winter but when it sits over night it will all go to one end of your tire and it gets thicker in the winter and that causes it to stay in that one spot. so when u try to ride it u get a rough ride. once the tire gets warm or its spun enough it goes away for the most part.