PDA

View Full Version : Twisted Steering stem?!?!

stocktires
12-10-2006, 07:59 PM
My stem was bent a decent amount and twisted just the slightest by the previous owner. It's a JRD stem that goes with the chassis. I'd like to use it rather than another aftermarket.
A friend of my dad's straighted the bend out at a machine shop. Is there any way to twist it back too? It only needs to be twisted a little bit.

400exrider707
12-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by stocktires
My stem was bent a decent amount and twisted just the slightest by the previous owner. It's a JRD stem that goes with the chassis. I'd like to use it rather than another aftermarket.
A friend of my dad's straighted the bend out at a machine shop. Is there any way to twist it back too? It only needs to be twisted a little bit.

The metal has already yielded... and now that its been bent back its even weaker. It will never be as stron as it was.:ermm:

kyleschonert
12-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Is it a chrome one? My friend had a Houser one on his YFZ and he wrecked and twisted his stem. They tried to straighten it again, but it twisted again. They had to send it back to Houser and got a new one. May want to see if JRD can do anything.

stocktires
12-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Nah, it's not chrome. JRD doesn't have any spares. Joe said its stock 250r geometry for the stem, so I may end up getting a different aftermarket anti-vibe stem if I can't fix the JRD stem and have it still be strong.

400exrider707
12-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by stocktires
if I can't fix the JRD stem and have it still be strong.

You cant....just get another one. Keep it as a spare or something. Also I like to stay away from the chrome ones myself, as I've heard that the chroming process actually makes the stem a little weaker.