PDA

View Full Version : mx shock setup

exrider49
12-10-2006, 07:01 PM
i see everyone who rides mx has there quads slammedto the ground....dont you guys ever bottom out on jumps?? i have elkas and im afriad to make my ride height as low as other ppl's because i dont want to bottom out?? or can i lower my ride height and raise my compression up more??im totally lost i would appreciate your guy's help

400exrider707
12-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Depends on certain tracks but my usual MX ride height is sat at 7 3/4 in the rear, and 8 in the front. This is measured with the rider on the quad, and for the rear measure right below the footpegs, and for the front measure right behind the a-arms where the frame is still straight tubing not where it bends up.

12-11-2006, 09:32 AM
I run at 6" and i dont bottom that much.

400exrider707
12-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Dhumpalo
I run at 6" and i dont bottom that much.

For what Flat-track? Why would you put it that low, thats waaay too much sag, and now your not using your suspension to its potential.:rolleyes:

12-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
For what Flat-track? Why would you put it that low, thats waaay too much sag, and now your not using your suspension to its potential.:rolleyes:

The lower you are the faster you can turn and the better it will handle. As long as i down side each jump like your sosposed to i dont bottom. The more sag the lower you jump and the more the tires will stay on the ground. I had it set at 3" of gc but like that their was only like 1" of shaft showing so it wouldnt handle any hting that way.

exrider49
12-11-2006, 06:17 PM
could i tighten the compression up more if i do bottom out.. btw i am running elkas and i am set at like 7 1/2 inches and i wantto be around 6 and i bottomed out a few times when it was that low but wut if i tightened up the compression becuz it wasnt even half way turned to the hardest setting

toomeyshee87
12-11-2006, 09:48 PM
wont you get hung up in ruts and stuff when your that low?

pudamac12
12-12-2006, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by exrider49
could i tighten the compression up more if i do bottom out.. btw i am running elkas and i am set at like 7 1/2 inches and i wantto be around 6 and i bottomed out a few times when it was that low but wut if i tightened up the compression becuz it wasnt even half way turned to the hardest setting

if someone other then elka has valved your shocks it might help. It seems like elka is only using one valving setup and changing spring rates for different weights and riding styles. The aftermarket companies who revalve will be able to set it up for you better.

400exrider707
12-12-2006, 09:49 AM

Well if you lower that much you can turn the compression up I guess, then you'll have a really choppy and rough ride, which kind of defeats the purpose of getting aftermarket shocks to begin with.

400exrider707
12-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Dhumpalo
The lower you are the faster you can turn and the better it will handle. As long as i down side each jump like your sosposed to i dont bottom. The more sag the lower you jump and the more the tires will stay on the ground. I had it set at 3" of gc but like that their was only like 1" of shaft showing so it wouldnt handle any hting that way.

Which is exactly why I asked if you were running flat track because 6" at the frame is just dumb. Why not take off your shocks and run really short 300ex shocks? Might as well since your not using whatever shocks you have on there correctly.:rolleyes:

exrider49
12-12-2006, 01:17 PM
i am running mx and they are on there and being used correctly i just wanted to kno what happened if i turned up the compression more if i lowered more....i only bottomed out once when i over shot a jump....

400exrider707
12-12-2006, 04:40 PM
i am running mx and they are on there and being used correctly i just wanted to kno what happened if i turned up the compression more if i lowered more....i only bottomed out once when i over shot a jump....

I was talking about Dhumpalo about not running proper setup.

Turning it up will make it stiffer, obviously. You can just try it and see how you like it. Also if you are not bottoming out every once in a while your shocks are not set up correctly. They should bottom!!!

exrider49
12-12-2006, 07:14 PM
these are my first set of aftermarket shoclks..so i should be bottoming out then???

exrider49
12-12-2006, 07:53 PM
well i just measured my ride hight and it is almost 9"...i have stock rear shock and i am gonna send it out after new years so then i an set my ride height, i havent had the money for the rebuilt rear yet

400exrider707
12-13-2006, 01:30 AM
well i just measured my ride hight and it is almost 9"...i have stock rear shock and i am gonna send it out after new years so then i an set my ride height, i havent had the money for the rebuilt rear yet

If your running aftermarket ZPS style fronts and a stock rear, then dont even bother because it will never ride correctly...

exrider49
12-13-2006, 03:40 PM
i thought that but i dont have the $$ for a rbuild rite now becuz imn only 16, i am still paying on the shocks, i only have a parttime job and i couldnt let my quad set..i have rode it 1 time on an indoor track and decided i neeed suttin for the rear

400exrider707
12-13-2006, 03:45 PM
I hear ya, its an expensive sport to say the least, but do yourself a favor and do it right the first time. If you cant afford to, then just save and hold off til you can.;)