PDA

View Full Version : 300ex piston

honda965
12-10-2006, 04:17 PM
mine are shot, but i wanna get like a big bore...so i didnt wanna get new pistons and than get a big bore and just throw that money away...if i went out and got pistons today wat else could i get for my motor that is gonna make it faster and i dont have to shave/deck my cylinder.

250X_project
12-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Okay....A 300EX is a single cylinder, it only has one piston. Before I list the almost endless options for this engine... What are you after? No matter what you do to the engine (exept rev box) it will not give you any more speed at all. Just more power....

honda965
12-11-2006, 06:43 AM
speed or power, either or i just need more

250X_project
12-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Good to know. Next, what do you have now? All stock? What do you want to spend?;)

bwamos
12-12-2006, 07:06 AM
Aye give us a price range.. and we can give you some options for the best bang for your buck.

And as he said.. we need to know all your current modifications from stock where the powerplant is involved. (exhaust, intake, etc..)

honda965
12-12-2006, 08:11 AM
k&n full exhaust 400ex carb uni filters wanna spend like 500$

honda250xrider
12-12-2006, 08:19 AM
i would say big bore now save your money until you can afford to get better springs harden rockers and a camshaft that right there could easily be $500 alone. With most cam's you will need to do this unless you want to put major where into your motor. Best bet may just be get your big bore and you might be able to get a port job with the extra money left then you will be ready to go next time around.

250X_project
12-12-2006, 04:40 PM
If you can find him..... Scott from ProFab ATV sells 80mm big bores for around $200. With the extra $300 you can get cam and springs and hardface your rockers.

honda250xrider
12-12-2006, 04:43 PM
last reciept i had from scott for a 80mm big bore was $315, i heard he joined some other company... not sure which then you have to take into consideration that you have to press the new sleeve in and most require you to bore the cases i would say you would be wise to throw in at least another $100 to put in the budget and then this would end up with 415. And if he doesnt do the labor himself he will be over his budget unless he finds someone fairly cheap. Going into these motors and trying to find alot of hp is not easily done and will cost money. I would say save up 800 then do everything at once like you want to do. get yourself a decent all around cam-around $120-$150 with core exchange usually, springs-$100-$150, Harden rockers- $120
so lets add this up

$120 cam
$120 springs
$120 rockers
$415 bore
$? labor charge plus shipping fees you will experience.

total- $775 without any labor and shipping besides the sleeve with most cannot do without sending this out to a machine shop.

I would suggest just saving a bit more, it will be worth it in the long run, just wait for your christmas sure you can find some more money then. this does not include that you will have to experiement with the jets which cost you money around 5 bucks a pop, then with this you are really restricting your motor i would honestly would like to see some kind of mild port work done because simply the stock ports suck on these machines. I would add another 200 at least for a decent mild port job. Like you wanted you want to do everything at once and everything almost i just listeted serves the purpose for the other. To me a port job is a most in this build if you want a big bore but some dont think so. I just want you to know what you are getting into when you start doing this alot of people tell you prices but im just trying to make you see realisticaly what you will end up spending on the motor when you are done and finished. I know everytime i did my motor i never really thought about the shipping charges and alot of the other minor things that really add up by the time your done.

2muchquad
12-21-2006, 03:58 PM
The biggest bang for your buck will be the 298cc kit with a 400ex carb and a good exhaust system.Get the exhaust first and get the 400 carb if you have the loot;)

250X_project
12-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by honda250xrider
last reciept i had from scott for a 80mm big bore was $315,

He quoted me at $199 for the 80mm a few months ago... The machining is a good point though. Exhaust definitely comes first.

honda250xrider
12-22-2006, 08:49 PM
he must of came down on the price some, do you know who he is working for now? I havn't seen/heard about him for awhile, does this kit come with the gasket and everything or just the sleeve and piston? I know when he was pro fab atv i liked him the first couple times i used him but the last couple times i used him his service completely SUCKED!!! took him nearly 4 months to get me just my head back and big bore, It took me finally sending him a letter stating what i was going to do before he even called me or even returned anything back to me, Long story short i would not to business with him again.

250X_project
12-22-2006, 09:28 PM
That's the price he gave me. This is "the entire kit" with shipping and insurance included. I believe he is Scott Smith Racing now...

So if you can contact him and don't mind a little wait he would be great to do business with.